Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

USB MIDI interface

Dana.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most audio interfaces these days include MIDI in/out. I have found most MIDI-only interfaces to be extremely buggy and unreliable, and worse still, most are now bus-powered only (i.e. no power cable), which usually means you can't use them in standalone mode.

If all you'll ever need is MIDI with a computer, the MOTU devices are probably the best currently offered. Several others were better but are either no longer made or were absorbed into other companies that have provided lackluster support for development.

Nevertheless, there are plenty of two-channel MIDI/audio USB interfaces that are quite good and quite cheap. And of course almost any multi-track audio interface will have MIDI in/out.

Eugenio Upright, 60th P-Bass, Geddy Lee J-Bass, Hofner HCT-500/7, Yamaha BBP35, Viking Bari

Select Strat, Select Tele, Am Pro JM, LP 57 Gold, G5422DC-12, T486, ES295, PM2, EXL1

XK1c, Voyager, Prophet XL

Midiman is one of the ones I was thinking of as having been very good at one point, but I thought it wasn't really being properly supported anymore? That's second-hand from forums, so may be off the mark.

If you want to go the used route, the Edirol interfaces from Roland are the most flexible and work in standalone mode as actual MIDI patchbays, each channel having dedicated hardware switches for muting/etc. I owned one for awhile, and as I recall it did have USB as well. Both half-rack and full-rack editions.

Eugenio Upright, 60th P-Bass, Geddy Lee J-Bass, Hofner HCT-500/7, Yamaha BBP35, Viking Bari

Select Strat, Select Tele, Am Pro JM, LP 57 Gold, G5422DC-12, T486, ES295, PM2, EXL1

XK1c, Voyager, Prophet XL

Archived