Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Oooooh---scary music !

d  halfnote

Familiar Reality by Dr John

Every year recently this is the largest public event in our fair city.

Haunted House by Gene Simmons (not that one).

by Ray Stevens

Not about Jerry...we think...

The Dead try to catch soma that Thriller majic

The Green Manalishi by Petere green's Fleetwood Mac

("Dang, he did mean scary, dinnit he ?!")

"Can you take me back ?" by Paul the McCartney

Revolution 9 by John the Lennon

Zu Zu Mamou by Dr John the Night Tripper

by Funkadelic

Mike Hampton channels Eddie Hazel before he was even dead---now that's scary !

Dig George @ the 7 minute mark as the "phonix butterfly"...ain't that scary ?!

Familiar Reality

What U got ?

d=halfnote

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On another note, kinda tying my Halloweenies thread and this one, I bought a cassette tape back in the '90's of what was supposed to be "fright noises" to play at Halloween. A few minutes into the tape of wolves howling, witches cackling and screams and creaking doors over whistling wind, the people who put it together put in The Mahavishnu Orchestra's "Birds of Fire".

Yep, when I think of Halloween, I think Winnie the Pooh and Jazz/Rock!

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

This may be the scariest piece yet.

Fairport Convention (which gave us both Sandy Denny & Richie Thompson) made one of the best records pop/rock records.

Produced by Joe Boyd, it is the single most dynamically recorded record outside the realm of Rudy Van Gelder, mostly b/c of the skills of drummer Dave Mattacks, who controlled the band with a skill little known outside the jazz arena.

Doubt me? Just get a copy & listen.

It also was the most direct influence on Pete Townshend circa Who's Next....again just listent ot it.

Dig this:

Not only is it musically challenging in a number of ways but it's a wack a story as you'll likely hear this week.

In a vaguely similar but lesser way...

d=halfnote

Dig this:

Not only is it musically challenging in a number of ways but it's a wack a story as you'll likely hear this week.

I just recorded a version of Tam Lin a couple weeks ago for a folksinger. Also recorded it about 25 years ago for another singer.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

Dig this:

I just recorded a version of Tam Lin a couple weeks ago for a folksinger. Also recorded it about 25 years ago for another singer.

Scott Fraser

Not bad for a song at least 400 years old, eh ?

There's a certain scariness there, in itself !!!!

As in the lack of comment on the music.....

d=halfnote

There are probably hundreds of known verses to this song. The singer tends to choose the verses based on his or her intended interpretation. In one case I was working with a singer who wanted to emphasize the strong-woman-feminist element. This month's version was for inclusion in a CD where all songs dealt with Irish-fairy-magic themes. Both singers did about 30 verses, which makes for a 6 to 8 minute song. Neither struck me as scary particularly, since they pushed the notion of transformation rather than impending doom. But still good for Halloween.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

I would have picked Alice Cooper's "Ballad of Dwight Frye", but okay. How about "42 Tibetan Human Thigh Bones" by Psychic TV? Throbbing Gristle's "Hamburger Lady", perhaps? Joy Division's "She's Lost Control", or almost anything off of "Closer".

Johnny Cash's cover of NIN's 'Hurt" - that'll get right up inside your rib cage.

I suppose I should give an Honorable Mention to Bauhaus' "Bela Lugosi's Dead", not because it's that scary, but because it gets used as background music in so many Goth/Vampire bar scenes on tv.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

There are probably hundreds of known verses to this song. The singer tends to choose the verses based on his or her intended interpretation. In one case I was working with a singer who wanted to emphasize the strong-woman-feminist element. This month's version was for inclusion in a CD where all songs dealt with Irish-fairy-magic themes. Both singers did about 30 verses, which makes for a 6 to 8 minute song. Neither struck me as scary particularly, since they pushed the notion of transformation rather than impending doom. But still good for Halloween.

Scott Fraser

All I know in this case, SF, is that it's a great/intricate arrangement (scary enough, there) topped of with the lyric about "I would have turned him to a tree".

:freak:

d=halfnote

Archived