Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Time magazine's 10 Greatest Electric-Guitar Players list...

rwgtr

http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1916544,00.html

I don't know if this has been posted before but I just ran across it, a Time magazine music critic thought it necessary to put together a list of 10 or so "greatest electric-guitar players".

A little skewed toward blues/rock and with the exception of Les Paul, no jazz or country! A pretty lame frame of reference for a "greatest" list. About half of theme would be in my top 50! Here is the list with a little of my opinion:

01. Jimi Hendrix--natch!

02. Slash--probably in my top 50

03. B.B. King--natch!

04. Keith Richards--maybe in my top 30, but probably not

05. Eric Clapton--natch!

06. Jimmy Page--probably in my top 5!

07. Chuck Berry--The godfather of all things cool about rock guitar, a little before my time, but definitely in my top 20.

08. Les Paul--pure genius

09. Yngwie Malmsteen--too one dimensional, maybe in my top 40, though.

10. Prince--a brilliant musician and as a guitarist probably in my top 30

11. Johnny Ramone--nope probably not in my top 150!

I am amazed that a major league music critic didn't include Wes Montgomery, Chet Atkins, Jeff Beck, Joe Pass, EVH, George Benson, Allan Holdsworth etc....

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The guy's obviously not knowledgable on the subject. I'm not really into lists like this but I'd say Jimi, B.B., Eric, Jimmy and Les are good choices. Yngwie isn't quite there. The rest? Not even close.
"Let me stand next to your fire!", Jimi Hendrix

Slash??? Second Greatest Electric Guitar Player ????

PALEEEZ!

Not even top 50.

Whoever did this list cannot possibly be a guitar player. Yeah right - Beck and Gilmore didn't even make the list - HA!@&*%#

SEHpicker

SEHpicker

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

It never ceases to amaze me how people who do not play guitar seem to have a definitive influence here and they continuously reinforce the same preferences over and over again.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=810593

http://www.myspace.com/dandelavega

An idiotic list formed by committee. Pure garbage.

Prince doesn't belong on there, and really, neither does Johnny Ramone or Slash. There are things I like from all three, but they're only on this list as concessions to various genres and TARGETED MARKETS, not because of having any important influence in the course and development of electric guitar in 20th Century music.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Umm, John McLaughlin invented fusion AND world music (not his fault what the lesser lights DID to 'em), Chet Atkins INVENTED something, EVH was at a peak for a while.... SLASH? TWO songs, ONE album, baby... not hardly.

By the inclusion of Slash and Yngwie, you can really place this guy's age, or at least the point at which he began listening to his anti-mom & dad rebellion soundtrack.

"I was not ever interested in the music of boys. From my youngest years, I was interested in the music of men." - Eric Clapton

I have no comment...other than recently (last decade ?) Rolling Stone mag had one of the worst similar lists.

That's a rock rag.

I can't imagine what would lead one to check on Time Magazine's list.

I wouldn't even really check GUITAR PLAYER's list !!!!

Music is so personal....

Let's face it , folks, we all would have a diff list...so I ask: What would even be the point ?

d=halfnote

lists generally suck...unless you super qualify them:

"Top 10 electric guitar players who are super-funky yet can still rock out some epic solos"

Okay Prince, you ARE on this one.

"Top 10 electric guitar players who played with MJ but didn't tap or use a floyd"

Slash, you d man.

"Top 10 electric guitar players who are kinda messy but really cool"

Keith tops it every year.

Any other more 'useful' lists we can create?

Guitar Speak Podcast

www.guitarspeakpodcast.libsyn.com

https://www.facebook.com/guitarspeakpodcast

www.itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/guitar-speak-podcast

Where's Nigel Tufnel?

Our list goes to eleven.

Hahh!! :D:rawk:

lists generally suck...unless you super qualify them:

"Top 10 electric guitar players who are super-funky yet can still rock out some epic solos"

Okay Prince, you ARE on this one.

You are still too kind; he fits the description save for being in the Top Ten of such players. Nothing against him, but man, there are plenty more in line ahead of him in influence, importance, skill and talent as guitarists.

"Top 10 electric guitar players who played with MJ but didn't tap or use a floyd"

Slash, you d man.

Have there been ten? Have there been five?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

"The Top 10 Electric Guitar Players that can hit a single note and racks of amps & processors light up like the 4th of July and could probably power a city block or third world country"

A four way tie between The Edge, Steve Vai, Steve Lukather and John Petrucci

All Time Magazine needs to do now is come up with a top 10 bass player list that puts Gene Simmons and Pete Wentz ahead of John Paul Jones and Geddy Lee...

Or ahead of Jaco Pastorious and Stanley Clark and Ralph Armstrong!

Y'all are right. Lists like this are dumb. We can ALL make a list on our own that will differ slightly from the others, and differ GREATLY from Times'.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Archived