Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Time magazine's 10 Greatest Electric-Guitar Players list...

rwgtr

I like lists and compilations, comparisons can be fun and enlightening, but this Time list absolutely comes off as a half-assed attempt imo. And when you consider that TIME magazine carries a lot of influence to the general public...ugh. If the compiler was truly a guitar afficinado it could have been a neat way to expose the masses to a underground talent or at least someone that deserves wider recognition, or some forgotten trailblazer like Scotty Moore, or even Link Wray or Duane Eddy. I used to like the lists in the now defunct Guitar One mag, they provoked some thought, and poked a little fun.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If that Time magazine Top Ten list monkeybot committee had wanted an influential guitarist to represent funk/r&b stylings, Hazel (and Curtis Mayfield, and Jimmy Nolen, and the numerous guitarists in the Funk Brothers Motown "house band"...) would have served far better as an entry than Prince.

(NOT, NOT, NOT a matter of "race"!)

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

list of magazines I read anymore,

1 ...

2 ...

I just don't , I mean I get guitar player every few months, and I get hot rod once in while(when I cant get car craft). But no magazine is worth it to me anymore.

Lok

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,

• 2 weeks later...

Well, there are music critics who actually know what they are talking about - such as GP editors, at least about the guitar!

Not that I always agree with them....

I have bought albums on their recommendation that I didn't find all that great, but I have learned about some of my favorite players through the pages of GP, so it more than balances out.

Some of the music critics in the NY Times seem to be pretty knowledgeable in their fields.

Time Magazine? Why would you expect musical expertise from THEM? It's like asking guitar players about brain surgery or rocket science!

{SPOKEN AS I HURRIEDLY SNEAK OUT THE BACK DOOR! - LOL}

Why would you expect musical expertise from THEM? It's like asking guitar players about brain surgery or rocket science!

You would think that a national magazine that has been around for decades would have some professional pride. It used to be that if you didn't know about the topic, you would hire someone who did or leave it alone.

Why would you expect musical expertise from THEM? It's like asking guitar players about brain surgery or rocket science!

You would think that a national magazine that has been around for decades would have some professional pride. It used to be that if you didn't know about the topic, you would hire someone who did or leave it alone.

It makes me wonder about the kind of talents and thought they put into their other subjects and cover stories about health, national and international politics, sports, etc...Time is, or at least was, known for sounding the alarm and setting the agenda for discussions. Have they always been totally full of BS? Or agressively mediocre?

It makes me wonder about the kind of talents and thought they put into their other subjects and cover stories about health, national and international politics, sports, etc...Time is, or at least was, known for sounding the alarm and setting the agenda for discussions. Have they always been totally full of BS? Or agressively mediocre?

I think it's the magazine (& by extension, newspapers) business in general. Outside of New Yorker, I know of no magazine that isn't a mere shadow of its former self. Have you seen how small Mix, EQ, Electronic Musician & others have become? They're all hurting, & Time is hurting as well. Doesn't really surprise me that they may have let their standards slip. They're no longer the primary authorities on world events.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

Johnny Ramone, one of the top ten electric guitar players?

He played better than is generally recognized but b/c of the nature of the Ramones musical focus his work will always seem kinda dumb...still "most influential" players would be a better categorization.

d=halfnote

I think it's the magazine (& by extension, newspapers) business in general. Outside of New Yorker, I know of no magazine that isn't a mere shadow of its former self. Have you seen how small Mix, EQ, Electronic Musician & others have become? They're all hurting, & Time is hurting as well. Doesn't really surprise me that they may have let their standards slip. They're no longer the primary authorities on world events.

Scott Fraser

Absolutley! The old media has lost a lot of ground. And local newspapers are probably ending up with the worst part of the deal.

Johnny Ramone, one of the top ten electric guitar players?

He played better than is generally recognized but b/c of the nature of the Ramones musical focus his work will always seem kinda dumb...still "most influential" players would be a better categorization.

Meh. I can think of countless guitarists that are more deserving of being in the top 10. I don't think Johnny Ramone would even be in my top 100 "most influential."

The Ramones had their moments and it was more about attitude and fashion than music, imo.

This list compiler's taste and frame of reference seems pretty dodgy for a major league publication.

well a lot of the guys are saying that, not that such lists are retarded, but the order of the lists are (which is a completely different argument). The guys at the top are wondering why "X" and "Y" guitarists didnt make the list and why some underground "Z" guitarist couldnt be spotlighted and what not. It's futile to argue with someone else about the caliber of musicians because there's waaaay too many unmeasurable factors involved between the thousands of professional level musicians. Sure, on an unquantifiable, inner-judgment level, you can sorta scope out "tiers" of musicians according to their strengths, but even that can be sorta skewed.

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

Well, he's not on any list I'm keeping but he's a massively influential player in the "punk" landscape.

RW, we gotta remember that's it's a big world out there...

Well, d, I know it's a great big world and all. And punk rock is still a part of it. The Ramones arguably were amongst the first to take the diy ethic of the punk ethos out of the seedy clubs and onto a larger scale. I know this. They're influential, and it is arguable as to whether that is a good thing, I suppose. I am not a fan, but apparently there is at least one Ramones fan at Time.

If I had to pick a punk guitarist to fit in a "top 10 electric guitarists" list to fit some "stylistic quota" instead of merit I would have placed Joe Strummer and/or Mick Jones of the Clash or East Bay Ray.

well a lot of the guys are saying that, not that such lists are retarded, but the order of the lists are (which is a completely different argument). The guys at the top are wondering why "X" and "Y" guitarists didnt make the list and why some underground "Z" guitarist couldnt be spotlighted and what not. It's futile to argue with someone else about the caliber of musicians because there's waaaay too many unmeasurable factors involved between the thousands of professional level musicians. Sure, on an unquantifiable, inner-judgment level, you can sorta scope out "tiers" of musicians according to their strengths, but even that can be sorta skewed.

It's just a matter of opinion. That's all.

Sublime poetry like this might be a good way to euthanize the thread......

Time Magazine's list is a rediculous sham,

everyone on this forum treats it like spam,

the guy who wrote it ain't worth a damn,

and now his face is covered with green eggs and ham!

There ya go Eric. That should put this thread on a death-watch!!!

hahahahahaha

SEHpicker

SEHpicker

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

Archived