Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Interesting ....

Ross Brown

I posted an ad for a guitarist on Craigslist. I did not include the web site address. I got 170 hits on the first day. When I have posted an ad with the web site address listed I don't get close to that, just a handful.... people like to search for it???

Just thought that it was interested....

BTW, have two good prospects... wish me/us luck!

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The difference being "I need a guitarist" and "I need a guitarist, see me at www.notyourtypeofmusic.com"

Figure a good 40% would rather eat bugs than play "my" kind of music. Another 20% don't like your set list. Another 20% want to want to be in a band (yes, I meant to type that). To respond to a generic request, easy. To actually respond to a real band that wants a real guitar to play real music at real gigs, not so much.

I am continually astounded by the number of people that flake as soon as they figure out I'm talking about a real, no-crap, gigging band and not some mindless garage project.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

The difference being "I need a guitarist" and "I need a guitarist, see me at www.notyourtypeofmusic.com"

Figure a good 40% would rather eat bugs than play "my" kind of music. Another 20% don't like your set list. Another 20% want to want to be in a band (yes, I meant to type that). To respond to a generic request, easy. To actually respond to a real band that wants a real guitar to play real music at real gigs, not so much.

I am continually astounded by the number of people that flake as soon as they figure out I'm talking about a real, no-crap, gigging band and not some mindless garage project.

I wouldn't disagree with this. On the other side, I am astounded at how many people flake as soon as they figure out that I am talking about "a real, no-crap, gigging band" when I respond to their ad. Craigslist is a tool, just one of many. Its a numbers game. I found an EXCELLENT keyboard/piano player indirectly when I answered an ad and was disappointed in the project. So was the piano player who showed up. When I called him to see if he was interested in another project that I was gigging in, he came on board with us and we have been on a good run with him for almost two years (maybe 30-40 dates per year). Not only is he a gifted player, but a good fit otherwise to this particular project. So it can always work out well, if you persist.

SNF has it pretty much right. Basically if you leave things wide open people are more apt to roll the dice and see what happens. The more information you give them the more things they can say "no" to.

Now, if you spelled things out completely (rock/cover band, ages blah to blah, here is our set list, we play 6 times a month at these venues) and the only thing you left off was the band name, well, then I guess a picture speaks a thousand words, eh? (That is, once they get to your website they can peruse the band photos and see just what they have to deal with.)

I am astounded at how many people flake as soon as they figure out that I am talking about "a real, no-crap, gigging band" when I respond to their ad.
That's why it is better to network with musicians who are already in working bands.

It's a little tough to get your foot in the door if you're not already in (or were in) a working band. Probably the best thing in that case is to attend all the open jams hosted by bands that have more on their schedule than just the open jam. Let 'em see you in action and see that you're not going to flake out.

From there let them know you're having trouble finding a band. If you're the best thing on their radar when they or someone they know needs a bass player you'll get the call. You may need to become a regular at their jam, though, to stay on their radar.

In my experience, if I post this ad:

"Bass player looking for musicians"

I get tons of replies. If I place an add like this:

"Bass player looking for musicians to start band in X genre. Everyone must learn their own parts at home and come to a rehearsal prepared. Planning to do first gig in X months"

I will get between zero and no replies. If I follow up ad one with the explanation from ad two, the correspondence stops.

I hate musicians.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

I once placed an ad and what I did was tell everyone who called up, "Give me your address. I will send you a song list. Learn four songs from the list (which was very large) and then call back to set up an audition time."

This method received about 20 calls initially and only three of them called back for the actual audition. It was way better than actually having 20 people come over. We did find someone to hire out of the three people.

I think you can learn a lot about what not to do by scanning the poorly written non-specific titles of ads on craigslist. I agree that being clear about your parameters in the ad will filter out some time wasters, but unless you are a top flight, highly regimented band, a little self deprecation can help. While some players have a firm hand on their actual skill level, many fall in the I Think I Am Better Than I Really Am, or I'm Insecure And Don't Want To Put My Head On The Chopping Block.

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

[highlight] - Life is too short for bad tone - [/highlight]

Bob, I cannot say I disagree with you. But still, it is my experience that writing specifically what you want - be it in an ad or in an email exchange once initial contact has been made - just plain scares most people away.

A little while ago I was (yet again) working towards getting a classic rock band together. Placed an ad and a drummer responded. I explained how I want everyone (myself included, obviously) to learn their parts at home so we can limit the number of rehearsals. I work abroad so my free time is scarce. And as much as I like playing with other musicians, I would prefer to do so on stage (and ideally get some means of pay for it, too).

What I got back was a message stating that he "wanted to get his skills up" (which is commendable) and therefore "had to (...) have weekly rehearsals with a band." Ehm, no. Get your skills up on your own time, not on mine. Learning a damned song or two is easily accomplished on your own, you do not need me spelling out the chord changes or indicating the fills, breaks and shuffles. And if you do, well I do not want you in my band.

Sadly, I seem to be the only person thinking like me around here! And I really do not think highly of my skills. Some of you have heard me play. It is not exceptional. Far from. I am not mister High & Mighty. But I do know what I want. Unfortunately for me, no one else wants the same thing ...

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Learning a damned song or two is easily accomplished on your own, you do not need me spelling out the chord changes or indicating the fills, breaks and shuffles. And if you do, well I do not want you in my band.

Some of you have heard me play. It is not exceptional. Far from. I am not mister High & Mighty. But I do know what I want. Unfortunately for me, no one else wants the same thing ...

I feel your pain.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

I'm finding that there's definately two main camps of musician. Those that never want to play to an audience and those who only want to play to an audience.

There is a third camp: I only want to play to my mates.

Unfortunately sometimes the guys in the first camp will hang out with the guys from the second camp but suddenly becone "unavailable" come trying to get gig dates organised.

At least with an upfront advert or Jeremy's approach you don't waste your time practicing for weeks with the wrong people.

I think its people's natural curiosity - "I wonder if those guys have a web site?" Then when they find you do it's second nature to click and enter. Rather than read the advert see that there is a website but just move on. Maybe just the way some people's minds work?

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

Archived