Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

biggest gig I ever played

Switch hitter

Awesome pics! That's cool that you got a little "shine time" with the bow, too, even in a 16 (14?) piece band. (Also makes life easier when there are 15/13 other folks on stage helping make the music!)

You guys had IEMs so the floor monitors were just a backup? Glad to hear there were no issues with stage sound.

I'm not a fan of the static layout, with your own 3x3 foot square to stand in, but since it was a large P&W group I know that makes more sense. At least you had risers. Also, you've got 6/8 good looking front people to engage the audience, so you could get away as a shoegazing statue. Did you get a chance to engage the audience? At least look up and smile, if you weren't able to open your arms like your guitar neighbor?

And yes, it's a real pleasure working with pro sound and lighting at that level. Hopefully you got a chance to thank them.

(You may want to thank the Big Guy, too, for giving you an opportunity few get: playing in front of a large, receptive crowd.)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually for some reason they only got my "Shoegazer moments" on camera. The bandleader actually put me and the guitarist together because we have a reputation for engaging the crowd and playing off each other. But here's another thing I just noticed... All the pics they have of me, are me with the bow, which I only played on 1 and a half songs, which explains all the "shoegazer" pics, because when I played with the bow, It usually is on a slow song where I dont move as much. Oh well. All the other times I had no problem looking at the crowd and engaging the audience.

Oh and its 14 band members. The two in the middle of the stage are my pastor and his wife to welcome the crowd.

Cool- glad for you to be able to do that.

I like the bass you are playing in those pics as well. Is that a Gibson with the frets ripped out?

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

Its a modified epiphone. The frets were ripped out, I put a dimarzio model one pickup on the neck, a rickenbacker neck pickup in the center and made it a stereo bass. The dimarzio feeding the bass frequencies while the middle and bridge pickup going through my effects and feeding the mids and highs.

Good photos! Looks like it was a fun gig to play, and seeing you play the bow on you Epi makes me wanna price a bow. I never thought of bowing an electric bass before and I'm intrigued by it.

:thu:

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

what I found is that with the electric bass, your stuck with either staying with the two outer strings, or bowing all 4 in a chord. I also play close to the middle, If you look at the pics Im playing over the middle pickup. The reason for this is because if I play too close to the bridge. I get alot of squeaking. As for bow pricing, I just bought a cheap one on ebay and the rosin I use is pretty heavy.

Have you tried raising the bridge saddles to an appropriate arc-like shape?

Especially if this bass is "just" for bowing, you might want to give it a try...

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

No, not thinking of the EBow, but I might need to give one a try sometime.

The thing I was thinking of was about 3 or 4 inches long...if I remember correctly. Seem to remember seeing and ad for it about 20 years ago. Guess I need to climb into the attic and dig through my old issues of Guitar Player. Or not.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived