Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I have an idea...

Ross Brown

I am going to build a bass that includes volume knobs for all of the other instruments in the band. When someone in the band gets a little carried away with their volume, the bass player makes a correction....

(could be applied to other instruments or perhaps a control panel for the vocalist right on the mic stand.... but really probably best placed on the bass....)

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Or, ya know... have everyone in the band play at brain-damagingly loud levels all the time. That's our strategy. We never argue or complain.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Or, ya know... have everyone in the band play at brain-damagingly loud levels all the time. That's our strategy. We never argue or complain.

We seem to be going in that direction, especially right after the venue asks us to "turn down"... apparently that is code for "turn up"... ain't it funny....

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Well, Ross, I'm sure when your posts on the Baltimore Craigslist pay off, you'll get a nice, Peabody-educated guitarist who knows how to turn down. And smile while doing it. We are Charm City, after all. You know, The City That Breeds Reads. That includes the numbers below 10 on the volume knob.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Well, Ross, I'm sure when your posts on the Baltimore Craigslist pay off, you'll get a nice, Peabody-educated guitarist who knows how to turn down. And smile while doing it. We are Charm City, after all. You know, The City That Breeds Reads.

I'm counting on Baltimore.... we got nothin here....

So far the usual ego laced replies from the CL ad.

Although I don't have volume controls for the rest of the band mounted on my bass, I have the next best thing: The mixer is always within easy reach to my right. But I also have the advantage of being the only person in the band with a stage amp.
Good one!

I noticed we did better on an outdoor stage when I put everyone through the PA, both mains and monitors. It was probably the first time the guitars had a speaker pointed at their ears. :rolleyes: Maybe I should buy them amp stands for the holidays? ;)

Amp stands might work.

The last couple of practices we had we've been fighting that battle with one guitar player. He had been bringing a 50W Marshall amp that was perfect but he's trying out some gear he reconditioned so he's got this 100+ watt Vox head and Fender 2x12 cab- cranked, of course- wa-ay too loud for the basement.

We are practicing tonight and I will bring up that my ears were ringing bad after the last practice and we need to turn it down a notch.

I was kind of proud of myself though- I moved to the other end of the basement away from the singers because my bass amp was feeding into their mics and sounding bad. But, then I couldn't hear any vocals (including mine) out of the jerry-rigged PA speakers with 3 foot of speaker wire (home stereo speakers wired into a 1/4 jack). So I took the RCA record outs from the powered PA, ran it into my pedal's jam-along port thru an RCA to 3.5MM Y, ran the pedal output to my Behringer amp, and it makes a great monitor. Especially with everyone playing louder to compete with the big guitar amp.

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

Archived