Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

VAX77- Still loving it?

Tonysounds

I know one of our members here was using the VAX77. Is the love affair still hot? What fallibilities have you discovered? If you're using a multi-module-rig, how much easier has it made your life?
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still loving it.

It is a pleasure to play on, and a joy to transport. I don't really use a multi- module rig, so I can't comment too much on that. I do use a Receptor, and it has some Receptor specific features that are nice.

I use it to control the Receptor, and to serve as lower organ manual for my top board. I generally only load one Receptor snapshot at a gig, and just switch between the various sounds, although I do send program changes to the individual instruments as well. My master controller needs are not all that demanding.

But yes, love the thing.

Happy to answer any questions, or provide more detail...am in the back seat en route to NYC for a gig right now.....

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

Absolutely thrilled with mine. I owned a MIDIBoard for nearly a decade, and the VAX77 surpasses it!

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p4/marzzzA6/IMG_1079.jpg

The padded rolling suitcase is included in the purchase price. They also sell a flight case for $200. Absolutely great people to work with- I suggested a footswitch option to transpose up one octave and they implemented it within a day (coming in the new Firmware release this week)!

Still loving mine, too, even though I'm trying to go as minimalist as possible. I've replaced a Stage Compact over a Privia PX-330, with a Korg X50 synth over the Vax w/V-Machine. It's such a comfortable action, I'm willing to climb the learning curve necessary to be successful with software instruments.

There are two other "non-music" elements that also seal the deal for me. One, I've had the opportunity a few times in life to be an "early adopter" of entrepreneurial tech; it's a treat and a privilege in the early days of a new company to have great access to the inventors, establish rapport with them, and actually be a contributor of ideas and refinements of a new product. Two, the software platform is built with Windows programming tools that I use everyday at work (!), which means I can build add-ons and utilities for myself and other VAX players -- I *love* that.

Three posts on the IR forum today, Tony? I think I can smell GAS... :/

Legend '70s Compact, Jupiter-Xm, Studiologic Numa X 73

Do you use the supplied tolex padded bag/case, and is that included in the purchase price?

Yes and yes.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

They would need to implement a few things to get me to pull the trigger, but it could very well happen.

What would those be? Just curious.....

Still loving mine, too, even though I'm trying to go as minimalist as possible. I've replaced a Stage Compact over a Privia PX-330, with a Korg X50 synth over the Vax w/V-Machine. It's such a comfortable action, I'm willing to climb the learning curve necessary to be successful with software instruments.

I can see replacing the PX-330 with the VAX77... better action, better MIDI controller functionality, and with software instruments, better sound.

Replacing the Stage Compact with an X50 is a little more questionable to me. The X50 does give you a lot of sounds and a lot of capabilities in a tiny package, but your new combo still seems to be missing some really nice things you had before... specifically, drawbar-style organ operation, and analog-style knob synth operation. But I guess these things aren't so important to your music. But it's a kind of interesting exercise, to think about what piece(s) would be most beneficial to put on top of a VAX77. Did you not keep the Stage Compact there largely because it simply did not fit there well like an X50?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Did you not keep the Stage Compact there largely because it simply did not fit there well like an X50?

The only thing I used the Stage for was Hammond, and the occasional synth solo lead. With the move to the Vax and software instruments, my Hammond now comes from VB3 on the VMachine -- which I can play either from the Vax (I don't find its action to be a hindrance to organ playing) or the X50. It's rare for me to adjust Hammond settings on the fly, and I never touched the Stage's drawbars anyway; presets are fine for me, so not having all those knobs and sliders available isn't a huge loss. That said, I *do* missing the real-time controllers when I'm setting up my presets -- so I bought a fire sale Studiologic VMK-161 Organ controller. Now I can mix-n-match; for organ-only calls like my worship team at church, I take the VMK and the VMachine. For club nights I take the X50 and the Vax.

When the VMachine gets its hardware upgrade this year, I anticipate it'll have enough "oomph" to play 2 VSTs at once without glitching; in that case I could take the VMK and the Vax and play both from the VMachine.

I don't want the bulk of a Receptor, but I'll also definitely give the MuseBox a try when it appears. Especially if the VMachine's config/setup software doesn't improve significantly -- it's pretty gnarly, and has been for a while.

Legend '70s Compact, Jupiter-Xm, Studiologic Numa X 73

They would need to implement a few things to get me to pull the trigger, but it could very well happen.

What would those be? Just curious.....

If you saw my 3 posts at the IR Forum, you know. If not, heres what I think it needs to be fully functioning (especially as a 76+1 note controller):

1. Since it only holds 128 memories, the VAX77 really requires the ability to be able to load those memories (and back them up) via USB stick. I play in a number of bands, and 128 is not enough for me; most of these bands have entirely different repertoires (I get bored easily!), and so I need to be able to load each bands requirements before a gig. Presently, you cant do that either with USB or computer, and if theyre going to implement it, they might as well do it as a USB thumb drive for convenience sake.

