Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland V-Piano

dazzjazz

It was a pretty big flop from the start.
According to what evidence?

If Roland is introducing the technology in the NX now, I'd say it's because they've largely given up on the V-Piano having the impact they wished. Like D-Bon said, half the money will get you most of the V and in a smaller, more versatile package at that.
The V-Piano was introduced nearly 2 years ago. That it took a year and a half or so for the tech to reach the Roland flagship stage piano is an example of typical MI trickle-down.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm very curious as to how the electric pianos will sound in the NX. That's where Kurzweil and Yamaha are still ahead in the game, for me. I'll use the Kurzweil Wurlies, or Motif XF Rhodes sounds over those in my XV-5080, or FP-4 any day. The SuperNatural EP's in the GXF I've played are competitive, but I think the NX is going need to have an added boost to those tones to pull ahead of pack. The EP's in the PC3, CP Series, S90XS/Motif XS/XF, and Nord keyboards are pretty tough competition.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Is the NX going to be sampled or modeled?

For the record I think the CPs acoustics are modeled and the rhodes are sampled - is that right?

Darren

Gosh I'm still undecided - been shedding on my grand today and it's so good for the chops

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

Is the NX going to be sampled or modeled?....

On Roland's RD-700NX page it states that the instrument features a SuperNATURAL Piano sound engine, with EP's based on SuperNatural technology.

The info on SuperNatural technology is found in the description of the SuperNatural Piano Kit (the add on for the RD-700GX): "Derived from Rolands award-winning V-Piano modeling technology and 88-key stereo multisampling piano technology, the RD-700GX SuperNATURAL Piano Kit adds three dimensions of seamless piano perfection to the RD-700GX.".

It appears that the NX pianos - like those in GXF, and SuperNatural Piano Kit - are a combination of sampling and modeling.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

• 1 month later...
I played an NX on Tuesday. I agree with you, Darren, about the EP's. Most of them sound too 'wide' and 'full' for my taste. I prefer the EP tones in my PC3, or those of the Nords: A simple, direct sound that, IMO, mimics the Rhodes and Wurlitzer more accurately.

• 3 weeks later...

Missed this thread the first time...

When I owned a Kawai MP9000, I found it amazingly good for maintaing piano chops. Which is to say, I could go between it and a real piano and not feel I'd lost anything. In fact, I felt like the Kawai improved my piano technique. Whether you like the sound of the Kawai is of course a different issue.

Absolutely.

If forced to sell my grand, my first choice to mantain my chops would be a top-of-the-line Kawai. MP8, MP8II, MP10...

Second choice - maybe a PX-3. They have a nice resistance.

I've played both the CP1 and the V-Piano, and I find both a bit too light for me, if I had to do my technique on one of them.

Of course, I'm only talking about keyboard response here, not piano sounds. In terms of sound, my favorite is definitely the CP1.

Early YouTube video of the RD700NX in the wild - the SN piano sounds great in this clip, with none of the wirey edge I experience when I bought the SN upgrade card. Pity about the EPs, but the news is pretty much what I expected on that front.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m26Mg2zPJBM

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Archived