Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP Solomon Burke

fjzingo

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first rock-pop record was Soloman Burkes"Get outta my life woman" back in '68. It came on a frozen pizza that my visiting Uncle from Toledo bought when I Lived in Dallas. I was in the 3rd

grade,before that I was lisening to Mary Poppin's and Pebbles and

Bam Bam. I guess my parents we're afraid of rock'n roll. I still

have that 45 too!

I saw him twice and he was impressive. So great voice and quite a stage appereence. It's a surprise there is such a weak participation in this thread from our american forumites. Was he totally forgoten in the USA?
Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

He was sadly not well known here. In fact, I read an obit of him talking about how others were more popular, despite his influence on them.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

He performed at the Rochester International Jazz Fest this past summer. I wasn't at the show, but to sum up the comments from the folks who attended the show, "phenomenal!!" From what I heard, the ladies there each got a rose.

I can remember when my mom used to play those Solomon Burke records back when I was in the single-digits, Southern-fried soul blues at it's best. RIP

Kronos 88 Platinum, Yamaha YC88, Subsequent 37, Korg CX3, Hydrasynth 49-key, Nord Electro 5D 73, QSC K8.2, Lester K

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band

I saw him directly after his comeback "Don't give up on me" at our local jazzclub here in Gothenburg Sweden, absolutely fenomonal.

Before he came on stage sitting in his royal chair, the band played some boring blues stuff, but as soon as Solomon Burke entered the stage you sure know who is the king of rock'n soul.

/Fred

Solomon Burke lived a very interesting life. I've heard various stories about how he was also a mortician, and would pick up work while on the road, embalming at funeral homes along the way.

On a personal note, the organ work on "Don't Give Up On Me" is what finally pushed me over the edge and converted me from a bassist to an aspiring organ player. I've still got a long way to go, but without Solomon Burke I would have never started down the path.

Archived