Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Strat Wiring Question

Chad Thorne

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"One Strat; one Volume; one Tone..." :D

(Sounds like an old George Thorogood song. ;) )

I believe that you do still need one, and that they assumed that you'd either know that, or it would already be in place.

One exception would be when using active EMG or similar pickups, which don't require the bridge/string ground.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

(Sounds like an old George Thorogood song. ;) )

I believe that you do still need one, and that they assumed that you'd either know that, or it would already be in place.

One exception would be when using active EMG or similar pickups, which don't require the bridge/string ground.

Good deal, thanks, Caev! I haven't closed it up yet so I can just throw a ground wire in there, no problem.

As for "One Strat; one Volume; one Tone...", I have always found Strats to have more knobs than I use. Glad I found this diagram. Next step is to wire up the pickguard for this guitar that is for 2 humbuggers. w00t!

Thanks for the correction!! :cool::blush: I wouldn't want to miscredit a song!

Hey, y'know, a GREAT way to put three knobs on a Strat to use is to have one Volume, one Tone, and an EMG SPC "Strat Presence Control"- which is an EQ/boost module, powered by a 9v battery, that is bypassed when rolled all the way off, while boosting mids and low-mids with a subtle, gentle treble roll-off, more and more as you turn it up, to effectively morph from the straight single-coil sound to a somewhat PAF humbucker like tone. It sounds completely smooth and warm and natural, and not at all hyped or "electronic"; and will work just fine with normal, passive pickups, as well as active EMG's. HIGHLY recommended! :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Bump, in case anybody's interested.

I did put a ground wire between the tone pot and bridge. Result: Dead quiet. I mean really. I've never had a Strat with plain ol' single coils on it that didn't buzz, but this one - so far - doesn't. At all.

I only wish I knew what I did right so I could replicate it in future. Not much chance of that...

Hey, y'know, a GREAT way to put three knobs on a Strat to use is to have one Volume, one Tone, and an EMG SPC "Strat Presence Control"- which is an EQ/boost module, powered by a 9v battery, that is bypassed when rolled all the way off, while boosting mids and low-mids with a subtle, gentle treble roll-off, more and more as you turn it up, to effectively morph from the straight single-coil sound to a somewhat PAF humbucker like tone. It sounds completely smooth and warm and natural, and not at all hyped or "electronic"; and will work just fine with normal, passive pickups, as well as active EMG's. HIGHLY recommended! :cool:

And they are going cheap apparently. $47 is a LOT better than $259...

Always remember that you�re unique. Just like everyone else.

Chad- glad that worked out so very well for ya!

Thanks for pointing that out, picker.

Please note, everyone and anyone, that as I type this, those EMG SPC's can be had for that price from a number of sources, as well as Amazon...

• 2 months later...

I just bought one of these SPC's, and wonder if you can point me to a place that explains the hows & whys of different pickup wiring options?

I'd like to take advantage of having her opened up already to think about what might be done in there for fun..

I've never thought about wiring before, but between two HB's in middle and bridge & the single coil at the neck I wonder what I might be able to do.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

--Aristotle

Sounds great, can't wait to tap into that wisdom!

I think these changes are really going to wake up my guitar for me-- I've always been a tweaker, and learning how you can coax out of these systems "just" the right sound is pretty exciting.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

--Aristotle

Got my SB Alnico II pro and the SPC in the mail today. Looking forward to getting them up and running. (even though my right shoulder having five holes in it and the stitches within will keep me from playing it much for awhile)

PS Caevan, I found my own guidance on some wiring/electronics options here.

Scroll through the whole page for a wealth of info.

--Aristotle

So, mdlestat- how's that goin' for ya? How do you like the SPC?

SO...why doesn't an LP style guitar send an earth to the bridge?

They usually do, or at least, a ground wire goes to one of the threaded-inserts for the tailpiece-studs on guitars with a Tune-o-Matic style bridge and tail and thus to the strings, IIRC off the top of my head.

On the other hand, some active, battery-powered pickups, like active EMGs, do not require a string-ground, and are often wired up without one. This isn't a bad thing at all, either, as you're much less likely to suffer a ground related shock.

Afraid I still don't have her back from the shop yet Caevan-- but I'll make sure to tell you all how she sings with it (well... as best as I can with a recently-repaired shoulder in a sling, that is) :thu:

--Aristotle

I used that same schematic and of course I have a ground wire running to the tremolo. A ground to the bridge in some way is essential.

...unless you're using active EMG pickups. Then you don't need the string-ground.

Archived