Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need some help choosing a Keyboard Amp

Mr. Nightime

Yeah, I think the DEEP switch on the QSC K-series is likely to be more room-specific than based on material played. It's nice they threw it in there, but I'm not surprised by kanker's comment that he hasn't really needed it, even for walking organ bass.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reading this thread, let me think out loud so you guys can correct any errors; I use a K4 keyboard amp now, usually as a monitor, plugging the XLR output to PA system into it. For me, it is heavy for this use. I've gotten to the point of using a KC350 when it is just going to be used as a monitor, since it is lighter and has the XLR output (via 1/4" jack).

Can I buy one of the above mentioned power speakers, such as the K10 or the EV ZX, both much lighter, to do pretty much the same job? Do they have XLR outputs?

Thanks, Paul

The K10 does indeed have an XLR out, EV SxA 100+ does also, don't know about the new EV (haven't seen one). I've used the XLR out before as a feed to house sound when playing a large venue - worked with no problem at all. I do have a Radial stereo DI as well - I've used it in a couple of other cases to feed house sound - either when I needed padding or ground lift, or when I wanted to be able to tweak the K10 as my monitor without disturbing what I was sending to the house. Another cool use for it is to feed my Les Paul into the K10 - the DI gives me a very high impedance input, which the LP likes.

I haven't heard a K4 - but the QSC compared to a KC350 sound wise is like comparing a BMW to a Yugo.

I didn't think about tweaking the amp as monitor without disturbing the house feed. I assume that is not possible with a powered amp?

I cannot speak for all the powered cabinets out there, but the few I have used/seen the "line and LO-Z outs are post input volume, because they are intended to daisy chain to other amps or powered cabs.

Thus the DI approach lets you tweak the on stage volume of the powered cab without affecting the mains level and driving the sound guy crazy.

If you have a small mixer that has an aux or monitor or control room send(PRE FADER) you can send he FOH signal there and tweak to your hearts content.

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

Reading this thread, let me think out loud so you guys can correct any errors; I use a K4 keyboard amp now, usually as a monitor, plugging the XLR output to PA system into it. For me, it is heavy for this use. I've gotten to the point of using a KC350 when it is just going to be used as a monitor, since it is lighter and has the XLR output (via 1/4" jack).

Can I buy one of the above mentioned power speakers, such as the K10 or the EV ZX, both much lighter, to do pretty much the same job? Do they have XLR outputs?

Thanks, Paul

The K10 does indeed have an XLR out, EV SxA 100+ does also, don't know about the new EV (haven't seen one). I've used the XLR out before as a feed to house sound when playing a large venue - worked with no problem at all. I do have a Radial stereo DI as well - I've used it in a couple of other cases to feed house sound - either when I needed padding or ground lift, or when I wanted to be able to tweak the K10 as my monitor without disturbing what I was sending to the house. Another cool use for it is to feed my Les Paul into the K10 - the DI gives me a very high impedance input, which the LP likes.

I haven't heard a K4 - but the QSC compared to a KC350 sound wise is like comparing a BMW to a Yugo.

I didn't think about tweaking the amp as monitor without disturbing the house feed. I assume that is not possible with a powered amp?

The K10 has pre-gain outs on each channel, so you can adjust the gain of each channel without affecting the level going to the house.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Looks like I'll have to pull the trigger on an even bigger gun. My synth just died, so I need to get a replacement. Just need to convince my wife....

I know just the guy!!

My wife has liked the long haired reprobate since she met him a few years back.

Hey Sven .... Can you Help :laugh::wave:

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

There's actually a guy on Orlando Craigslist that has a Korg M3-61 for sale for $600.

Wonder how many beers were spilled into it.

Willie Dixon

There's actually a guy on Orlando Craigslist that has a Korg M3-61 for sale for $600.

Wonder how many beers were spilled into it.

If that's real and in good shape, that's an insane deal. Wow.

In this economy, it's more often the case that the seller is in deep financial waters -- especially in states like Florida that have one of the three highest upside down mortgage default rates.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

In this economy, it's more often the case that the seller is in deep financial waters -- especially in states like Florida that have one of the three highest upside down mortgage default rates.

