Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dukes of September Rhythm Revue-Jon Herrington

rwgtr

I recently had the privilege of seeing a Dukes of September Rhythm Revue concert and I've got to say that John Herrington really is an incredible player. The band is Donald Fagen of Steely Dan, Michael McDonald of the Doobie Brothers, Boz Scaggs and a bunch of first rate players on their respective instruments. Must have been around 11-12 total on stage. Highlights were many, but Herrington really took the spotlight on "Reelin' in the Years." And kicked up a notch or two on any song. It looked like he played a Gibson goldtop LP, a 335 type and a tele with Guytron amps. He also plays in the current touring version of Steely Dan.

It wasn't just a greatest hits fest, either. Fagen played emcee introducing each song when it was needed, definitely some of the more obscure covers of Chuck Berry, Grateful Dead, and The Band that I have heard, but they pulled them off well and the self penned songs they did play like "Reelin'", "IGY", "What a Fool Believes" and "Lowdown" got rave responses. Good times.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I saw him with the Dan on the `Two against Nature` tour and I have another performance of it on tape from the public television broadcast. He was playing that yellow 335 in both cases. He has also been here with a quartet of top players but I can`t recall the other members offhand. Excellent player, I like how he makes the solos on classic SD songs his own but still recalls the originals-not easy considering the range he has to cover.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

I saw him with the Dan on the `Two against Nature` tour and I have another performance of it on tape from the public television broadcast. He was playing that yellow 335 in both cases. He has also been here with a quartet of top players but I can`t recall the other members offhand. Excellent player, I like how he makes the solos on classic SD songs his own but still recalls the originals-not easy considering the range he has to cover.

Absolutely! He leaves his own stamp on the solos and enhances them all the while, no small task!

He played a brown sunburst 335 and the DoSRR show that I attended last week. He has a pretty extensive gear list at his website http://www.jonherington.com/

Archived