Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Peavey Windsor Studio Amp ***UPDATE****

LeftyBlues

Cool amp but not nearly enough low end for ol' Lefty, and yes the Bass pot is maxed, mid and treble around 50%. Saw a few comments on the web where folks replaced the stock speaker with a Celestion Greenback to bump the bass and tone down the brightness some. Any comments or suggestions? The 12" GB is $125 so I figure it's worth asking you pro's, I trust youse guys. Thanks for any input.

L.B.

I was born at night but I wasn't born last night...

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Where's the beef?"

I'm no Pro, but I can tell you, you'll find more of the low-end you want with a Celestion G12H 30, "Heritage" or "Anniversary".

Other excellent speakers at various price-points starting with the Celestion G12H 30 template:

HELLATONE 30 (Scroll down or do CTRL F "HELLATONE 30")

Weber Ceramic 1230

Weber AlNiCo 1230 (A hybrid- think AlNiCo version of Celestion G12H30 with an added ceramic "booster" magnet to add and tighten-up bottom end- super cool! :cool: Killer for low watt tube-amps pushed hard for leads and backed-off on for mean or clean...)

Warehouse Guitar Speakers 12" Reaper

Warehouse Guitar Speakers 12" Reaper 55hz

Scumback H55

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

You rock Cae....er Dances. Just the name "Hellatone" fits the season ya know? See, I'm glad I asked because I really don't want to get stuck with a $125 speaker that sounds like the one Peavey uses. Probably can't go wrong with a Celestion is my guess. Thanks DWW.

My Fuchs Lucky 7 head- also a true single-ended Class-A design with one EL34 and two 12AX7's- needed (by my ear) a speaker with a lotta beef, so I had similarly already ben dere, dun dat.

I should also mention the Eminence Wizard, effectively their take on the G12H 30 recipe. These are one of the stock/standard speakers offered by Fuchs in some of their amps and cabs.

That wiiiiiide-open back on your Windsor's wind-sore back-side might not be helping in the bottom department, either; lightbulb.gif wonder what a little more back-paneling might do for it as long as the tubes and transformers and chassis could still ventilate? :confused:

Hahhahhahhaahh! Hey, look what I ran across, doing a little more searchin' to be sure I didn't steer you wrong... You've got a stock Peavey "Blue Marvel" 12" in that, right, Left'? Go to this Peavey Classic 30 'page, and scroll down to the bottom and read the caption next to the picture of the BM speaker... my instincts seem to be backed up there! :D

Ah yes the ol' Blue Marvel, that's classic. I'd thought about closing the back up most of the way but I think first I'll replace the speaker and go from there. I read one Mod report where he suggested lifting three caps from the circuit to tweak the sound. Again, I'll start with the speaker and proceed thusly. I don't want to lose much of the mids and highs (plenty of 'em!) I just need some whoomp on the low end. Sounds like the Celestion is the cheese I need on my burger. Ironically my 1980 vintage bicycle is a Windsor. Lefty trivia. Thanks again DWW!

By the way, Lefty'- don't void you amp's warranty while it's still valid.

But if you were eventually rootin' around in there and dyin' to modify it, upgrading to stouter filter-caps and a heftier output-transformer can and will enhance the low-end muscle. Perhaps a bit extravagant in the case of this amp, though.

A simpler, cheaper way would be to swap out the bass-pot for one of greater value. Might muddy it up, too, though; trial-and-error would be the way here. I've done similar tricks with pots and/or resistors to increase midrange, somewhat like going from "blacface" mids to more "tweed" mids.

I still think that a speaker upgrade would be the best and first place to start here, and the least invasive and most warranty-friendly.

I ordered a G12H30 today and a buddy of mine who is a "real" musician said kudos to whoever suggested this, i.e. you, and said yes that will make a big difference. So, thanks again for your knowledge and ideas. As long as it gives me more low end then I'll leave it at that - I need to play more, not screw around with the equipment!

L.B.

Late to the discussion, but I have a pair of Hellatone 60 Ls that I'm absolutely in love with... and a healthy bottom end is a big part of the reason.

The Hellatones ARE actually Celestion Vintage 30s made to beefier specs for Marshall, I believe, that avatar puts through a frequency suspension program to age them just so (relic'ing for speakers?). I don't know if anyone mentioned that in this thread.

I like speakers already broken in and warm, so to me... the best.

The Hellatones ARE actually Celestion Vintage 30s made to beefier specs for Marshall, I believe, that avatar puts through a frequency suspension program to age them just so (relic'ing for speakers?). I don't know if anyone mentioned that in this thread.

I like speakers already broken in and warm, so to me... the best.

I think you're more or less correct there, with the exception that not ALL Hellatones are Vintage 30 based (though you're right that the Hellatone 60 is); the Hellatone 30 that I mentioned above is based on the G12H 30.

