Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

JBL Eon G2: Good for multiple keyboard rigs?

Nu2Keys

Hey, sorry if this is a tired subject but I did a search and couldn't find anything. Does anyone use a JBL Eon G2 or similiar to run multiple keyboards through live on stage? How is that working? Any info you can give me will be appreciated. Thanks!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It works great! Loud, clear, durable, and versatile. I used one (a 15") for years until I upgraded to a QSC K10.

The main drawbacks of the Eon, IMO, are the sometimes piercing high-end that made it difficult to get piano sounds right, and the awkward shape that make it difficult to pack efficiently.

Never mind my complaints, I still think it's hard to do better than an Eon G2 for keys.

I used a G2 15 from about the moment it hit the market. Pros - connectivity, powerful/loud, EQ. Cons - very sensitive to the quality of AC, big and heavy by today's standards (believe it or not), and not as transparent as other options.

I recently switched to a QSC K10. Wouldn't go back if you paid me. I'll use the G2 when I need to really throw some Moog bass. Other than that, I have no further use for the thing.

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I run a Yamaha P80 piano and a Korg CX3 thru my G2 15" with no problems. Plenty of power but as mentioned above the music tends to get a bit shrill on the top end but you can use the EQ on the speaker and your keyboards to mellow it out. If you do get a G2 15 be sure to get the carry bag with wheels....makes it much easier to load in/out.

I have a pair of Eon 15G2 - they worked fine, not as clean sounding as my pair of QSC K10's, and considerably more weight. I'm using them now for my church gig (I can leave them there and not have to move them). Also have a pair of EON 10G2, I've had some problems with them heating up if pushed and the automatic gain reduction comes on strong. They now are in the living room on the family keyboard.

The EONs are still good speakers if you come across them at the right price. If you have to pay full price, may as well go for EV SXA or QSC K series.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Thanks for the replies. So, do I take it that the QSC and EV options don't have the high end problem of the JBL? My local audio store sells EV and I can probably get my best deal from them. If all other things were equal, which would be the best, the JBL, QSC, or EV? Thanks again!

Thanks for the replies. So, do I take it that the QSC and EV options don't have the high end problem of the JBL? My local audio store sells EV and I can probably get my best deal from them. If all other things were equal, which would be the best, the JBL, QSC, or EV? Thanks again!
I haven't heard the EV, but the QSC K10 is MUCH smoother, clearer, and more transparent than the G2. I would assume from the feedback I've read on this forum that the EVs are similar in that regard. Drag your keyboard down to the store and have them hook you into the EV. If they want to make a sale, they'll be more than happy to accommodate you.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I own a pair of K10's and a pair of EV SXA 100+. I like both of them for keyboard use. The EV are currently set up in my studio for monitoring - they are overkill for that, but they are paid for and work for it. 12" speakers really seem to do well for keyboard to me.

I chose the K10's instead of buying K12's because of size and weight - use them for gigging. You won't go wrong with either.

The K series have two inputs, one of which can be switched from mic to line, the other is line - so you can mix two boards easily. The EV have two inputs, but one is mic, the other is line. Note that there is a new EV Z series - I haven't seen them, but they are getting good review here.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Archived