Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Opinions, please from the Hammond club - M3 near me

Brad Kaenel

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/msg/1985216409.html

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/msg/1983622172.html

I've read what's been written here about the Hammond M3; I think I understand the positives and negatives. These seem like pretty decent prices if they're really in as good condition as they look in the pix.

The advertiser of the second listing makes some claims about desirability of his particular organ that are beyond my very limited experience.

Can I get a few helpful opinions from our seasoned Hammond owners and techs, please?

Legend '70s Compact, Jupiter-Xm, Studiologic Numa X 73

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The M3 has fewer pedals, it also has 1 fewer octaves on each manual and no preset keys etc. When a B3 is lifted the pedals are not attached so their weight isn't added to the rest of the organ.

Older M3's have a field coil speaker, newer ones a permanent magnet type. I don't know that one is considered better sounding than the other.

If you can listen to them before buying, make sure the pedals work properly. The pedal drawbar pushes/pulls a plunger in and out of a can (IIRC it is an air capacitor). If the material in the can has dried out the pedals may not sound properly. Also if it has gone bad it can cause the manuals to not sound properly unless it is pushed all the way in. The cans are still available if needed - at least my local dealer has told me he has them if I ever decide to replace the one in my M2. The one in my M3 is working just fine.

Check the one in the truck to see if they already locked the TWG down. If not, the bouncing it received being moved into the truck may have broken some wires where they attach to the TWG. It is a fairly easy fix if any are.

Good Luck.

A problem with the pedals can cause the manuals to not work properly, is that what you're saying?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Brad,

Test all the keys and each individual draw bar, keeping in mind that the 1' draw bar won't sound if percussion is on (Hammond experts please correct me if I am wrong). Test all the rocker switches too (perc, vibrato etc.). Test the expression pedal.

You will need a 6 pin Leslie to get the most out of it. Another option is putting a 1/4" out on it and going to a ventilator and then into an amp.

Good luck and let us know!

Regards,

Joe

A problem with the pedals can cause the manuals to not work properly, is that what you're saying?

There could be other issues with the pedals that won't affect the manuals. The material in the can can dry out and as I understand it, if it dries out and cracks it can cause a short that causes the overall signal to drop down. My M2 has this problem and as long as I leave the drawbar pushed in it works fine and sounds great. My dealer told me it is an easy fix and he has the part if I want it. I don't play the pedals on the M2 so I haven't bothered yet. My M3's pedals work just fine.

I disconnected the voice coil on the M2 (put a resistor across the amp terminals and installed a 1/4" line to a DI box that pads the signal down and then run the DI through a mixer and into the effects return of my XK-3c. I play the M2 along with the '3c.

If you get a field coil type M3, and want a line out without the internal speaker, you need to put a resistor across the voice coil terminals (8 Ohm, 25W will do - get a large one that can handle some heat buildup). The field coil will need to remain connected (this is the easiest option) or a resistor will need to be put across its terminals too. This resistor needs to be much larger but I can't remember the value. It is in the archives of the organ forum and I think the line out info in Wikipedia has it as well.

On the M3 I installed a line out through a DI and mixer and then directly into the 3300 and 21 System. I also split the amp output into 2 other loops and installed L-Pads on them. One loop goes to the internal speaker and the other goes to the reverb amp. Originally the lines to the speaker voice coil were connected in parallel from the voice coil to the input of the reverb amp.

Thank you, guys.

I'll print these notes and take 'em with me. Don't know if I'll get to play the one in the truck or not -- although I've kinda always wanted to do that in a parade... :/

Legend '70s Compact, Jupiter-Xm, Studiologic Numa X 73

it may be worth $60... certainly not more than that.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Archived