Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your first concert?

whitefang

The first one you went to see, I mean.

Mine was Hendrix. It was Feb. '68. He was booked at Detroit's Masonic Temple Auditorium. I could write an hour's worth about the trials and tribulations I suffered coming home from the show, but I'll just keep to the basics.

I paid $4 for my ticket. I was in the balcony, but the FIRST ROW of the balcony, and it was a good seat. There are really no "bad" seats in Masonic anyway. OK, so for my $4, I got a lot of music. The opening acts(YES! more than ONE!)consisted of;

A local group named Thyme;

Another local group, the MC5(pre "Kick Out The Jams");

A british trio named The Soft Machine;

THEN Hendrix came on.

That's a lot of music for $4!

I don't know if it's the romantic in me or not, but I have never seen any Hendrix concert footage where he sounded as good as he did either time I saw him. Or maybe I was just dazzled to be there. All I know is, it was the high point of my then 16 year life. Plus I think I got my first "contact high" that night as well.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The first concert I went to that involved a band I actually wanted to see was back in high school and that was Coheed and Cambria.

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

Incredible String Band, performing "U", in its entirety, with the Stone Monkey Mime Troupe (who came up with that name?), at the Fillmore East, March/April of 1970, IIRC.

Whitefang, that sounds like an incredible show! Hendrix, MC5 & Soft Machine? No wonder you got a contact high - music like that could alter your brain chemistry.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

First big concert I went to was a tour with Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and the Big Bopper - at the Montreal Forum shortly before their plane went down. That was the year Corky Laing became my drummer and way before Felix Pappalardi became our producer.

We came back to the Forum and also Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto opening shows for several known groups and artists - James Brown, Gene Pitney, Herman's Hermits, The Loving Spoonful, The Association, Chad & Jeremy, Peter & Gordon, BJ Thomas and others.

Corky and I got banned from The Hampton Diner in Long Island while playing a beach club in the Hamptons one summer - for getting into a food fight with The Young Rascals and girl group The Shangri-Las.

Is Rock & Roll fun or what...

Been round the block but am not over the hill...

http://www.bandmix.ca/jamrocker/

Molly Hatchet. I think the opening act was Rail. Anybody that watched MTV back when it was actually a music channel might have seen them if they watched Basement Tapes. They had bands send in videos and picked one band to sign a "record deal". That winning band was Rail. I don't think they actually went anywhere while Molly Hatchet went on to become the greatest Southern Rock band to not have a Van Zandt in it.

November 1964, Glasgow. Opener - Moody Blues who announced that their single 'Go Now' had gone to #1 that day.

Main act was Chuck Berry who lasted 3 numbers before the stage was invaded by idiots, someone tried to steal his guitar then the safety curtain came down.

Most memorable - Jimi Hendrix at Green's Playhouse, 1967, Glasgow.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Corky and I got banned from The Hampton Diner in Long Island while playing a beach club in the Hamptons one summer - for getting into a food fight with The Young Rascals and girl group The Shangri-Las.

Is Rock & Roll fun or what...

Oh man, the Shangri-Las looked so hot back then. I was only in the 6th grade, but I was in outright LUST with all of them.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

1979. I was sixteen. I saw the Romantics on the second show of the opening night of their first US national tour. It was at my all-time favorite convert venue, the Royal Oak Music Theater.

The early show was broadcast on the radio so I actually got to listen to the concert on the way to the concert. Quite fun.

I saw the Ramones at the Motor City Skate Rink a few weeks later and Rush at Cobo Arena a few weeks after that. I obviously had a thing for "R" bands back then.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Hey, Mudcat. How do you like the way they f---ked up Royal Oak?

Putting in tables and making it look more fit for dinner theater!

There ought to be a law.

And I really liked the Rascals. Too bad they just dropped like a brick off the Earth. Didn't even fade gracefully. Just can't understand it.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Lynrd Skynrd, Pronounced, It was on their first tour before they really hit it big. It was in a movie theatre in jonesboro, AR. and it held about 1500 people. It was sold out and general admission. Second row, dead center. We could hear the stage mix.

My first concert was Jose Feliciano, with Tom Chapin opening. Jose was really good on classical guitar; then blew me away when someone handed him an electric and he wailed on "Purple Haze".

My first ROCK concert was either The Police (Synchronicity tour)or David Gilmour (About Face tour); I forget which was first, but they were pretty close together.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

I was 16! Omaha civic auditorium! Metallica had just put out

thier Black album. This was thier pre tour! 3 1/2 hours of

nothing but Metallica! They didn't even take a full break. at

least one of them would stay out and play a solo! Blew my mind forever! what a Blast!\

Why do you lay down? I say that it beats standing up! whats got you feeling so down? I hold up my empty cup!

First Pop show - Neil Sedaka.

He became popular again after The Captain & Tennille had a hit.

First RAWK show - Black Sabbath, Mike Pinera & Cactus, Target.

1977 and it was $6:50 / General Admission like all the shows in the 70s. :thu:

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

Hey, Mudcat. How do you like the way they f---ked up Royal Oak?

Putting in tables and making it look more fit for dinner theater!

There ought to be a law....

I just saw this post. I am MORTIFIED! That's more depressing than the fact that they tore down Motor City Skate several years ago!

When did they screw up the Royal Oak? That place was a great venue. :(

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

My first was when I was 15 or 14, can't remember. A pop band that I guess most people here wouldn't know (or care about). I was just excited because it was my first concert. It was crowded, and I had a blast. Nothing extremely memorable from any perspective, but my own, I guess... :-)

If memory serves me right I think my first concert attended might have been the Stones in 1965 at the Hollywood Bowl. So I saw the Rolling Stones with Brian Jones, & later I saw the Stones with Mick Taylor. I have yet to see them with that new guy in the band.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

The first concert I went to as an adult- as in, the first that my parents didn't take me to- was Maynard Ferguson, the jazz trumpeter. OK show- he was past his prime, but still a good performer- but it was also a first/last date with a certain young lady...

My first rock concert? It was Savatage/Megadeth/Dio...and THAT story you can find in the "Worst Concert" thread.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Probably brass band concerts at the Iowa State Capitol as a little boy in Des Moines... or maybe a symphony concert. I seem to remember hearing "the Swan of Tuonela" a beautiful piece by Sibelius. Love them English horns, LOL! And they took me to see trumpeter Al Hirt.

Rock music? I don't remember which was first.. but I saw Cream, Blood Sweat & Tears, Capt. Beefheart, Johnny Winter, and a few others. I seem to remember Simon & Garfunkel.

Later on, I saw the Byrds, Weather Report, Herbie Hancock...

I cannot remember, I am sitting here and its all a mess in my head. I remember Type o negative in 91, I remember Michael Schenker that same year, and perhaps Steve Miller may have been earlier. But I was in the hospital for my first bought for ticket, Iron Maiden in 88, earlier in the day I ran a drill through my left hand. There was alot of smoke in my mind in those days.

Lok

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,

Archived