Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Turning a kb into a rack - possible?

Stormfront

Hi all,

My trusty Korg Triton pro is developing some quirks which I am almost positive are somewhat mechanical in nature. I think there are a couple of bad pots in the control section and possibly a bad joystick (mod/pitch). Also has a couple of flaky keys.

I am wondering if I could strip the engine out of it and make it into a rackmount as I really like a couple of the sounds in it. I would then use the PC3 to control it all.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Pete

ps I am fairly confident in my electronic skills, I have worked in medical imaging for 35 years!

"all generalizations are false" ~Mark Twain

Kurzweil K2000, ME-1 and (2)PC3, Casio PX-350 AND PX-360, EV sXa 360

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Simple answer: open the keyboard up, measure the motherboard. Is it wider than 18" wide? Then no.

Frankly, given the age of the unit and the cost of Triton racks, it'd make a hell of a lot more sense to just buy a used rack and use that.

With all due respect, if you aren't able to open and repair the symptoms you've mentioned, you're probably not going to have much luck doing a transplant and mod to get the board into a rack enclosure. Just my $0.02, of course, and YMMV... but if it were something you were capable of doing, this would probably have been a "look what I did to my old Triton keyboard" thread instead.

(Tongue planted firmly in cheek here, and as I mentioned, with all due respect... :D)

Sven,

I've been around here long enough to take your comments as intended - no worries. I was just wondering if anyone had ever done this. I looked at ebay too. A rack would be about $400.00

Mate - yes I am willing to spend even a couple of hundred.

I wasn't sure about the wisdom of doing this, that's why I asked.

Thanks for the feedback.

Pete

"all generalizations are false" ~Mark Twain

Kurzweil K2000, ME-1 and (2)PC3, Casio PX-350 AND PX-360, EV sXa 360

I've considered trying this with my Alesis Fusion. It's an unique enough instrument that I'd enjoy having it in my studio, but I don't have room for another set of keys.

Since Fusions are readily available and cheap, and no rack version exists it might be a worthwhile project. In general I wouldn't attempt something like this unless I was comfortable with the possibility of junking everything in the event of my destroying critical components in the transfer or other unintended consequences.

I am wondering if I could strip the engine out of it and make it into a rackmount as I really like a couple of the sounds in it. I would then use the PC3 to control it all.

Can you control it all with the PC3 now? If so, you might just try doing that for a while to see if it works out for you. Then decide if rack mounting the guts would be a fun project. If it won't be fun, it won't get done and you will wind up with a box of parts. Most of the issues you mention seem to be general cleaning and maintenance.

Good Luck.

Archived