Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Adjusting pole pieces?

Slinky-Blinky

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks Jeremy, Yeah, I've seen the "allen screw" type poles, but I've never encountered jazz p-ups with the poles raised for the A and D strings, and flush to the p-up cover for the E and G. Apparently its supposed to match the neck radius, but it seems to make the E sound kind of like a volume swell when I use distortion (of which I am quite fond) Is this a common MIM Jazz issue? Or will I have to replace the pick-ups altogether?

I can set the pup height/angle no problem, that's one reason I love the fender jazz. I just finished the set-up and it sounds and plays much better than last night. (thank goodness) Although now I'm having intonation issues w/ the E string! I think that may be due to the way the Ernie Ball Regular Slinky E string is wound at the ball-end. Either way, I think I just learned a couple of things about bass pick-ups!

Thanks Jeremy, Yeah, I've seen the "allen screw" type poles, but I've never encountered jazz p-ups with the poles raised for the A and D strings, and flush to the p-up cover for the E and G. Apparently its supposed to match the neck radius, but it seems to make the E sound kind of like a volume swell when I use distortion (of which I am quite fond) Is this a common MIM Jazz issue? Or will I have to replace the pick-ups altogether?

I have the MIM deluxe jazz with the Fender noiseless pups and the pole pieces are different heights and they do follow the fingerboard radius. maybe you could switch to those if you're not happy with the standard pups.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

Thanks for all the insight gentlemen, I got this baby sounding sweeeeet now!(to my ears at least) Seriously the advice I get from these forums is invaluable. And in case you were wondering, I basically set this bass up the way I did my last one. I should have given more consideration to the fact that it's a different bass! Live and learn right?

Archived