Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha CP1/CP5 Rhodes Presets

burningbusch

Greetings,

Below find two files related to the Rhodes presets I posted a while back.

If you have a CP-1 all you need to do is download the EXTBANKC1E.ZIP file, decompress it and copy it to a USB Flash Drive. Once the Flash Drive is inserted into your CP-1, the presets will be available in the external bank. NOTE: there might be a few garbage presets in the bank, just deal with the EP sounds.

CP-1 EXTBANK FILE

For those of you with the CP-5 I created a PDF which details the presets from the CP-1. You will need to manual recreate these on your CP-5 and save them as new presets. I have not tested these on a CP-5 but assume they are going to sound very close if not identical to the CP-1. If you see a check in the far left column that means the corresponding BLOCK should be active/on.

CP-5 RHODES SETTINGS

Some observations: IMO, you gain clarity with the CP Rhodes when you do not use the POWER AMPS but instead use the COMPRESSOR or CLEAN settings. Most of the Yamaha presets use the POWER AMPS; most of mine use the COMP/CLEAN.

Another very important area for tweaking is in COMMON. As you page through COMMON, you will find VELDEPTH and OFFSET (for each voice). These allow you to change how the pianos respond to your touch but they can also affect tone in a big way. I generally keep VELDEPTH at 64 which, as I understand it, gives you a linear response. But changing the OFFSET, even small amounts can have a big impact on tone. Values greater than 64 shifts the piano to respond with more of the higher velocity samples creating a brighter/clearer sound while values less than 64 do the opposite. Because the CP-1 pianos are linear and have really no jumpiness, this is a very effective way to put the piano in the general tone range you want, WITHOUT TOUCHING EQ. I recommend, if you do any tweaking of the CP sounds, go first to this area.

Also, if someone with a CP-5 wants to enter all the presets and save them to a file, you could send that to me and I'll make sure it gets posted.

Busch.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another very important area for tweaking is in COMMON. As you page through COMMON, you will find VELDEPTH and OFFSET (for each voice). These allow you to change how the pianos respond to your touch but they can also affect tone in a big way. I generally keep VELDEPTH at 64 which, as I understand it, gives you a linear response. But changing the OFFSET, even small amounts can have a big impact on tone. Values greater than 64 shifts the piano to respond with more of the higher velocity samples creating a brighter/clearer sound while values less than 64 do the opposite. Because the CP-1 pianos are linear and have really no jumpiness, this is a very effective way to put the piano in the general tone range you want, WITHOUT TOUCHING EQ. I recommend, if you do any tweaking of the CP sounds, go first to this area.

Busch, on the CP-5 our Common page does not have the VELDEPTH & OFFSET. We access that by holding down "voice".

I have experimented with those settings and find that bumping the OFFSET up to around 68 does change the tone for the good but also can make certain notes while soloing in the high register jump out. It's hard to predict how or when it will happen in the course of a solo but I've noticed it. Maybe the CP-1 Grand is different.

2005 NY Steinway D

Yamaha CP-5

Nord Piano

Want to tell us about this, Dave? :D

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Thanks!

I tried the CP-5 the other day, and it sounded great.

BUT I thought the Grandpianopatch no 1 (the one I liked the most regarding timbre) was pretty "dead". Nothing happened when I really dug into the keys. Very unrealistic IMO.

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Archived