Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Thanks for WD-40

Richard W

Ever since I bought my Fender Jazz a couple of years ago, the handle on the case has squeaked like a 25-year old car. It finally drove me nuts and I sprayed the handle hinges with WD-40. Voila! Now I could break into a bank carrying that case, it's so quiet.
"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Popular Mechanics had an article recently about testing other speciality lubricants against WD-40, noting that each worked incrementally better than WD-40 for each specific application.

My response was I may not always have any of those others, but I ALWAYS have a can of WD-40.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

WD-40 -- is there anything it can't do?
When I raced slot cars, WD-40 was the miraculous stuff that actually made the little things stick to the track like limpets when one rubbed rubbed it into the tyres - as long as they were porous foam tyres. The downside was that it made the track very slippery for those using conventional soft rubber tyres.

Epi EB-3

G-K Backline 600

2 x Eden EX112

It is also great for cleaning off stubborn stains off surfaces...

From WikPedia....

WD-40 is the trademark name of a widely-available water-displacing spray developed in 1953 by Norm Larsen, founder of the Rocket Chemical Company, San Diego, California. It was originally designed to repel water and prevent corrosion,[1] and later was found to have numerous household uses.

WD-40 stands for "Water Displacement - 40th Attempt". Larsen was attempting to concoct a formula to prevent corrosion, by displacing the standing water that causes it. In the process, he arrived at a successful formula on his 40th attempt.[1] WD-40 is primarily composed of various hydrocarbons.

www.danielprine.com

I will second the above.

Better than Gum-Off or the like.

(Not for use on clothing, pets, food, skin, or near open flames.

Reading this advisement voids warrantee.)

:D

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

It is also great for cleaning off stubborn stains off surfaces...

From WikPedia....

WD-40 is the trademark name of a widely-available water-displacing spray developed in 1953 by Norm Larsen, founder of the Rocket Chemical Company, San Diego, California. It was originally designed to repel water and prevent corrosion,[1] and later was found to have numerous household uses.

WD-40 stands for "Water Displacement - 40th Attempt". Larsen was attempting to concoct a formula to prevent corrosion, by displacing the standing water that causes it. In the process, he arrived at a successful formula on his 40th attempt.[1] WD-40 is primarily composed of various hydrocarbons.

Thank you for posting this information in an intelligent way. I wanted to share it but my post kept coming out with the wrong tone. Saying something like, "WD-40 isn't a lubricant you twits!" isn't quite right when we all know WD-40 is, in spite of the inventor's original purpose, a miracle lubricant.

- Matt W.

If you're a city dweller you can spray WD-40 on your windowsills to keep pigeons away. They hate the smell.

Good for birds in general, to keep them from building nests where you don't want them to.

If you have toddlers, WD-40 sprayed onto a paper towel works like magic for removing crayon from walls.

That's it for today's "Helpful Household Hints From kenfxj".

Push the button Frank.

Spraying your wife's credit cards with WD-40 will render the magnetic stripe useless, saving you enough money to buy a new bass.

Rocky

That's ingenious.

Diabolical, but ingenious nevertheless.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

I'll have a beer and one for my friend.

The bartender says sorry we don't serve.....

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

Archived