Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Leslie top driver?

MRkeys

I think my V21 Jensen in my 145 is shot. Looking for suggestions.

I know there is the new Leslie replacement, Atlas PD60, and..

http://www.btproductions.com/Gear/Leslies/Driver/TopDriver.html

Anyone seen this?

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/555-6426

And I seen someone is going to try the Dayton driver from Partsexpress, interesting ....

Nord Electro 3... Korg CX3... Leslie 145... Wurlitzer 200a... Juno 106... Roland RD170... DS88

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will also add that the most popular 2 replacements seem to be the Atlas PD-60 and the newest Hammond Suzuki 100 w drivers. The Atlas is supposed to be a little brighter than the Jensen, and the HS I can attest to being a good deal brighter.

This is not necessarily a bad thing, especially for playing rock, both in terms of tone and also staying power being pushed at higher volumes.

******I do not claim to be an expert regarding any of this******

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

The verdict:

The Dayton sounds good. Somewhere in between, in terms of brightness, what a stock Jensen and the HS Ferro driver sound like.

It is apparently modeled after, or at least very similar to the Atlas PD-60, but is much less expensive.

In an interesting aside - when I told the tech that I thought the HS driver that was in the Leslie before the Dayton was a little too bright for me, he added a switch in the Leslie with a resistor attached that serves to darken it up a bit. It is not an extreme difference, but clearly audible, and a nice little option to have, even with the slightly less bright driver installed.

That said, I just picked up a Speakeasy preamp pedal to run it with it that has tone controls, so I may not need that switch too much.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

The one from BT Productions is a favorite of mine. I have four or five of them. Inexpensive (relative to the Atlas) and they sound really good.

That's what I used when my original one blew out. I like the sound of it, not as harsh as the one that the Speakeasy guy had used.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Do you have a model number on that Dayton? I couldn't find a 16ohm Dayton horn on the Parts Express website.

Jim... I was just thinking that if you like the sound of the driver in your 3300, then you probably like the sound of the HS driver (as that is what is in it). That's the replacement driver that Bill installed in my 147 and it sounds killer!

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Archived