Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dang, I didn't know he still had such subtlety ...

d  halfnote

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keef has always been about the blues.

you can find lot's of clips with him just pickin' blues.

Watch the outtakes of 'Pirates' and you'll see him picking Spanish Lady on the guitar Danny Ferrington made him for the movie.

"Who's gonna teach the children about Chuck Berry?"

Well, until arthritis slows one down a real artist should just keep getting more refined with each passing year. It's been almost 40 years since "Prodigal Son" so Keith has had time to listen to & incorporate a lot of his original influences. Too bad his day job doesn't really allow more than a mere caricature of their original Blues infatuation since that was what fueled the inception of the band. I'm not sure what motivates a comfortable multi-millionaire to do anything, but he certainly has the authority to do a real back to basics Blues solo project, if it interested him enough.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

I'm kinda of 2 minds here...

The Strolling Ruins were only ever a tangential "blues" band.

Even their most devoted blues fan (Brian Jones) was nominal at best.

SF brings up a significant point, though; if y'look at KR's hands it's wonder he can even fret a note.

That's really what stunned me here, though, was his ability to actually play the things in that vid...well, plus his coherent verbal expression. :D

d=halfnote

Keith's hands have looked like that for a lot of years.

One should be careful about believing the hype about KR. Yeah, he's done a lot of drugs. Yeah, he cultivates an outlaw image (of course, he did bitch out Chuck Berry in "Hail, Hail, Rock 'n Roll" - who does THAT?). But he also co-led his band into being one of the world's most successful, and wrote or co-wrote a bunch of hit songs, some of which have become pop standards. Intelligent, creative, sensitive, dedicated to his craft.

Well, Chad, to Chuck Berry's credit, he DID put KR in his place, as I recall.

It's a shame it took the british to wake up American audiences to the national treasures like our own blues heritage, just like the shame that American jazz giants like Bird and Diz and all of them had to go to Europe to be truly appreciated

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Well, Chad, to Chuck Berry's credit, he DID put KR in his place, as I recall.
Not sure CB put KR in his place so much as KR let it go. His facial expression didn't look cowed at all...I read an interview w/Keith later in which he said he just took a line off Chuck's stage amp to another amp in the basement, which he recorded Chuck's guitar from, adjusted the way he wanted it, without telling Chuck. :grin:

It's a shame it took the British to wake up American audiences to the national treasures like our own blues heritage, just like the shame that American jazz giants like Bird and Diz and all of them had to go to Europe to be truly appreciated.

Whitefang

Yes.

Was it nevershot" ?!!!!

:laugh:

Though KR is often touted as "a coir boy", he's at least # 4 in the grammercy of Rolling Sones musicians.

[behind Brian J; Bill 'Whaddeverhis name is"; & Cholly ].

Keef's main sensibility is that whatever the highest pitch I can almost reach is the appropriate harmony.

:laugh:

d=halfnote

I used "Hail Hail Rock n Roll" as a source for a paper I did in grad school on documentary films, and I didn't come away from it thinking much of ol' Chuck. In one of the interviews Hackford included in the film, Keith said he tried to stop Chuck to congratulate him after the final gig they shot for the film. Keef caught up with him, grabbed his shoulder, Chuck swung around without even looking, and smashed him one in the face. I don't know if it was a reflex from the time Chuck spent in the joint, or if he knew it was Keef and decked him for real or imagined slights, but nothing was said about any apology being made.

Maybe it was just the way Hackford put it together, but Chuck Berry looked like a bitter, mean-spirited jackass in that film. That made me sad, because he was one of my heroes. I really loved his music when I was a kid.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Maybe it was just the way Hackford put it together, but Chuck Berry looked like a bitter, mean-spirited jackass in that film.

I'm sure it's just the way Hackford put it together, because, in spite of all appearances that he is just a bitter, mean-spirited jackass, in fact Chuck Berry is really just a bitter, mean-spirited jackass.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

I used "Hail Hail Rock n Roll" as a source for a paper I did in grad school on documentary films, and I didn't come away from it thinking much of ol' Chuck. In one of the interviews Hackford included in the film, Keith said he tried to stop Chuck to congratulate him after the final gig they shot for the film. Keef caught up with him, grabbed his shoulder, Chuck swung around without even looking, and smashed him one in the face. I don't know if it was a reflex from the time Chuck spent in the joint, or if he knew it was Keef and decked him for real or imagined slights, but nothing was said about any apology being made.

Maybe it was just the way Hackford put it together, but Chuck Berry looked like a bitter, mean-spirited jackass in that film. That made me sad, because he was one of my heroes. I really loved his music when I was a kid.

The punching Keith didn't occur after the filming, it was actually much earlier in the Stones' career.

Chuck is a complicated man. Read his autobiography for some fascinating insights.

Archived