Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

KORG SV-1 problem

JohnDoe

I have a SV-1/73, bought brand new 5 weeks ago, picked it up in a factory sealed box. I've used it at two rehearsels and two gigs, after that it's been in the padded KORG softcase in my flat.

Yesterday I took it to a new rehearsel and then about 12 keys, randomly spread over the keybed, were dead (no sound). After playing the dead keys with "machinegun" strokes, some of the keys came alive.

Today I just played away and after a while all the dead keys were back?!

I talked to the guys in the musicshop where I bought it, but they had'nt heard of this before.

Has any other SV-1 owner had this problem, or heard of it?

"This is my rig, and if you don´t like it....well, I have others!"

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same board here, Ive had mine a little longer than yours and no stuck keys here. I havent heard anything over on the Korg Forum, you might post over there ...

I keep mine in a hard case , not that it matters, but I notice once in a while one or two keys arent in their normal position when I open the case after a transport, the key returns to its normal resting position when I take it out of the case and play it.

I am not up on the Korg RH3 ..

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

Any voltage problems that you are aware of? I had a similar issue touring overseas with a Roland JX-8P when the power transformers weren't up to snuff. I'd slap a meter on the outlet and make sure you're getting what you're supposed to be getting.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Yes Had the samething happen at sound check last nite. I powered down again but it just seemed like all the keys wanted to be played a few times before they would come on. It's prob. caused by being at the wrong angle during transport. I do have a hard case for it. Could be it's a piece of crap and Murphy's law is involved!

You need to get it looked at while it's still in warranty and before it really screws you up on a gig. I wouldn't expect the symptoms you've been describing to be caused by the angle it's transported at. I frequently had mine on its end in the studio when not in use and had no problems.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Problem solved?!

Some days ago I got in contact with the keyboardtech at the Swedish Korg distributer. His answer to the dead keys problem was:

since the piano had been stored with the frontpanel facing down, some hammers had lost their right position/angel and that caused them not to function. He had experienced this at other occasions, with DP's with weighed hammeraction.

His solution:

turn the DP around, keys facing down, and give it some gentle shakes, then back to playing position and the keys will be OK.

Conclusion:

a DP with weighed hammeraction is ideally stored in playingposition?

"This is my rig, and if you don´t like it....well, I have others!"

So you were essentially storing it upside down? Why?

I've certainly stored keyboards on their ends for space-saving reasons but if you're going to have your Korg horizontal, why invert it?

What I can tell you is that while I had my SV-1, I only had the one stand in the studio, so depending on which piano I was using or preparing for gigs, my SV-1 spent a fair amount of time stored vertically, one end resting on a soft towel in the studio, or in its case, and I never had the problem you describe, nor indeed any problem.

I would be inclined to PM Jerry or Rich from Korg, who often post here (see the mega SV-1 thread), for a second opinion, if I were you.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Archived