2. The ability to share new libraries. (not a deal breaker, but it should be done)

3. The ability to switch presets in a split on/off, or at least enable/disable zones within a split/memory.

My A90 did all of those (except for #1: you needed those stupid 256cards, but I had at least 10 of those things I collected over the years, each band had its own card). My S90es doesnt do #3, so I eat up a lot more Masters (also only 128 onboard), but at least I can USB every band. And adjusting to a 76+1 keyboard from an 88 will likely require more memory slots as I use the full 88 notes when Im programming splits and layers. That will be the hardest thing for me to come to grips with, since they will not be producing an 88. They will also stop producing the lighter weight action as most of their orders are for the heavier action. (not a problem for me)

Regarding #1....Currently it actually only holds 12 "splits" I believe. That 128 figure is for the amount of entries in the "playlist"....which is a subset of the "library". Kind of a different paradigm, probably better explained by the manual than by me, here.

There is a new OS getting mailed out to owners as we speak, with a new screen/category called "quicksets", that will allow access to many more splits.

I think the assumption, right or wrong, is that most players set up splits in their host these days.

I don't really use splits, and if I need one once in a blue moon I set it up within Receptor, so it is kind of a non-issue for me, although I understand the need for it for a lot of folks.

All that said - the ability to select from multiple "playlists", "libraries", etc. is a much needed feature for me as well - as I both play with multiple bands and more importantly for this, use multiple gear configurations.

#2...Yes, also would be very cool.

#3 I actually requested that on the IR board even though I am a non-split user. I found a need for it while I was playing with the split function as a work around for sending pedal information to my Nord while having the VAX on a different midi channel....I forget the specifics.....

Edited:

********Appears I am completely wrong about the current number of splits, unless the admin on the IR board is referring to the new OS, that I do not yet have in my hand***************

does that thing have action than the Privia PX-330??!!!

if thats true i really want one!!

how come you dont see that controller on more tours?? or studios?

It's new, it's only available from the manufacturer on a custom basis, and it's expensive for a keyboard that doesn't sound as good as a Casio.

Or sound much like anything.

:freak:

Here for the gear.

does that thing have action than the Privia PX-330??!!!

if thats true i really want one!!

how come you dont see that controller on more tours?? or studios?

It's new, it's only available from the manufacturer on a custom basis, and it's expensive for a keyboard that doesn't sound as good as a Casio.

Or sound much like anything.

:freak:

The thing is, it really isn't expensive for what it does. My Roland A90ex cost almost $1900 brand new in 1992. We are talking 18 years later, and this has the added appeal of being lighter, and foldable (saving more weight on a case) and being more portable, not to mention, possibly even more powerful (the verdict is not in on that, but unlike the Roland, which was a phenomenal controller, this system is upgradable through free software updates). It's not a product for most keyboard players, but neither was the Roland A90, A70, A80, A50, or Kurzweil MidiBoard, or Yamaha KX88.

actually its not that new, and for the people who can buy it

with no problem why dont they have it??i have heard really cool things about that controller and my self want one but ..

still have not seen one on tv or almost anywhere .

Casio PX330: ~$600

VAX77: ~$3000

Getting a clue: priceless.

:thu::wave:

Every time I see "on TV" in that post, I picture a late night infomercial for the VAX.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

actually its not that new, and for the people who can buy it

with no problem why dont they have it??i have heard really cool things about that controller and my self want one but ..

still have not seen one on tv or almost anywhere .

#1: its hard for people (yeah, me too!) to throw down $2500+ for something they can't audition anywhere.

#2: For most people, a workstation is plenty. If they have any modules, it's generally one or two. And they still won't go through the effort to program elaborate splits and layers. And for them, it's overkill.

#3. You didn't see Nord on stage so much 10 years ago, for the same reason: it's a niche item that took time to filter down to where everyone KNEW about them. And they still don't have the ubiquitous presence of Roland Korg or Yamaha. Kurwzweil either.

I actually thought Infinite Response was a mail-order clearing house the first time I heard the company name, and come to think about it - the VAX could be a model of vacuum cleaner!

Here for the gear.

And with that in mind, Infinite Response offers a 14-Day money-back guarantee.

I don't think two weeks is sufficient.

Yeah, but at the same time a small startup niche company can probably barely afford 2 weeks, even with a piece that expensive. It's a reasonable compromise given the lack of a distribution network.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

• 2 years later...

Hello everyone,

I just recently tried to buy a VAX77, but after placing my order I was told that they stopped production altogether. So unfortunate!

I just wanted to post this to let anyone who is thinking of selling theirs know that I am extremely interested in buying the keyboard from them. I am especially looking for the Ultra-Heavy keybed (although I will gladly consider Heavy as well).

Please PM me or send me an email if you have a VAX77 you wanna sell or know someone who does.

Thanks and have a great week everyone!

My VAX didn't have a keybed.

Vaxine, honey, is that you?

My first email address was vaxine!wmp.

Sorry for the irrelevant response. VAX77 and VAX11 look a lot alike. The folding weighted controller is a great idea, but it has a very funny name. To me, at least.

--wmp

I have had mine for quite awhile now, and I can't see ever parting with it. I hope it's not true that they are closing their doors, but I can understand sales would be difficult at that price point. It was completely worth it for me, though.

I have had mine for quite awhile now, and I can't see ever parting with it. I hope it's not true that they are closing their doors, but I can understand sales would be difficult at that price point. It was completely worth it for me, though.

When you go to Infiniteresponse website, click products >VAX77> Store ...

The result is "page not found",- since yesterday.

The store disappeared.

A.C.

Archived