Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Buying Used Gear From A Private Party

Ed Stanley

What sort, if any, of 'bill of sale' should I generate when buying a piece of used gear from a Craigslist ad or simlar? A cancelled check would suffice but these kind of transactions are almost always cash at the sellers understandable insistence and I worry a little bit about the obvious risk of buying stolen property but also just about unscrupulous accusations after the sale concerning my payment or ownership. Am I paranoid? What do you guys do?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never been a problem for me, buying or selling.

The onus is on you as a buyer to check what you're buying carefully and thoroughly, and on you as the seller to be selling exactly what you say you're selling, and in the condition you say it's in. Once you have the product or the cash in hand, the deal is done. I've never provided a receipt or been asked for one.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Most people will ask for the receipt when going through the McDonald's Drive Thru, so why shouldn't you ask for a receipt?

Regardless of the seller's real or perceived level of honesty, it's always a good idea to get a receipt, or bill of sale. It doesn't need to be on any form, or anything fancy. Even handwritten, it works. Just need to have the item listed with the item name, description, and serial number, along with the seller, the buyer, the agreed upon price, and the sellers signature indicating paid in full.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

I'm selling gear on CL right now. I typed up a simple agreement that says this piece of gear was sold on this date for this amount of money, and that the gear is being sold in working condition, as is with no warranty. I did this mainly for my Leslie- in case someone buys it, plugs it into the wrong organ, and fries it, but it'd be applicable to any gear.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I buy and sell a lot of stuff on CL and even eBay, although not so much on the latter these days; Craigslist is so much easier and more immediate.

I think the best policy is to use your common sense. If buying something and the guy doesn't have the box, paperwork, power cord, or doesn't know anything about the item; or just generally looks sketchy, then your radar should be pinging away that something ain't right.

With musical equipment it's usually easy to tell if the equipment was something the person owned - they usually want to talk about the equipment, gigs they've had, etc.

I never travel to meet someone with large sums of cash and no back-up plan. Bring a friend, bring a gun (if you're licensed and trained), or bring both.

I bought a car upstate two years ago, and the place was like something out of "Deliverance." My buddy is a retired cop so I invited him along for the ride.

A receipt or bill of sale regarding amount paid, condition, or any implied warrantee is only as good as your resolve to take the matter to court. This rises in direct proportion to the amount of sale. It's better just to make sure something works as advertised before money changes hands.

I've never had an issue with something purchased on CL, but I have walked away from a few transactions. Most of you guys (and girls) are pretty smart: use your brains and listen to your common sense.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

It's better just to make sure something works as advertised before money changes hands.

I've never had an issue with something purchased on CL, but I have walked away from a few transactions. Most of you guys (and girls) are pretty smart: use your brains and listen to your common sense.

+1. I've bought\sold all kinds of stuff on CL and local classifieds. Most of the time, the only people that required a receipt were people who had house gigs and wanted to write off the purchase as a 'work expense'. Otherwise, most of the buyers checked the stuff out, made sure it worked, chatted about their gig and paid me or politely declined to buy.

I've bought/sold basses, amps, keyboards, effects, etc. via ebay and the message boards and have been lucky to have had positive experiences, no receipts, no Paypal\Ebay claims, no welchers, nonpayers, etc...(knock on wood).

As quoted, just use common sense and your 'instinct' and more times than not, if a deal looks too good to be true...pass or research the heck out of it before you make a move! Very few people are selling an XK3c for $500 or '72 Fender Jazz for $150! ;)

Nothing wrong with asking for a receipt for your own peace of mind.

... I worry a little bit about the obvious risk of buying stolen property...

You kind of get a feel for this after awhile. A price too good to be true, the seller wanting to hook up at the mall parking lot instead of his home or place of business - that sort of thing raises red flags for me and I back out of the deal.

Other than that, I'm just echoing what everyone else has said. I've had problems with eBay but not a single one on Craigslist because it's face to face and you can inspect the gear in person. These deals are always cash so I make out a handwritten bill of sale on the spot with all the pertinent info. My accountant says it's good enough for her.

... I worry a little bit about the obvious risk of buying stolen property...

You kind of get a feel for this after awhile. A price too good to be true, the seller wanting to hook up at the mall parking lot instead of his home or place of business - that sort of thing raises red flags for me and I back out of the deal.

Other than that, I'm just echoing what everyone else has said. I've had problems with eBay but not a single one on Craigslist because it's face to face and you can inspect the gear in person. These deals are always cash so I make out a handwritten bill of sale on the spot with all the pertinent info. My accountant says it's good enough for her.

Actually, I worry somewhat about people I don't know coming to my house to purchase something. With this Leslie I'm selling- it's in my garage and I have a bunch of other gear there along with 2 motorcycles, tools, etc. But how else can someone check out something that big? It's not a real comfortable situation. You can only hope that the person is genuine and honest, and when you have that first phone call with them you can figure out enough that you can decide if you want them near your property or not. And if that doesn't work, I have a dog that will be too happy to protect Dad when something goes wrong.

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I'm almost always a buyer not a seller so I don't have that concern Dan. But I've been buying more and more from a person's place of business lately - maybe something you can do too.

