Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Moog Slim Phatty

Dana.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not to derail but, just snared me one of these off Ebay...... :)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y193/Bluntinst/IMG_5558.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y193/Bluntinst/IMG_5555.jpg

Wowis that a custom unit? Backlit rack mounted module? Badass bro!

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Nice, perhaps one can connect a real keyboard to it instead of the crappy one they mount on the little phatty.......it is one of my faourite synths but the keys rally suck.

Amen. I tried it in a music store and thought "Really? This is the keybed they used? Really!?" (Felt the same way about the Virus, too.)

I don't know if I'd go for a Slim Phatty over a Tetra though. They are different beasts, I know.

I make software noises.

Probably coming soon to more racks than desktops, assuming this thing is rack mountable. Could be just the ticket for those wanting the Moog bass sound in their rack, but don't want to fork out for a Voyager RME. LP does Moog bass as well as a Voyager IMO.

It's the Voyager that's on my long term wish list though, and I'll buy one eventually. Congrats DanS on your new purchase! It's gorgeous.

I kinda like the feel of the Little Phatty keybed... it feels right to me for a synth...

I agree. I played the prototype LP then later a production model and was pretty pleased with the finger/ear connection.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

It's the Voyager that's on my long term wish list though, and I'll buy one eventually. Congrats DanS on your new purchase! It's gorgeous.

Thanks man, I bagged it for the price of a new Phatty (in Canadian $$, before we hit parity).

You should hear this sucker hooked up to a PolyEvolver. :love:

Wowis that a custom unit? Backlit rack mounted module? Badass bro!

Not custom, all RME's come in that flavour, sharp eh?

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

I kinda like the feel of the Little Phatty keybed... it feels right to me for a synth...

I agree. I played the prototype LP then later a production model and was pretty pleased with the finger/ear connection.

As always the feel is in the eye of the beholder, but moog sure cut the product cost by putting such a low end keyboard action into the LP. I got the tribute edition of the LP and if you look from the side one can see that the keys are uneven, they also fel sloppy. I also must say I get much more connection to the sound via midi using a motif........wouldn't mind replacing the keys if there where a kit :-)

The voyager looks tasty, but when is the new memorymoog coming...

/Fred

/Fred

The voyager looks tasty, but when is the new memorymoog coming... :o

According to B3-er, maybe never:

I think it would be silly for Moog to do one, especially since that was never what Bob Moog himself was about.

Not sure why Bob Moog would have been opposed to making a polyphonic analog synth.

:laugh:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Not sure why Bob Moog would have been opposed to making a polyphonic analog synth.

:laugh:

Considering the fact that one of the early Moog prototypes (1964) was polyphonic, I doubt that Bob had anything at all against the concept of a polyphonic synth.

Considering the fact that one of the early Moog prototypes (1964) was polyphonic, I doubt that Bob had anything at all against the concept of a polyphonic synth.

Thanks... I figured the other story was just speculation.

:idk

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

And here's the official announcement, as posted on SonicState this morning:

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2010/10/16/new-moog-slim-phatty-announced/

Looks to be aimed squarely at the budget offerings from DSI.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I love Moog and I wish I had one, but you really have to look at the price of this and compare the features to the Tetra which is even a bit cheaper. Tetra has 4 voices, multitimbral, voice combinations, 4 sequencers, chainable.

I looked thru the LP manual and although it has good modulation routing, it is not as thorough as Tetra's. There is way more info on the Tetra's edit screen (computer based) than you can see when editing the LP (front panel).

What really attracts me to the Moog is the CV control and expandability and its wonderful filter sound......which is mighty important for sure.

I'm still gonna hold out for a mini...I wish the "old School" was still in production.

You can't really compare DSI stuff and Moog. They sound completely different. One isn't necessarily better, in fact I think they compliment each other well.

As for Moog making a poly, I have no idea if they will or not, I was just expressing my opinion. There are a lot of options if you're looking for a poly, some very close to the Moog sound.

... but NOT including that DX7 in your avatar. :-)

I agree that one of each is best -- the filters sound entirely different, and it's always best to use multiple synths in a song due to the "filter stacking" issue when using just one synth.

I would be hard pressed to say which I like best. I would hope I would never have to make that choice. :-)

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

To me, the Moog is that classic buttery smooth beautiful 70's analog sound. The DSI is much more aggressive 80s Curtis chip / 90's techno kind of sound. They work really well together.

I gotta concur. My Poly & RME sound great together.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Hey now, the DX7 is still a great synth,

Well, that is !

2 days ago, a old DX7 went for EUR 480.- @ebay.de and 2 others for over 250.- yesterday !

Prices are rising now.

A DX5 went for neary 1.000.- yesterday.

To me, the Moog is that classic buttery smooth beautiful 70's analog sound. The DSI is much more aggressive 80s Curtis chip / 90's techno kind of sound. They work really well together.

I played on my Minimoog D ´til 2 in the morning and forgot to eat and drink. It´s a connectivity I don´t have w/ each other synth I own and I love connecting a real CV pedal for realtime VCF control in addition.

Because I have the old original, the Slim Phatty seems a ideal addition to me,- it has sync, preset progammability and more,- and it´s small and relatively cheap.

If I had to decide to buy a Voyager as "my only one Moog", I´d prefer the keyboard version over the RME rack version.

A.C.

Archived