Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MIDI question - Out & Thru

Mr. Nightime

I just have a quick question concerning the MIDI Out and Thru jacks

I just bought a Korg M3R on eBay, and am awaiting delivery. What I'd like to be able to do is control it using multiple controllers, set to different MIDI channels.

I have an Evolution MK361C that I'll have sending on one channel, and sending on another channel from my Hammond XB-2. The Evolution only has a MIDI out port. So, what I wanted to try is to go from the Evolution out to the Hammond in, then go from the Hammond to the M3R. The Hammond has In, Out & Thru.

I could break out the manual on the Hammond (When I can find all the pieces of it - it kinda fell apart) and look, but this seems like it would be just a basic MIDI question.

So, and I'm talking generalities here, not asking for specifics, If I come out of the Hammond Out, will the data from the Evolution go to the module, or if I come from the Hammond Thru, will the Hammond's data go to the module? Or am I going to have to get a MIDI merge to get this to work?

Sure, I can try it out, but the module won't be here until next week, and I'm mapping out my plans for it now.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's been a long time since I had an XB-2 and I can't remember if there is a MIDI merge function available. It shouldn't be hard to figure out though. Just go into the MIDI edit page and scroll around looking for something that says 'Merge ON/OFF' or anything to that effect and if you find it, turn it on. Then any data entering the XB-2 MIDI IN port will be merged with data generated by the XB-2 and sent to the MIDI OUT port, problem solved. On the other hand, if there is not a merge function, you'll need THIS

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

Thru only passes data along to the next piece of gear. For example if you hook your Evo midi out to the XK midi in, and then the midi thru from the XK to the module, the Evo will be controlling the module.

I used to run 2 boards and a module, set to multitimbral mode. The easiest way is to use a mid merge box like Dave linked, where you take the midi outs of each keyboard, plug them into the merge box, and the output of the merge goes to the input of the module. Then set each keyboard to a different midi send channel, and you'll be able to play 2 different sounds at once from the module.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

So, and I'm talking generalities here, not asking for specifics, If I come out of the Hammond Out, will the data from the Evolution go to the module, or if I come from the Hammond Thru, will the Hammond's data go to the module? Or am I going to have to get a MIDI merge to get this to work?

Yes. No. Maybe. ;)

You're going to have to break out the manual to see if the Hammond follows the MIDI spec (in which case, you're going to need a MIDI Merge box), or if it adds extra functionality (internal MIDI merging) that goes beyond the basic design.

Many controllers and boards with more advanced MIDI functionality will perform such merging, but this is beyond the scope of the basic MIDI design, and as such, you'll probably need an external merge box.

Only the manual will tell you for sure, though.

I've looked at the MIDI controls on the Hammond, and have never seen the Merge function that DaveMcM mentioned. The XB-2 was never intended as a controller, so I'm sure they just put in the basics.

My main thought on doing this was for one song in particular, anyway. I wanted to get a clav sound under my fingers on the Evolution, and horn section under my fingers on the Hammond. Then I'll layer the horns with the Hammond sound. I can still play the song, but having the clav coming from my SP200, with weighted action. Easier to get funky with the lighter action on the Evolution.

Yes, I did Google, and it looks like you're right about the merge box. I was just hoping.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

I toured with a pair of Hammond XB2s for nearly a decade and you won't find that level of MIDI capability under the hood (nor under the hood of many keyboards period). A merge box is what you need and these can be found relatively inexpensive. I still have this tiny one made by Voice Crystal back in the '80s. It is about the size of a pack of gum and does the merging job quite well.

Wow, that Midi Solutions device is made in CANADA! Say what? its NOT made in China. Everyone should buy at least ONE! The Chinese have enough of our money. :cry:

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Archived