Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jazz trio on Mad Men

bgregg

Just wondering if anyone knew: On Mad Men last night (9/26), in the scene where Don, Layne, and Layne's father are in the Playboy Club, there was a piano trio playing in the background playing a very hip tune. Didn't recognize the tune or the pianist offhand, but it reminded me of some of Brad Mehldau's more angular stuff, in a very mid-60's sort of way. Anybody recognize it or know who did it for the show?
Steinway L, 1958 Hammond B3, Kurzweil Forte, Prophet-6, Minimoog Voyager, Kawai VPC-1,Oberheim SEM-Pro, Doepfer Dark Energy, Nord Rack

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Probably just a library cue. I've noticed that the background lounge music varies widely in that show from great to not so great. Music supervisors who don't know any better strike again. I was watching an episode from season 1 the other day and there was an atrociously bad lounge cue with a bad piano sample. And yet other times the music's totally happening. That's the way it goes.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Hope it's not just a library cue--that's the kind of stuff I'd like to get more of into my own playing!
Steinway L, 1958 Hammond B3, Kurzweil Forte, Prophet-6, Minimoog Voyager, Kawai VPC-1,Oberheim SEM-Pro, Doepfer Dark Energy, Nord Rack

Funny you should mention this. I got totally distracted from what was going on plot-wise because I was trying to decide if what they were playing harmonically was anachronistic to the time period of 1965!

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

Chick singer, drummer, and 3 guys playing Fender Jazz basses

Hey - as a bassist, I could get into that group. I do think a little more variety in bass types would be good.

After all, it COULD have 3 guys playing banjo, or accordion, or bagpipes.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

FWIW, I PVR that show, so was able to play it back and use Shazam (music identifier app on the iPhone)... repeated attempts came back as unknown, so I'd suspect it's a library cue as Bobadohshe suggests.

That's a GREAT idea--I have Shazam but it would never have occurred to me to use it. Thanks for trying.

Just got around to watching this past Sunday's episode.

It sounded a little hip to be a library cue, and they clearly wanted to feature that music in my opinion. It was front and center for a good amount of time before fading to the background. On top of that, the Shazam app has a growing, but still limited database. In my experience it has failed to recognize commercially released tunes, and if that tune was a relatively obscure jazz release from the 70s, for instance, I could easily see it falling through the cracks.

Anyway, it seemed perhaps a bit "modern" for the time period of the show, but not terribly so. I heard some McCoy Tyner/Chick Corea kind of stuff going on, and they were certainly starting to play stuff along those lines in the late 60s (The Real McCoy in 67, Now He Sings Now He Sobs in 68). I think Mad Men is supposed to be the early 60s, so it's maybe pushing it slightly stylistically but pretty close.

Anyway, it seemed perhaps a bit "modern" for the time period of the show, but not terribly so. I heard some McCoy Tyner/Chick Corea kind of stuff going on, and they were certainly starting to play stuff along those lines in the late 60s (The Real McCoy in 67, Now He Sings Now He Sobs in 68). I think Mad Men is supposed to be the early 60s, so it's maybe pushing it slightly stylistically but pretty close.

MM is currently in 1965. Some jazz albums that year: http://www.scaruffi.com/jazz/60.html#1965

• 2 weeks later...

The producers of the show are religiously meticulous when it comes to recreating the period -- vintage clothes, furniture, cars, and even little things like wall decorations and such. If they can't source something, or all they can find is aged, they find a way to reproduce it to the smallest detail.

I trust that the music heard on that episode (which, given the timeline of the series, should be about 1965-66) is period accurate. And I'd also like to know what recording it came from, or who was playing (if played live, which I doubt). I, too, had to rewind a few minutes to hear the conversation since I was focused on the music.

OK, I'm lying ... the bunny costumes distracted me at first, then the music, then I wet back to listen to the conversation the third time. :D

You have to assume the episode takes place the week ending August 15, 1965. Early on, Don tells Betty he needs Sally for Sunday as he's taking her to the Beatles concert at Shea Stadium (August 15, 1965).

I thought the music was a quite aggressive for the time. I would have thought more of a Bill Evans style piano trio would have been the rage.

Busch.

Archived