Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Steve Reich Pianophase

Gary75

Ok, so Im studying him on my course, and decided to focus on his Piano Phase track. I'd like to perform this live, but am wondering if digital piano samples will somehow impede the effect as I will effectively be playing samples (in this case two instances of Ivory) What do you think?

I tell you what, playing syncopated music for the majority of the time doesnt half tell on you when it comes to straight playing!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. the phasing is from the shifting note placement. I don't see why using digital pianos would detract from the piece any more than using a digital piano detracts from any piece that might otherwise be played on a high quality acoustic (or two!). Run it in stereo using two slightly contrasting sample sets on the two keyboards, then pan them apart to more clearly delineate them.

And as long as you're studying the piece and apparently intent on doing it solo (Reich initially intended it for two players on separate pianos), why not take a field trip to Moscow and study the performance with Peter Aidu himself? Last I knew he was at the Moscow Conservatory.

Larry.

Thanks for the tips and advice. I thought myself to use the Bose and Steinway soundsets. I'll try some panning. I'll probably try it on one piano first, transposing to fit into the mid- octaves side by side. If I can master it I'll try it on two pianos side by side.

I want to try it myself basically to try develop my left hand more. That guy is amazing.

I wrote a paper on this last year, mostly because I started to play it and really love it. Really good work for the left hand, however when I half-learned it (I say half because I didn't really master it, that wasn't the point) I did it on an acoustic piano, so the lines were octaves apart. When I tried doing it on my keyboard with a split and having the left and right hand playing in the same octave, well my brain hurt lol. Anyway have fun with it.

Archived