Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

CME UF80 Pedal??

Steve Nathan

I searched, but didn't find an answer to this question.

CME sent me a UF80 to try, and I can't get it to respond to any of my expression pedals properly. Some don't work at all (FC7), and others vary from uneven to unusable. I read the mag's review of this controller (I think it was Steve F.), but I don't recall seeing this issue addressed.

Anyone use one of these with a foot controller? Which brand?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steve:

For what it's worth, the UF series is set up by default so that Pedal B is set as a continuous input, transmitting on CC#11 (Expression) rather than CC#7 (Volume). Just want to be sure you're aware of that.

I'm surprised the FC7 doesn't work at all, but if that's the case, a Roland EV5 or EV7 should work.

I'd suggest connecting to a PC running MidiOx to get a look at exactly what's happening with the pedal (min/max values and which controller number, using different pedals). Once you have that, I can help a little more. :)

Thx Sven (though I was aware). Yeah, I have tried every polarity, etc., just in case.

BTW: I plugged the FC7 into an Axiom 61 v2, and in the display the FC7 shows a value range of 127 to 123!! I suspect the UF is reading it similarly.

I haven't been able to find my Roland EV5, and no one carries them locally, so I have yet to try one in the application.

Switching the "polarity" of the CC input on Pedal B is a simple step, and should make using either one workable, but I do intend to get a Roland and see what ensues.

Well, "polarity" is half the battle... the other half is the resistance value of the pot in the pedal... and before folks say "it's a simple voltage divider, resistance doesn't matter" that's not always the case.

There's a UF80 at my local retailer... I can test a few pedals when I'm there on Tuesday if it'll help. :thu:

As always, you've already been most helpful. I know I had a Roland pedal around here somewhere, but I can not find it!

I'm with you on the resistance of the pot issue. I just don't think I should have to modify an "off the shelf" pedal just to get one that will work with this particular "off the shelf" controller.

Archived