Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How far back does your musical lineage go ?

d  halfnote

Not that this is that important a question but it can have an affect on how we learn...

In my case both my parents were musicians, though that was more important on the maternal side (she was a life-long player in C & W / pop music ; my father, a classical enthusiast, quit early to be a doctor).

My maternal side also had a long history in folk music areas.

One of my maternal aunts (Sara Ogan) perfromed at the NYC 1939/40 World's Fair & another continued for years as a performer.

What's the story for you, Morning Glory ?

d=halfnote

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My mother played piano. As a young child, I remember her practising while I was taking my afternoon nap. Fell asleep listening to her struggling to play Chopin and Bach:-)

My father played the guitar - folky stuff like the Weavers and Pete Seeger. One of my uncles taught piano so, of course -I- had to have lessons too...

My father played a little guitar, two of my sisters learned some guitar and some piano but none of them stayed with it on a daily basis. I am the only one in my family who liked making music enough to stay with it for a lifetime.

I've told this story before...

My grandfather played the banjolin - strung like a mandolin, formed like a banjo. It has the banjo head, and the four doubled strings of a mando. Here's my grandfather posed with said instrument @ 1917 while in the U.S. Army.

http://www.billhartzell.com/Resources/miscpics/LutherHartzellweb.jpg

Well, my grandfather went on to become a Lutheran minister and was sent to a church in Nova Scotia. In 1935, he died of complications from pneumonia at only 38 years old. The family trekked back to Pennsylvania and continued on with my grandmother raising my father and aunt as a single mother with the help of her parents.

And so it came to pass that my aunt ended up in possession of many family heirlooms, including the banjolin. The instrument spent some time as a wall decoration in my cousin's home. Eventually, in 2004, it was passed on to me because of my special interest and participation in music.

And here I am a couple of autumns ago, striking a pose similar to my grandfather some 90 years earlier:

http://www.billhartzell.com/Resources/miscpics/BillBanjoWeb.jpg

Seems my dad played Tenor Guitar (4 strings) in a jazz band long before I was born, but strangely, he never told me about it until after I'd taken up the guitar, myself.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Nothing pro as far as I know.

Mom liked to sing in church but wasn't in the choir. I've heard it said that dad played drums in a garage band for a short time.

I picked up guitar from my stepdad. He was a hobbyist and never performed in public.

My (maternal) uncle has been a hobbyist most of his life, playing guitar, banjo and violin. He even built his own acoustic guitar from a kit. After retiring (ER doc) he now volunteers at nursing/retirement homes as a solo singer/guitarist.

My (maternal) aunt learned piano as a child growing up and probably took lessons. I don't think she's ever performed in public and probably no longer actively plays.

I have no evidence that previous generations pursued music.

I was born in Nashville and my family tree goes back many generations in middle Tennessee. Lots of musicians and singers in my family but the most significant was a cousin of my Grandfather, Humphrey Bates. He had a band called Dr. Bates and the Possum Hunters back in the 20's I think. They were supposedly the first or one of the first bands to play the Grand Ole Opry. My Grandfather tried teaching me to play the guitar when I was about 6 or 7. Being a rambuncious little kid I got bored pretty fast and quit going to Granpa's house for lessons... how I regret that. I didn't pick up the guitar again until 10 years later (40 yrs ago) and have been playing ever since. Great thread d.

SEHpicker

SEHpicker

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

How far back does your musical lineage go?

Me.

No one on the family tree played any musical instrument as far as we know.

My youngest sister did learn to play piano, but strictly by the book. Poor girl has no feel.

However, it looks like I've started something.

Both my sons turned out to be awesome musicians.

One drummer (I don't have a clue how that happened) and one guitar player and, they currently play in the same band.

They've toured 3 times and have 4 albums under their belts with a 5th album in the planning stages.

One of my maternal aunts (Sara Ogan) perfromed at the NYC 1939/40 Wolrd's Fair.
As a solo folk singer? :cool:

Actually at the world fair (I wish I'd not mis-spelled that in my orig. post :whistle: ) she was part of a group, but she had a long-standing career as a performer & writer, esp. of progressive social & political songs, which included several records...some of which were source material for the 2000 film Songcatcher.

[i performed at the New Orleans 1984 World's Fair. I played tuba with my high school marching band. Does that count? ;)

Sure...everything counts one way or another.

d=halfnote

My mom was a music teacher in New Orleans who knew all kinds of the city's best & brightest...like the Neville brothers, when they were still committing petty crimes.

Because of her, a musical instrument was going to be part of my education, like it or not. Even though I have a good voice (4 1/2 octaves & a killer sustain), I tried cello at age 11.