Or he could have spilled beer in it. :laugh:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Just found out I can take my time replacing the N364. The only thing I was using it for was at church. I spoke with the MD tonight, and he said the church has a Triton 88 that I can use. No need to go out and buy something just for church.

That'll give me some time to decide what I want, and convince my wife.

Willie Dixon

The scene is set.

Zoom in on a finger slowly squeezing a trigger. The music swells dramatically as the trigger moves slowly back until....

BANG!!!

The trigger has been pulled!!

I just completed the order. I'm getting the following

QSC K10

QSC K10 Tote

Mackie SRM 150

Gator G-Mix B1212 Mixer case.

Willie Dixon

The scene is set.

The trigger has been pulled!!

I just completed the order. I'm getting the following

QSC K10

QSC K10 Tote

Mackie SRM 150

Gator G-Mix B1212 Mixer case.

GOOD FOR YOU ! Based on the positive comments here, a K10 is awaiting me at the UPS store for pickup

SpaceStation V3,

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

I just brought the K10 home and unpacked it and tried it out before my gig tonight.

My first thought was I made a mistake, this small tiny thing cannot sound good..

My first notes heard through the cabinet dispelled those thoughts,

I am now in musical Nirvana, and I cannot wait for my gig tonite

Thank you guys for the sincere discussions and damn you for feeding my G.A.S

SpaceStation V3,

Ok the place was small ,long and narrow, wood, and high ceiling.

Stage was cramped. Guitarist had two 12 rig, bass player some 300 watt 2 piece setup, miked the bass drum, and 3 way FOH JBL setup

Using just a Roland V Combo for the gig tonite.

I unfolded my rock n roll cart and set the K10 on it behind me.so it was about 5 feet off teh floor. Set the bass switch to off and vocal to off.

LOUD and CLEAN and CLEAN and did i SAY IT WAS CLEAN? This is the first on stage monitoring rig that has done that. was so nice to hear myself and not compete with the other instruments on stage. I even had to TURN DOWN!!!

I did find I had to roll off the bass on the on board EQ of my board, that blew my mind. The bass response of the K10 is amazing , I had too look twice to assure myself the deep switch was not engaged.

This powered speaker is a winner.

SpaceStation V3,

I did find I had to roll off the bass on the on board EQ of my board, that blew my mind. The bass response of the K10 is amazing , I had too look twice to assure myself the deep switch was not engaged.

This powered speaker is a winner.

To think the speaker was not coupled to the floor either....

I've got a Peavey speaker/amp stand that I'm planning to use with mine. Lifts it up about 2' and tilts it back a bit. Just enough to uncouple it from the floor, and point it at my ears.

Fed Ex is saying I can expect it on Wednesday. It left Ohio this morning.

Willie Dixon

Oh, man, the anticipation is killing me!!!

I just looked at the tracking, and my new gear arrived in Cocoa this morning. That's only a 30 minute drive from me, and where the main Fed Ex facility is for the area. Should be delivered today.

I've got my 18 year-old nephew on call right now. If I'm still at work and I see that it's been delivered, I'll give him a call. He lives 100 yds away, and has a key to my house, and knows the alarm code, so he can get the boxes and move them into the house.

My wife may be home (taking the day off for doctor's appointments) but she cannot lift anything.

On another GAS related note, I mentioned in another thread that my N364 died. I decided that I didn't need another keyboard, as I have the Hammond keyboard that I can use, as well as a 61 note controller board. So I decided to get a rackmount module instead, keeping my budget down. I've been a fan of Korg since I got my M1. And all I need for onstage sounds are things that the M1 does well. So, I bid on, and won, an M3R. I know it's a stripped down M1, but it will have all the sounds I need.

I should get that next week sometime.

Willie Dixon

I hate you guys. :)

All this talk about how great this K10 sounds.... I'm going to buy one. A guy came to check out my Leslie last night and he wants it, he's supposed to come tonight or tomorrow morning to pick it up. I got 700 for it- just enough for a K10.

