Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone know good music software?

Technokitsune

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Need more info to make a meaningful recommendation:

1) what do you want to do with it? MIDI sequence? record multitrack audio? Live rig replacement with soft synths? music notation? Sound source for recording?

2) what's your budget?

3) what platform (pc/mac/linux/fortran)?

Need more info to make a meaningful recommendation:

1) what do you want to do with it? MIDI sequence? record multitrack audio? Live rig replacement with soft synths? music notation? Sound source for recording?

2) what's your budget?

3) what platform (pc/mac/linux/fortran)?

Mac, i want to create some techno music. My budget is something like every week my mom gives me a allowance of 60 dollars,so it's hard.

If you're in school, you can purchase either Logic or Logic Express on a deep academic discount. Logic Studio is normally a $500 retail program - through a participating college bookstore you can purchase it for $149.

Probably the best bargain in music software I know of. Hope that helps.

you can make good stuff in garage band... I made this in the past 2 days using only garage band and my keyboard, and I've never used it before. Don't feel the need to spend a lot of money on something, if you can't make good music on garage band, you probably won't be able to do any better with a several hundred dollar program.

http://www.archive.org/details/PoopTrack&reCache=1

you can make good stuff in garage band... I made this in the past 2 days using only garage band and my keyboard, and I've never used it before. Don't feel the need to spend a lot of money on something, if you can't make good music on garage band, you probably won't be able to do any better with a several hundred dollar program.

http://www.archive.org/details/PoopTrack&reCache=1

Well this is a song i made on garageband.

http://www.furaffinity.net/view/4443807/

Can't seem to figure out how to upload the Wav file to myspace.

So it seems we're talking about good Mac music software that's not expensive. Okay then:

Any version of Logic is a bargain because it's a mature, deep program that comes with a lot of great software instruments. You could definitely make some killer techno music on it.

That said, Reaper is coming on strong; and its license will cost you all of $40. That makes it worth a try, if you're undecided.

Good luck, RockNRollKitsune.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

In the state of Maine, all high school students get "free" Macbooks, as well as the teachers. We used to include Finale on the statewide disk image, but something happened with the licensing this year.

Instead, they have given us "Muse" , which is free, and open source, and good (I believe) for Mac and PC. It is notation software. If you just want to make loops and stuff, Garage Band is a very powerful program which I use with my high school students. The Muse program I use with my HS theory class.

http://musescore.org/

Don't say I never gave you nothin'.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

That said, Reaper is coming on strong; and its license will cost you all of $40. That makes it worth a try, if you're undecided.

Good luck, RockNRollKitsune.

Best,

Geoff

Reaper for Mac is in beta stadium,- but in progress.

Expect it will not work flawless and has a learing curve especially if you come from another DAW.

On PC, I´m a friend of Reaper and since yesterday, I started using it as a live host for VST/VSTi and Reason together (16 MIDI channel rewire mode w/ stereo out), Reaper and Reason virtually connected to Scope DSP software synths and FX.

It´s amazing w/ Reaper´s routing capabilities.

I´ll buy it w/ version 4(actually it´s v 3.7).

I get very low latency w/ VSTi and Reason together in realtime, it´s very stable and has small footprint on the machine.

One of Reaper´s advantages is it´s size,- it run´s from a USB stick together w/ all your plugins, tracks and samples and works great w/ slower/older sigle processor machines and also great w/ multi processor machines.Ideal for traveling.

A.C.

My budget is something like every week my mom gives me a allowance of 60 dollars,so it's hard.

Is your mom by chance a Rockerfeller, Vanderbilt or a Kennedy? :laugh: Wow, 60 bucks is huge, you're richer than half the gigging musicians in this forum! :laugh: I got 5 bucks a week, which was enough for a movie and maybe a soda. And I walked uphill in the snow to school, dag nabit!

OK, Reason, Ableton, Reaper, all good. I don't know if Ableton works on Mac, but they have an LE version that they give away with purchases like soundcards and other stuff. Good luck, and...

YOU KIDS STAY OFF MY LAWN! :mad:

".....when I was your age, I had to pay $10 a week to get my $2 allowance, and composed all my techno on punched card decks.

We didn't have techno when I was growing up...

:(

Sure you did. Kraftswerk album played at 45 instead of 33. For DnB turn the knob on the record player to 78 and put the speakers in the closet.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

My budget is something like every week my mom gives me a allowance of 60 dollars,so it's hard.

$60 a week is "something like" $240 a month. In 9 weeks you could buy the full retail version of Logic. In another 9 weeks you could buy a bad-ass Novation Remote SL 61-note keyboard controller.

What's so hard about that?

Are you really looking for a program to make techno or one to make techno for you?

Mine was increased 5 cents a year, so was up to around 75 cents a week by the time I finished high school, but I was pulling in other income (yard work, babysitting, the usual stuff), by then. Not sure how that would adjust for inflation, but fortunately we didn't have computers and software to worry about back then. :-)

I agree that a little bit of patience pays off, regardless of age or budget. That might be the first important lesson in creating music. :-)

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Archived