Tonight before work I'm picking up an LED light bar from a CL seller at his home though. I'll let you know tomorrow if I get beat up!

Ditto to what DanL said. I am a single parent with a 4yo son. Last thing I need is strangers knowing where I live. I usually meet them in a public place like Guitar Center or mall parking lot where anyone and everyone can see us make the deal (even if it raises the interest of Segway riding security). I actually prefer that so there are witnesses if something goes weird.

If I'm selling local to someone from a message board I'll meet them at my folks house. Despite being a stranger, I'm more open to them since we're both part of a common, wider community, where we can call each other out if a deal goes bad.

YMMV.

I recently sold a pair of Mackie speakers and the guy requested a reciept with serial numbers so I wouldn't later report them as stolen!

Sheesh.....Like I would go through the trouble of selling them just to do that!

I recently sold a pair of Mackie speakers and the guy requested a reciept with serial numbers so I wouldn't later report them as stolen!

Sheesh.....Like I would go through the trouble of selling them just to do that!

You wouldn't and I wouldn't, but unfortunately there are a lot of lowlifes in this crazy world!

I'm almost always a buyer not a seller so I don't have that concern Dan. But I've been buying more and more from a person's place of business lately - maybe something you can do too.

Tonight before work I'm picking up an LED light bar from a CL seller at his home though. I'll let you know tomorrow if I get beat up!

I'm one of the lucky ones who gets to work out of his house, so a parking lot is my only option- but then, how do you test gear? I wouldn't want to buy a keyboard or other piece of gear without testing it. A couple years ago I bought an Emu MK6 from a guy on CL, went to his apartment, and played the thing for a half hour to make sure it worked. He was a nice enough guy, but you never know- you hear of a lot of scams, usually around used cars, where people lure a buyer somewhere and then rob them.

Many years ago I sold my VK7 to someone from either here or HC, can't remember. He was from DC so we met halfway at an outlet center. He had no way to test the keyboard to see if it even powered up. I wouldn't want to be in that position with someone I didn't know. At least we knew each other from the forums. Not that I'd ever screw anyone over on gear, but some people will.

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I have bought and sold on craigslist a fair amount with no problems. Really, it's no different than buying/selling stuff from the classified section of the newspaper.

I have been around the block a time or two, and I have a highly refined spidey sense. If something doesn't seem right on the phone, I assume it's because something isn't right. I might be wrong, but I've never ended up in a bad situation that way. I have walked away from a few deals. I might give the "benefit of the doubt" to a friend of a friend, or another member of a community like this one. But to a complete stranger? No way.

I have done hand-written receipts a couple of times, but I often forget. I guess the more dollars involved, the more likely I am to want paperwork. :)

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

...a parking lot is my only option- but then, how do you test gear? I wouldn't want to buy a keyboard or other piece of gear without testing it.

I met a man and his son in the parking lot of a GC to sell him a bass. The 3 of us walked into GC, plugged the bass into a rig and played it while I chatted with his dad. Thirty minutes or so later, we walked back out to the parking lot and finished the deal.

Not sure how practical that is to do with a keyboard or PA\amp gear, but it works for selling guitars\basses! ;)

YMMV.

...how do you test gear?

Plug it in somewhere.

I shouldn't say that I've never bought anything out of a parking lot, because I have when there's been no other option. I bought my V-Synth that way. It was in Yakima Washington and I was playing one of my winery gigs in the area, although I don't live even close.

I didn't know the seller personally but I knew his full name, cell number, and place of work (an Olive Garden). I just couldn't test it inside and had only a small window of time to pick it up, so after inspecting it carefully and with his full assurances that there was nothing wrong with it I went ahead and did the deal right there in the Olive Garden parking lot.

It was as advertised - flawless. That's the thing about CL sellers - the merchandise has always been as advertised. I can hardly say that about a couple of eBay purchases I've made. Sellers stretch the truth if they know that you can't look the stuff over in person and audition it.

The biggest purchase I've made was for a used Elantra: $6500 in cash laid out on the guy's kitchen table. I brought my 23 year old son along as a witness for that one.

I met a man and his son in the parking lot of a GC to sell him a bass. The 3 of us walked into GC, plugged the bass into a rig and played it while I chatted with his dad. Thirty minutes or so later, we walked back out to the parking lot and finished the deal.

Yeah, that's why GC invests millions of dollars in inventory... so you can use their gear to sell yours. :rolleyes:

Seriously. I went to the local large GC yesterday, and they had the PX-3 in the "home" section with the other Casios and similar models from other manufacturers. I would not have minded this, except they didn't have it hooked up to any speakers!

Also, this is a new store, and the lighting in the keyboard department is worse than any stage I've been on. The bright lights are overhead, and on any board except the ones on top, the light shines on the keys and maybe part of the panel. The glare and contrast is so bad it's nearly impossible to see the controls.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

If I'm selling local to someone from a message board I'll meet them at my folks house. Despite being a stranger, I'm more open to them since we're both part of a common, wider community, where we can call each other out if a deal goes bad.

Am I missing something? You bring the stranger to your parent's house?

You have large testicles.

A cry of 'release the hounds' would have been sounded if it was my store....

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Archived