Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Got a new diaphragm installed in my driver of my Leslie

b_3guy

When I initially bought my Leslie, I said to the guy the driver in the top rotor sounded a bit buzzy. We compared it to his Leslie 122 & it was the same, so I never thought much more about. I bought the Leslie & I recorded a bunch of stuff with it & wasn't 100% happy with the sound. It was noisy & the bottom rotor made a lot of noise especially on high speed.

One day I mistakenly called the guy I bought the Leslie from by hitting the wrong contact number on my iPhone & he picked up. So we hadn't chatted in a while so I told him I was thinking about ordering in a new driver for the Leslie. He said before I do, he'd come over & swop a driver he had in it & see if it was better. I didn't hear from him for a while, so I called him over the weekend. Turned out he had lost my number & said he would come over whenever I wanted. I said how about tomorrow, so he came over. We actually tried two different drivers, one that had a new diaphragm in it & another he had bought off of eBay. The one with the new diaphragm actually sounded better, plus I liked the idea of no miles on the diaphragm. As far as the bottom rotor being noisy, it was installed upside down, loose because the rubber sleeves were dirty & the cloth was so ripped it was flopping in the wind. He took the rotor out, took off the cloth & cleaned the rubber. Then installed it properly. It sounds so much better. I'm going to have to re-record a bunch of tunes that I've done with it, because it sounds so much better.

In the end there was no charge & he said he'd order in a new scrim cloth for the bottom rotor. I'm pretty pleased, considering I bought the Leslie from him last year. There are still some good people in the world.

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That DOES re-affirm your faith in humanity, and also musicians.

And especially the mistaken dial and return call..almost like karma,faith, planetary alignment...

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

Eric, I never asked that question. The drivers looked like & fitted like the original Jensen drivers and I never saw the diaphragm because he had it already installed. But I was able to pick the one I wanted. The one I picked was rounder sounding than the other & as I said had the replaced diaphragm. The other had a rougher sound than the one I picked.

It does reaffirm your faith in people.

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

I had my tech install a new Hammond Ferro Fluid driver into my 147. Sounds fantastic! Much more punch out of the high end.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I had some noise coming from the diaphram in my EON. I took it to the shop. The guy disassembled it & couldn't find anything wrong. When he put it back together it worked perfectly.

Some time back it fell out of my van. I figure that this jolt got the diaphram out of alignment. Perhaps dirt or something got in it as well.

Whatever it was - and it was very subtle, but *I* heard it - it was fixed with a simple disassembly / reassembly.

Speakers all sound a little different - even when they're the same model. It's best to listen and compare (instead of simply looking at specs or taking someone's word for it).

This is why it makes sense to study your options when something doesn't sound quite right. Getting that new diaphram in that Leslie probably made a HUGE difference not only in the sound, but in the way it makes you play.

In the end you don't want anything coming between you and the music (which is why I'm not fond of playing acoustic piano parts on an unweighted keyboard (which I used to do on my K2000)). :rolleyes:

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I had some noise coming from the diaphram in my EON. I took it to the shop. The guy disassembled it & couldn't find anything wrong. When he put it back together it worked perfectly.

Some time back it fell out of my van. I figure that this jolt got the diaphram out of alignment. Perhaps dirt or something got in it as well.

Whatever it was - and it was very subtle, but *I* heard it - it was fixed with a simple disassembly / reassembly.

Speakers all sound a little different - even when they're the same model. It's best to listen and compare (instead of simply looking at specs or taking someone's word for it).

This is why it makes sense to study your options when something doesn't sound quite right. Getting that new diaphram in that Leslie probably made a HUGE difference not only in the sound, but in the way it makes you play.

In the end you don't want anything coming between you and the music (which is why I'm not fond of playing acoustic piano parts on an unweighted keyboard (which I used to do on my K2000)). :rolleyes:

Tom

Tom,

Nice use of nested parentheses in the last paragraph. :thu::wave:

Regards,

Joe

Tom,

Nice use of nested parenthesis in the last paragraph. :thu::wave:

Regards,

Joe

Thanks Joe.

Eric reads this stuff and he is a self-admitted English snob. I heard him say it. :)

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Tom,

Nice use of nested parenthesis in the last paragraph. :thu::wave:

Regards,

Joe

Thanks Joe.

Eric reads this stuff and he is a self-admitted English snob. I heard him say it. :)

Yes sir, I would whip out my bada*s grammar police nightstick and get all up in your business! :D

Archived