Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I want a Fender Jaguar. Advice is appreciated.

xanda-panda

Hi again. I'm after a Fender Jaguar and the 62 re-issue sounds good to me but i'd appreciate advice. Is there much difference between the 62 re-issue and other models?

Also, I'm sure this has been mentioned previously but i've scanned the forum and can't find it anywhere... what's the difference between MIJ, CIJ and American ones?

Also, would you advise any upgrades to these models such as pickup changes or do they have good stock hardware?

All advice is appreciated!

Thanks very much.

Your humble yet persistent pesterer,

Alex.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reissue runs about $1,300 new and $950 used if made in the USA and are real reproductions of the orginal...the cheaper reissue models can be had for about half the price...If you find an original in the same shape as a new reissue it will cost some big bucks...The cheaper knockoff models have hot rod versions (which can be fun) but they will not capture the origianl sound of the Jag the way the US models do...

Some players have complained about the original bridge design as strings slip out of the threads on the string guides when played hard...the after market replacement bridge has roller Mustang style string grooves that solve the problem and can be exchanged easily and put back to stock for re-sale purposes...

Be careful to keep palm pressure on the strings when removing the whammy bar as the upward movement of the whammy design can cause breakage of the 1st and 2nd strings...

I have a reissue Jag and matching Jazzmaster and both sound and look like new...great for old surf and Vintage R&R sounds...

Take care, Larryz

If you've played one and you like it, that's what counts the most here.

A good set-up tailored to YOUR playing goes a long, LOOONG ways to getting the most out of one, before worrying about any upgrades or pickup swapping.

A friend of mine has a gorgeous US made '62 RI Jag in Candy Apple Red with matching headstock and gold hardware; it sounds and plays exceptionally well.

The Mastery Bridge for Jaguars looks to probably be a good upgrade, especially if you intend to use the whammy-bar much. But obviously a lot of Jaguar and Jazzmaster players have gotten by with the stock vibrato-bridge.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Hi again, thanks everyone.

Larryz: what are "hot rod versions"?

d: I love the sound and the look. everything really. I love how it seems really versatile and is supposed to be very comfortable too. i'm basically going off videos i've seen of them and memories of what i've heard them sound like when i've seen bands play them.

i can't seem to find any at a reasonable price. ideally i'd like an original but they seem SO expensive. I'd rather save up and get an american re-issue rather than the MIJ/CIJ reissues if it's worth the difference...?

Obviously i wouldn't buy one without properly playing it first though.

...any more tips anyone?

Here's a tip:

Buy a Telecaster or Stratocaster instead.

Jaguars look cool but they have a lot of "limitations". The reason so many underground and "alternative" bands used them in the 80s and early 90s is that they could be found dirt cheap because no one wanted them.

If you are going to be playing simple rhythm stuff, a Jag will work fine. For any complicated lead or chord melody work, I would go with a guitar with a longer scale-length, better intonation and better tuning stability.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

I've gotta agree with Gabriel here, really, overall...

Here's a tip:

Buy a Telecaster or Stratocaster instead.

Jaguars look cool but they have a lot of "limitations". The reason so many underground and "alternative" bands used them in the 80s and early 90s is that they could be found dirt cheap because no one wanted them.

If you are going to be playing simple rhythm stuff, a Jag will work fine. For any complicated lead or chord melody work, I would go with a guitar with a longer scale-length, better intonation and better tuning stability.

Thanks for your advice. I REALLY like the tone of these guitars though. That's the main reason I want one.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "limitations"?

I've played teles and strats and love both but i'm after a different sound from a strat (though i do particularly like the tele sound) and want to try a different style of neck from both. Hence my decision to try a jag.

i might still go back to a tele as i loved it's sound but i'm intruiged by the jag; what it's like to play and the whole range of sounds you can get.

Larryz: what are "hot rod versions"?

i can't seem to find any at a reasonable price. ideally i'd like an original but they seem SO expensive. I'd rather save up and get an american re-issue rather than the MIJ/CIJ reissues if it's worth the difference...?

Haven't seen the hot rod version of the Jag made in the US and it's most likely MIM...but it has dual Humbuckers with coil splitting...same electronics as stock, with a different bridge called the Classic Player Jaguar Special HH and runs about $899 on MF #518749...they do have two Hot Rodded Jazzmasters most likely made in USA one with different Humbuckers and a Mustang bridge, they run about $1,499 #620809...

both the Jag and the Jazz have the same body (a little heavy) and the necks have the same feel and material but as others have stated the Jag has a shorter scale neck and was made by Fender to increase speed...I like the switching better on the Jag and the shorter neck scale as well...

If you've got big bucks and want to see some real hot rods, check out the new issue of GP December 2010 page 143...you've got the Jag/Jazz body, with Tele maple necks, orig Tele bridge up to 3 single coils and/or a short Tele bridge with what looks like two P90's...all made at the Custom Shop with new or Road Worn concepts...reversed plate for tone, Pup selection and volume controls, These may be in Elvis Costello's price range but it would be cool to take a look and see the prices when they hit the store shelves...

Take care, Larryz

you mean by "limitations"?

-Jaguars don't stay in tune that well.

-The vibrato system is lousy and doesn't return to pitch well after use.

-The strings are known for popping out of the saddles.

-The intonation leaves a lot to be desired.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

I've had two Jaguars, an original '66 and a 90's CIJ model. They are not very comfortable (usually very heavy) and not very versatile at all. They have no sustain to speak of and only a few limited tones.

If I were to advise you to get one, which I don't, I would suggest you save up and get the American re-issue, which is close as you can get to the vintage models. There are Mexican versions as well but I haven't tried those. The MIJ and CIJ Jaguars are junk. Sorry, but it has to be said.

If you want the same look with far more versatility and better sound, I strongly suggest the Jazzmaster, which is an all around better guitar. I have a 1959 Jazzmaster and it's one of the best guitars I've ever played. I played the American reissue of the Jazzmaster and it was impressive, not quite the quality of mine but close enough!

d: I love the sound and the look. everything really. I love how it seems really versatile and is supposed to be very comfortable too. i'm basically going off videos i've seen of them and memories of what i've heard them sound like when i've seen bands play them.

I've never had any problems with the Jazzmaster/Jaguar trems and tuning, or with keeping the guitars in tune.

The last two things you mentioned can be addressed with a Mastery Bridge, which they should just start putting as standard equipment on the things.

D'oh! I just realized that I had mistakenly posted above here that a friend had a Jag and loved it;

it was, in fact, a Fender Jazzmaster Reissue, Candy Apple Red with gold hardware.

Sorry for any confusion!

I've never had any problems with the Jazzmaster/Jaguar trems and tuning, or with keeping the guitars in tune.

The last two things you mentioned can be addressed with a Mastery Bridge, which they should just start putting as standard equipment on the things.

+ 1 never a problem with tuning, intonation, strings popping on the Jag or the Jazzmaster as both have the same adjustable bridges, necks (except for length), frets, fretboards, nuts, whammys,tuners,bodies, finish, paint, etc...some guys play hard and Fender has responded with Mustang and other designs to overcome their bridge string popping complaints...If you want to hear some of the cleanest and best Fender Jag/Jazz sounds (in tune)check out The Ventures Walk Don't Run Volume I or some early Beach Boys...

Take care, Larryz

Archived