Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stupid Win 98se Question

I have a MIDI interface connected to my parallel printer port. Sometimes, I'll turn the computer on and intentionally leave the interface turned off. When the machine boots and gets to the desk top, a little screen comes up and says that the MIDI device is not available, do I want to continue. Yes, great! Then, maybe an hour later, I decide I want to use the interface. Is there a way I can re-activate (for lack of another term) the parallel port without re-booting? Thanks! GY

GY

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Usually, you have to have the device in question turned on while the computer boots in order for Windows to recognize it. USB and Firewire are great since they are hot-swappable, which allows you to connect/disconnect devices while Windows is running. But otherwise, you'll have to reboot if you want Windows to see this device. [ 11-27-2001: Message edited by: Dylan Walters ]

[quote]Originally posted by Dylan Walters: [b]USB and Firewire are great since they are hot-swappable, which allows you to connect/disconnect devices while Windows is running. But otherwise, you'll have to reboot if you want Windows to see this device.[/b][/quote] Same happens with SCSI connections. Just try to keep you device always ON while you start windows. [i]I did not see any stupid question around... [/i]

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

OK... You can do this! Say you forgot to turn on your LPT or USB device (I know that's exactly what you did say). 1. Either, right-click on the "My Computer" icon and select properties, or go to the Control Panel and select the System icon. 2. Go to the Device Manager tab and either select the Refresh button or press the F5 key. This forces the Device Manager to revalidate all know connections.. even 'dead' ones. You should be back in business!

"It's all about the... um-m-m, uh-h-h..."

Go to the start menu.. Go to restart the puter.. But hold the shift button down while you restart the puter. Then you can miss the scsi startup etc.. Restarts at the drivers level only.. Saves a bit of time.. That good ol Shift button Eh!!!! Brian
Smile if you're not wearin panties.

Archived