I currently use a Mackie Thump, which sounds pretty good to me. Not perfect, but for the $$, it's a decent speaker. I was going to pick up 2 more with the Leslie $$ to use for the band PA, so we can retire these old JBLs we have. Now, I'll just wait til I sell some of the other gear I have for sale and buy 1 more Thump to add to the 1 I have now for the PA.

Thanks for making me focus on what's important- making ME happier! Between this thread and Kanker's thread, I got gassing so bad last night I was ready to pull out the charge card for the K10, but I'll remain disciplined and wait for the cash in hand from the Leslie.

Anyone interested in some giant old Peavey subs, Carvin monitors, or a couple power amps? :)

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I hate you guys. :)

All this talk about how great this K10 sounds.... I'm going to buy one. A guy came to check out my Leslie last night and he wants it, he's supposed to come tonight or tomorrow morning to pick it up. I got 700 for it- just enough for a K10.

I currently use a Mackie Thump, which sounds pretty good to me. Not perfect, but for the $$, it's a decent speaker. I was going to pick up 2 more with the Leslie $$ to use for the band PA, so we can retire these old JBLs we have. Now, I'll just wait til I sell some of the other gear I have for sale and buy 1 more Thump to add to the 1 I have now for the PA.

Thanks for making me focus on what's important- making ME happier! Between this thread and Kanker's thread, I got gassing so bad last night I was ready to pull out the charge card for the K10, but I'll remain disciplined and wait for the cash in hand from the Leslie.

Anyone interested in some giant old Peavey subs, Carvin monitors, or a couple power amps? :)

I understand completely. I've been reading in this forum for years where guys are able to relieve the GAS attack, and my GAS level has built up. It will be such a relief to finally release the buildup. No one will be able to come into my office/studio for a while. :)

They're on the truck for delivery.

Willie Dixon

OK now I'm Excited!

My wife just called me and said, "Your Toys are Here!"

Now I have to sit at work while I want to just go home and PLAY

Willie Dixon

You sure has made me understand the concept GAS:). Good luck, maybe I'll join in after my journey to Egypt.

Don't take me serious, I'm just playing.

------------------------------------------------------------

Gear: Hammond XK5-system, Nord Stage3 Compact, Crumar Seven, Rhodes Mk2; Hammond M44

OK now I'm Excited!

I'm travelling today... Really close to your house.

Ummmm, what's your street address Ronnie? :)

I'll go by and make sure everything arrived in good order. :evil::laugh:

Keep the GAS reports coming in.

Pictures are nice too.

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

OK now I'm Excited!

I'm travelling today... Really close to your house.

Ummmm, what's your street address Ronnie? :)

I'll go by and make sure everything arrived in good order. :evil::laugh:

Keep the GAS reports coming in.

Pictures are nice too.

Tom

Absolutely on the Pics.

Tom, if you really were close, I'd break out my stash of Chimay Ale and invite you over for a box opening party.

I ordered a 30' MIDI cable, and a 4U Gator roto-molded rack today.

Willie Dixon

Tom, if you really were close, I'd break out my stash of Chimay Ale and invite you over for a box opening party.

:thu:

Oh man. U gonna have so much fun tonite! :laugh:

OK now I'm Excited!

When my Hammond was delivered, I was at work. My bass player & drummer (who both work from home occasionally)said they'd go over and bring it in the house for me, and that they'd try not to have too many noticeable beer rings on the finish when I got home.

Funny guys.....

Yeah, the excitement level was high that day at work.

Fake an illness like galloping trots, or something equally 'get away from me'

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

OK now I'm Excited!

When my Hammond was delivered, I was at work. My bass player & drummer (who both work from home occasionally)said they'd go over and bring it in the house for me, and that they'd try not to have too many noticeable beer rings on the finish when I got home.

Funny guys.....

Yeah, the excitement level was high that day at work.

Fake an illness like galloping trots, or something equally 'get away from me'

I've only got 2 hours 9 minutes & 37 seconds until I get off work.

Only a 10 minute drive to get home.

And my wife will be at the dentist, so it'll just be me and the dogs and cat.

Make that 2 hours, 7 minutes & 43 seconds. :crazy:

Willie Dixon

Archived