Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Home made stand idea

Stu McHopton

Watching videos of Tom Petty and looking at the rig of his second keyboardist has me intrigued about doing something like this for a single tier stand. Most of the quality videos are not on You Tube but this one gives you a view from the front:

And from the rear:

It appears to be a custom carpentered wooden shell with a single desk top inside on which a controller sits. The design with the harp in the center is great and you could get really creative with something like this and create your own visual motif.

Has anyone out there tried something like this? I would think to be practical (not having a truck and road crew) you would want to use hinges to fold it for travel and make the desktop removable. Any thoughts or experiences?

Hammond XK3, Rhodes 73 Mk1, Wurlitzer 140B, Kurzweil Pc2R,Kurzweil K2000, Wurlitzer 7300 combo organ

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have built many custom stands over the years. Seems like what you describe would be easy to build, if you have some woodworking skills.

It's still a big hunk of wood however - will be heavy.

Moe

---

"I keep wanting to like it's sound, but every demo seems to demonstrate that it has the earth-shaking punch and peerless sonics of the Roland Gaia. " - Tusker

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

TPH is a band that's already moving a grand piano, a Hammond, a Leslie, a Wurlitzer, plus all the rest of a national tour, so adding the moving of a wooden shell like the one Scott Thurston is using is no big deal for them.

Still, it might be a fun project if you have the skills and time, and the room to load it.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Stu,

Sorta looks like a Hammond spinnet in a way. I like the way it hides pedals, wires etc. Looks a little too much like a dais for me, though.

I've concluded and previously posted that to get a stand exactly the way you want it you either have modify an existing stand or make your own.

I have a three tier set up and started with an On Stage heavy duty double X. There isn't a stock part on it anymore. I extended the bottom arms toward me more (using arms from another stand), I lowered the second tier, and the third tier is a custom PVC job.

I've entertained making a 3 tier out of wood in the style of the Ultimate Apex. you could get pretty wild with designs. Unfortunately, I have to get a lot of other stuff done first. Of course if you make one, we would love to see it!

Regards,

Joe

Stu,

I like the way it hides pedals, wires etc.

That is what attracted me the most. I always find that with most stands there is no way to mask the clutter, or for that matter mask that you are using an axiom p.o.s. controller :) It also looks like a great way to hide setlists and chord charts and perhaps even a mac or mixer. The audience just sees clean lines.

It would surely be heavy but if it could be hinged to fold into itself it might be do-able. I am not handy with woodworking, but do know a couple of carpenters /hobbyists who might be up for it. Time to break out a sketchpad.

Hammond XK3, Rhodes 73 Mk1, Wurlitzer 140B, Kurzweil Pc2R,Kurzweil K2000, Wurlitzer 7300 combo organ

You could hide pedals, cables, etc. more easily with other things, like this.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/34/Adam_MacDougall.jpg/220px-Adam_MacDougall.jpg

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I used something like this for years when I played in a '50s rock band. I had a Korg M1 on an X-stand. I made a fake upright piano case out of plywood. It didn't support the keyboard, but just went around it on 3 sides. It was hinged on each side and folded down flat. I had a lid that sat on top & snugged up the case. I even had a little shelf on the lid that held my piano module.

I used something like this for years when I played in a '50s rock band. I had a Korg M1 on an X-stand. I made a fake upright piano case out of plywood. It didn't support the keyboard, but just went around it on 3 sides. It was hinged on each side and folded down flat. I had a lid that sat on top & snugged up the case. I even had a little shelf on the lid that held my piano module.

That's cool. Do you have any pics? Would love to see it.

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom-08| Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

The piano player in a local band near me gutted a 5 foot grand and bolted an 88 key piano/synth where the key bed was. (I forget which one; I think it was a Korg). Looks kinda cool, but awful lot a baggage to lug around!

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

Archived