Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Passive or active DI?

henryb_y_o_b

After testing the summing in the JDI I cannot really hear any difference from summing in a mixer, as I suspected. Summing outside of the Nord Stage sounds different though from what the Stage's mono button do to the sound. It is a bit more mellow where the Stage mono function is clearer/brighter.

Hans

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did some recordings last night using the JDI Duplex to mono-sum, and feel that it is better to use the mono-sum of the Hammond XK-3c, as one case study (that's the only thing I recorded last night), as the sound seemed a bit thinner via the JDI summing.

In particular, the Leslie and other on-board effects seemed less present when summing via the JDI. But it could also be a case of "each time is different" (partially due to the on-board tubes on the XK-3c), and thus being even a bit of a placebo effect.

Nevertheless, I think I have concluded that unless a keyboard has a known problem with mono-summing, it is best to use the keyboard's Mono Out.

As mentioned in another thread, some keyboards, such as those from DSI, require some additional setup work to make sure the effects chain is also outputting a proper mono signal when just connecting to one of the two main outputs. Easy to solve though.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Archived