Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - Here is a gig I wouldn't take

CEB

If this job depended on me you could kiss your TV and cell phone service goodbye.

[video:youtube]To4E1J62lSU

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, that is REALLY impressive.

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

My Genesis Tribute Band: www.sellingfairfaxbythepound.com

I've been up to the 1500' level of the WITN-TV Grifton, NC tower - that part was easy - ride the elevator (another guy and I were working on a ham radio repeater at that level).

I climbed the 800' New Bern WCTI-TV tower (no elevator) to the 700' level when I was in my early 30's - and used a spare feedline to feed a 20 meter inverted V ham radio antenna that I connected out by the guy wires. That part was also easy (except for the hard work of lifting oneself - even worse going back down when already tired) - because the tower is about 8' across, and one climbs INSIDE. Climbing the outside part - no way.

It was actually less mental strain than climbing the 90' ham tower I had in my yard - since that one only had a 14" size, all the climbing was outside.

The management back then was very tight - we had a tower lamp needed replacement on the top - one of the 20 year old cameramen climbed all the way up (BTW - this has to be done AFTER sign-off because the RF power would fry you). Rumor has it that said cameraman lit up a bogie while up there. That must have been a real HIGH.

I have a great deal of respect for what the two guys in the video do - but I don't want the gig.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

yeeesh....

That's over 700 feet above pattern altitude at my local airport.

LOL that's what it looks like to friends when I take them sightseeing around the area at about 1500ft AGL. (above ground level).

No thanks..

Maybe if I could wear a parachute. Could be fun. Finish the work and then dive off. ;)

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom-08| Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

It is amazing how calm they seemed. I am sure they sway quite a bit up there, but it is not evident in the video.

I couldn't get paid enough to do that.

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

My brother is a TV engineer. Showed me a picture from their tower once. After watching that vid a couple of weeks ago, I called him to make sure he didn't do that kind of stuff. He assured me that he had just rode the elevator on their tower to the top, took the pic, and said that was enough. He didn't, and won't, climb the rest of the way. The benefits of being the boss I guess...
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Ive got shrinkage.

+1

Out here, there are roads with 1700'+ drops, no guardrails, but at least I'm still on a small piece of terra firma: the road; and I still get mild vertigo from that experience. Climbing transmission towers is in a whole 'nother league altogether. Definitely not a gig I could cut.... :sick:

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

When I was young and indestructible, I use to do this at this lovely site:

http://www.roadandtravel.com/adventuretravel/hangliding.htm

Somehow, climbing that tower seemed even more stupid.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I saw that a few weeks back and was just amazed then at how they just kept going up and up on to smaller and smaller climbing devices... unhitch the safety line. Takes a very special set of nerves to do that.

Just watching a few moments of it today make my knees weak.

I have a small 40' ham radio tower at my home - can't even climb that much past 30' (it levers over for maintenance).

My brother used to climb the WGME-13 tower in Raymond, ME (~1619') when he worked for DuKane. When I saw this video I finally knew: one of us is adopted.

73 de N1NOF

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

If this job depended on me you could kiss your TV and cell phone service goodbye.

[video:youtube]To4E1J62lSU

You and me both! Man, no freakin' way would I do that. I had to go on my roof recently to repair some siding, and it was just the siding above the garage, and I am never doing that again. I'm not afraid of too many things, but heights is one of them.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

Have any of you ever jumped out of an airplane, with a parachute, of course? :D

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I wanted to but got ordered not to. I was in Air Force Special Ops as an avionics tech in Germany. We went to Denmark to fly their aerial demonstration team. We would take them up in the MC130 and drop them out the back. I practiced folding the chute, landing properly for a week. About 2 hrs. before it was time, my commander called. It seems since my job wasn't jumping out of airplanes that the US Air Force would have to do a line of duty determination in the event I got hurt or killed, no insurance.

At 28 I was fearless, now at 50, no way!

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Have any of you ever jumped out of an airplane, with a parachute, of course? :D

:wave:

Steve, where did you do it? I did it in MI so we might have used the same place.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Archived