Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Halloween weekend gigs

Eric Jx

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We have a gig at one of our regular places. We were talking about going as a biker gang.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Last year we did a gig on Halloween that was at a huge dance hall with a costume contest, etc., so we learned Thriller, I Always Fell Like Somebody's Watching Me, and Ghostbusters (all 80s, of course). We played them for about a month or 2 around halloween but haven't played them for a while. We were talking the other day that we should bust them back out. Shouldn't be too tough to blow out the cob webs and get them back up to speed.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Is anybody preparing any special covers for a halloween gig?

I have an orchestra gig on Halloween, typical orchestral "halloween" music like Danse Macabre, Alfred Hitchcock theme etc.

Any cool costume ideas?

In the early 90s I had another orchestra show. I went as Hannibal Lecter. I had the stagehands put me on a dolly and roll me out on stage with the mask on. :thu: I don't know if enough people in 2010 would understand the reference.

we play the standard "Witchcraft". I wanted to dress as a suicide bomber but the band vetoed this. Damn jazz trio.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench; a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. ............ There's also a negative side"

we play the standard "Witchcraft". I wanted to dress as a suicide bomber but the band vetoed this. Damn jazz trio.

And now, we'd like to do a new number for you called "Does This Bomb Make My Ass Look Phat?"

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

I have one with my jazz trio ... but I think we'll just go as "musicians", as Kevin said. Although we briefly talked about dressing as Larry, Curly, and Moe in painter's uniforms. :)

No special setlist alterations planned, either ...

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

What, nobody's doing "Monster Mash"? :P

When I was in dance bands, we always did that for Halloween. We also did Spooky, and it seems like there were a few others, but for the life of me I can't seem to remember what they were right this second.

We don't really do stuff like that in the Santana Tribute Band. Too bad, actually, I sort of enjoyed the cheesier stuff. :D

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

We usually play for a masquerade ball at a private club in Portsmouth (the 100 Club).

I usually don't go in costume - most costumes are too restrictive to play keys/sax all night. Last year my drummer showed up as a mime - and didn't break character all night - set-up, gig, and take-down. Usually a silent drummer is a blessing, but this guy is really a lot of fun, so it was a bit weird. Eventually we figured out it was open season on "drummer jokes" so we had some fun.

Tunes: we dust off "Spooky", and usually have some of the other Hallowe'en music on CD during the (short) breaks.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

Some friends of mine that are ALMOST as old as I am have a band and are playing a gig on Halloween, so I'll be going there to hang out for the night.

I usually like to take a ride by the "downtown" bars where all the Penn State students hang to check out the costumes. A LOT of the girls dress up as "ladies of the night" and you can't beat the scenery. :cop:

I know, dirty old man you say? Let me say that I AM NOT DIRTY. :D

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

What, nobody's doing "Monster Mash"? :P

When I was in dance bands, we always did that for Halloween. We also did Spooky, ...

The covers band I'm playing a gig with on the 23rd is doing 'the Mash'... I like 'Spooky'. I like the remake of it that Atlanta Rhythm Section did. IIRC, I heard they recorded the original version too, but under a different band name or something. The later (70's?) version has a nice Rhodes solo on it as opposed to just guitar on the original.

The Classics Four did the original version of Spooky, but I don't know if any of the guys in the Atlanta Rhythm section were in that band. IIRC, the Classics Four version had a sax solo.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Oingo Boingo, Dead Man's Party. Creepy expressions on their faces in that video, totally excellent.

Me, I'm just playing a couple church gigs, which should be interesting. Or not at all.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

A number of years ago, my band did a gig and we dressed up as the village people. It was great. I was the hard hat guy. We called our selves the 'Value Village People' for that night (for those that don't know 'Value Village' is a thrift store where one can get used clothes, and is a really popular place to buy and put together Hallowe'en costumes).

We played thriller that night, and it went over HUGE!!!

The band I am now in has two gigs over Hallowe'en weekend, but it is difficult to get these guys to dress up...

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

Archived