Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Roger Waters P-bass

5 string Mike

So it looks like Fender now has a Roger Waters P bass . It kind of surprises me that they would do that, as Roger isn't necessarily known for his bass playing as much as his writing- in fact it's well known that most of the more intricate bass parts on Floyd records were actually laid down by Gilmour.

It looks pretty cool with the black on black w/ black hardware (which, as we all know, makes it louder).

The price looks like it's in line with most of the other artist models, so that's a good thing.

I'm not much for artist models, but could see myself with one of those.

Now I'm waiting for the Guy Pratt model...

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When is Fender coming out with the Sid Vicious model?

Or how about the Paul Simonon model (sold in "as is" condition)?

At one point Fender came out with a Muddy Waters guitar, complete with autograph on the neck plate. That's interesting because Muddy, being illiterate, signed his name with an X.

When is Fender coming out with the Sid Vicious model?

I think Squier did the Sid Vicious/Dee Dee Ramone P-bass:

http://www.squierguitars.com/products/prod_images/basses/0326800505_md.jpg

I bought one. It's a nice bass, although it didn't come with a broken beer bottle or a tube of glue to huff. Lame.

In all seriousness, that Roger Waters bass looks nice. It's made with nice stuff. No reason it shouldn't be a good instrument. I don't think it needs to have Waters' name on it, though.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

I saw something about this on Facebook a few days ago. And despite having learned a lot from playing along with Pink Floyd tunes, I had to say "really?"

Roger Waters has said himself that he thinks of himself more as a musician/songwriter than as a bass player. This bass DOES resemble instruments that he's been playing live for the past 20 or so years. And he has been playing Fender Precisions almost exclusively since around 1970. But I've been far more impressed with Guy Pratt's take on the Floyd catalog as a player.

This is obviously about a name and money. Roger Waters is a name, and that name is going to draw in some players. And he seems to be wrapped up in the whole "farewell tour syndrome". He's touring "The Wall" and is probably trying to set himself up for retirement. So why not sign some signature instrument deal with Fender to add to the retirement fund?

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

I think it's fair to say that you are certainly correct, from "Dark Side of the Moon" onward...

... but I think Roger Waters was more of a bass player before that time, when Syd Barret was their guitarist, and had more input on the music. It was after Barret was committed to a hospital when Rogers began putting his bass on the "back burner", so to speak...

... just my opinion, from a guy who learned (electric) bass from Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, and Black Sabbath tracks...

It's my considered opinion that "signature models," from the SRV Strat to the Roger Waters P-Bass, are the musical equivalent of a Dukes of Hazzard or Hello Kitty lunchbox. It seems to me that no self-respecting musician would buy one simply because it bears the imprimatur of a musician that he or she admires; let alone pay a premium price for it. I bought an Epiphone "Joe Pass" jazz box some years ago, and the first thing I did was get some acetone and wipe the facsimile of Joe's signature off the pickguard. It was a perfectly nice guitar even without it. Oh, and I wouldn't have bought it if I hadn't gotten a deal on it.

...Or how about the Paul Simonon model (sold in "as is" condition)?...

My son knows of my love for the Clash and became fascinated with the bass that met it's untimely demise on the cover of London Calling.

http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/tt232/kenfxj/simononbass.jpghttp://farm1.static.flickr.com/168/388160536_70986f0e4b.jpg

He suggested we do a project, so we did. It's more of a poseur "tribute" than an actual copy, but Jimmy loves it. It needs one less bridge pickup, more aging and a good smash.

http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/tt232/kenfxj/cb04.jpg

Push the button Frank.

So it looks like Fender now has a Roger Waters P bass . It kind of surprises me that they would do that, as Roger isn't necessarily known for his bass playing as much as his writing- in fact it's well known that most of the more intricate bass parts on Floyd records were actually laid down by Gilmour.

It looks pretty cool with the black on black w/ black hardware (which, as we all know, makes it louder).

The price looks like it's in line with most of the other artist models, so that's a good thing.

I'm not much for artist models, but could see myself with one of those.

Now I'm waiting for the Guy Pratt model...

That seems like a lot of dough for what I've heard is essentially a slightly tricked-out MIM p-bass. But whatever floats your boat...

Push the button Frank.

Fender Standard P-bass, black w/ Maple fretboard- $549

Black pickguard- $30

SBP-3 pickup- $65

Black Fender style aftermarket bridge- $70 to $100

Black dome knobs from Stewmac- $10

So to add all that up. it's ~$730, give or take, without getting the vintage design neck, to make a clone with new parts. If the street price on the real deal model is ~$7-900, it's not too far out of line.

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

I present to you the Fender Jay Cadmus Custom Signature Jazz Bass.

http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww340/j_cadmus/Jbass2a.jpg

Three-bolt neck, bullet trussrod adjustment, maple body, bound rosewood fingerboard, chrome knobs, block inlays, custom brass nut, extra string tree, Leo Quan Badass II bridge.

They just made the one though...

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

What, Fender couldn't spec some black freakin' tuners?

Really? At that price point?

Really?

Peace,

wraub

+1 I would have liked to have seen a rosewood or ebony fingerboard too. The maple fingerboard looks too bright to me.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

Archived