HELLATONE 30 We start with a stock great sounding classic G12H30 Celestion. We convert it into a Hellatone by aging it slightly and by exercising the suspension for 15 hours so when you get it, it has a warmer tone on the very first note. This process gives the Hellatone 30 an even richer low end than it already had. The model 30 has wonderful mids and highs and a beautiful overdrive tone. If you drive it hard , you get a real nice cone break up that sounds fantastic. Large Heavy 50 oz magnet 30 watts.8 ohm or 16 ohm For specs, go to www.celestion.com classic G12H30 (70th year Anniversary.. not Heritage)

$99.

My speaker arrived yesterday, what a difference! But you guys knew that....Pretty sweet how it worked out, I took the afternoon off work to soak up some gorgeous Rocktober weather and mulch leaves for the gardens. About 5 minutes after I got home Fed Ex pulled up with my Celestion. The sonic upgrade is amazing, I played out in the garage for a while at decent volume levels (nobody called the cops :D) and then inside at low levels. The response and overall quality of the sound is most excellent dudes. So again thanks for the responses!

L.B.

Yes sir the bottom end is there, although at the low volume I typically play at it's not that much different. I know when I turn it up it's definitley much improved. At low levels I really can tell the improvement in the overall sound, very much improved!

L.B.

• 3 months later...

So, Lefty'- how's that Celestion G12H 30 been breakin'-in and hangin' for ya there?

Has it "broken-in" and changed any with playing-time, and if so, how so?

And, is it the "Heritage", or the "Anniversary" model?

Hey Caev,

Do you have a super secret cross reference of speaker types? You seem to have quite the dept of knowledge of what sounds like who and why!

:thu::idea::laugh:

Naaa, I just did a LOT of research on beefy, British sounding speakers, as that's what I wanted and needed for a couple of amps- when I can afford said speakers...

Speakers that draw from the Celestion G12H 30 recipe(s) tend to have robust lows.

Speakers are not so easy to compare and test-drive! So reading-up and getting an informed "educated guess" is quite beneficial.

[font:Comic Sans MS]Ooooh, Weeeeefff-tyyyy...[/font]

If you want to beef up our lows, get a pair of Electro Voice Musician 12s. You'll throw rocks the stock speakers after you hear those.

I use EVM 12L's in my extension cabinets but the cones are too deep and rattle the tubes in my combo amp. However when I moved them to my 1-12 open back cabs all is well. In fact I use 200 watt EVM12L with my Epiphone Valve Jr $99 amp for daily practice, I have a 200 watt model and a 300 watt model.

For my combo amp I use an Eminence Tone Spotter, It has a big voice coil like the EVM12L but a shallower cone.

My Fender came with an EVM12L-F model, which had a problem.

( rare factory defect. EVM's are generally excellent )

While waiting for replacement, I got a Celestion G-65 and stuck it in my amp.

I didn't expect it to last.

That was a very long time ago . The speaker took some time to "break in" and still sounds great today.

The replacement EVM-12L-F sat in a box for 25 years till I put it in a separate closed cabinet.

Te EV makes a great extension cab for anything.

Anyway that Celestion model is a good compromise between power handling and

sound quality, and sounds very good turned up.

So, Lefty'- how's that Celestion G12H 30 been breakin'-in and hangin' for ya there?

Has it "broken-in" and changed any with playing-time, and if so, how so?

And, is it the "Heritage", or the "Anniversary" model?

Caev I believe I got the Heritage model (I'm at work right now) and it sounds great. So far as "break in", I haven't used it that much to tell a difference yet, plus I play fairly low volume so I may not ever tell a big difference. Once warm weather returns I'll fire it up out in the garage again, serenade the neighbors!

L.B.

• 2 months later...
Too anyone interested, I just got done putting an Gold Lion KT88, a Electro-harmonix 12ay7 in the right preamp tube socket(looking at the back of the amp), and a Eminence Legend 1258 in my Windsor Studio and then I blocked off most of the back with 1/4" plywood. I finaly have the amp that I thought that I was buying two years ago! It now sounds great to my ears and the upgrade didn't break the bank!

That's great! :cool: Welcome to the GPF, BDB.

As long as the tubes and amp chassis can get enough ventilation to cool a little during operation, that ported/semi-closed back-panel deal should give ya some nice knock. :thu::cool:

That KT88 aughtta tighten things up and add some beef to the bottom-end, too!

That's cool that the Windsor Studio was "designed to use various octal power tubes, including EL34 (stock), 6L6GC, 6550, 6CA7, KT88, KT66, KT77, KT90, KT100 or any variation". I didn't realize that before.

I placed the back panel 1/2" off of the bottom of the amp so that it will create a draft from the bottom out the top. Yeah it turns out that you can get these amps to sound like something without to much work.

Archived