Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Trombone Shorty

Wally Malone

I got to hear a little bit of Trombone Shorty at the Monterey Jazz Festival in September and was told by those who work in the office he ended up selling about 1000 CDs on the day of his show. Last night I watched Austin City Limits and Shorty was performing. I was very impressed with his whole band, the arrangements and their energy. If you get a chance check them out.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was lucky enough to catch Trombone Shorty twice this year: in March at the Fillmore and in June at a local blues fest. Shorty is amazing on both trombone and trumpet, and the guy can sing, too! His band is very tight, and his drummer grins like a Cheshire cat all through the show. I agree: If you get the chance, don't miss him!

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

I was introduced to his music by an iTunes celebrity podcast (the Edge), believe it or not, and I like his stuff. He's playing a late show in town next week, and I might go. HE definitely has his own style. Galactic and Papa Grows Funk were also featured in that podcast, and worth checking out as well.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

I got to hear a little bit of Trombone Shorty at the Monterey Jazz Festival in September and was told by those who work in the office he ended up selling about 1000 CDs on the day of his show. Last night I watched Austin City Limits and Shorty was performing. I was very impressed with his whole band, the arrangements and their energy. If you get a chance check them out.

Wally

I saw that show the other night. Definitely a wicked grooving bunch. Their keys man was off the hook.

The guitarist looked out of place, though. Or maybe I missed the part where they actually gave him a solo and he lit it up like a Christmas tree?

Shorty can blow! I first got exposed to him thanks to Treme on HBO (more on that here ). I was kind of surprised that the show didn't really go recognized here considering how deeply engrained the music of New Orleans was in this show.

Trombone Shorty made several appearances along with some of the other Andrews brothers. And they did an amazing rendition of "OoH-Poo-Pah-Doo" which is on The Treme soundtrack. That CD is one of the most anticipated things on my list of things to check out, and that is finally due out today.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

When I saw Shorty and the gang at the Fillmore, I had never heard of them before. They just happened to be the opening act for The New Mastersound, but I liked them way better than the headliner.

When I saw them here in June, they closed the show with the most rousing rendition of "When The Saints Go Marching In" that I have ever heard. Holy moly, those boys sure know how to get a groove on!

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

They played on the main stage on Saturday afternoon at the MJF and I'm sure there were many people who heard the band for their first time. I thought it was really amazing that they sold that many CDs but the people hearing him for the first time wanted to take him home with them.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

The guitarist looked out of place, though. Or maybe I missed the part where they actually gave him a solo and he lit it up like a Christmas tree?
...in which our hero finds out guitarists can be "merely" rhythm players. :/

For some reason I can't fathom, ACL is only on at 0200 Sunday morning, so I didn't see it, nor am I likely to buy a DVR just to watch it. Hopefully it will show up on You Tube soon.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

...in which our hero finds out guitarists can be "merely" rhythm players. :/

Everyone else on the stage got a solo, that's what I found weird.

Archived