After 2 years, there were only 5 student (as in, under 20) cellists more technically skilled than myself in the Denver area...and 2 of those were already playing professionally.

But I didn't like the elitist attitude my last couple of teachers had about classical music and the instrument I played, so I stopped.

Eventually, I picked up the guitar.

While I did take a couple of years worth of lessons in standard tuning, because of my background with the cello, I've come to favor Robert Fripp's New Standard Tuning (C-G-D-A-E-G), the first 4 strings of that are identical to the cello's tuning.

I still sing, haven't lost any of my range or anything, but I only do it in church or singing along with my CDs.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

My mother was a classical pianist and ballet dancer (all of her siblings took ballet, too... something my uncles don't like to have brought up) from age 4, majored in piano performance in college, got a Master's Degree in music education and taught at the college level. Now that she's retired she plays all the time.

My dad was a saxophonist who became a music teacher/school band director when he gave up "the jazz life" in his late 30s and settled down.

My stepdad is a trombonist who was a music teacher/band director.

Tons of people on both sides of the family played instruments.

My sister got the guitar I wanted as a kid (my dad was intent on forcing me to play trumpet), and piano lessons which I wanted, too, and she played flute, and was pretty good at all of it but would just stop one day and never bother with it ever again (I eventually commandeered her guitar and taught myself to play).

My brother played sax as a kid, and is pretty natural at guitar and bass, but something about his personality makes him too self-conscious to play in front of people, which is really strange because he was a professional skateboarder.

My mom was a music teacher in New Orleans who knew all kinds of the city's best & brightest...like the Neville brothers, when they were still committing petty crimes.

My dad was from New Orleans... he knew the Nevilles from a little later when they'd started playing in the city's music scenes. Some of his first musical things outside of school as a kid were with kids from the Creole community he was a part of, including a young Fats Domino. Too much skipping school because of playing gigs in the French Quarter late as he got to high school made my grandparents send him to a boarding school in Ohio, and he stayed there for college and had a jazz band for years before coming back to LA to settle down.

My brother and I have an old Kay electric owned by my grandfather but it`s a cheapo, the consensus seems to be that it`s not worth restoring. My dad played clarinet in the service but didn`t continue. My mom is taking piano lessons even now. Both my parents have nice singing voices, my dad used to pal around with Johnny Hartman-he was a contemporary of Billy Eckstine but didn`t get the breaks commercially. My brother plays actively, we talked music last week when I was back stateside. I have several uncles who play brass, one unfortunately left us a few years ago. Jamming with them was one of the coolest experiences I`ve had in recent memory but they tend toward jazz snobbery. I have several cousins who play flute but life has gotten in the way as will happen. One of them (horn & keys) has his own studio and does original compositions, one of which is on my music page and I`m in the process of adding bass and a couple of guitar tracks to another. My dad has mentioned that Ahmad Jamal was one of our neighbors in Chicago, but I was a kid.

Whoops, forgot-I have another cousin about my same age-he is terrible at keeping in touch but he is a big hard rock/metal fan. Last I heard he was playing a Jackson soloist-this is before they started using the `SL`

abbreviation.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

One of my grandfathers played fiddle but I only remember hearing him play once or twice when I was four years old. My sister (12 years older than me) was a folkie guitar player. Other than my older son who has taken up guitar and bass in the last year or so I am not aware of any other musicians in my family.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

My bio-father's brother, my uncle, played clarinet in a local Detroit big band in the '40's. Until booze took over. I only met him once. Most of my musical influence came from "race" radio, my Mother's old record collection and my step-sister and her record collection. She was also the one who started me learning guitar.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

I don't know how far back exactly. My grandfather played piano and my grandmother sang. My father was a radio jockey and sang and played piano. Of seven brothers including myself, 5 of us play an instrument or instruments. Three of us are employed or have been employed in the music industry and or media oriented industries.

Gene Nery has had several cds. One track on Mannheim Steamrollers last cd which went double platinum.

Alexis Nery

who is currently playing with Rachel Thom: a C circuit pop act who is clawing her way to the charts.

Elliot Easton: "Mis Testiculos Esta Engorgada"

Nothing before my sister and I as far as I know although I remember my grandfather on my dad's side played a little harmonica. We both started taking piano lessons when she was 5 and I was 6. My mother took advantage of the fact that we had a very talented teenager living next door who was a classically trained pianist who also played in a jazz band and he was willing to give us lessons for a very reasonable fee. I lasted a year whereas my sister stuck with it and became a very good all-round keyboard player. I started playing guitar at 11 and can also play keyboard.
"Let me stand next to your fire!", Jimi Hendrix

Both my dad and mom played music, but I don't know whether their parents did. I don't recall either of my parents mentioning it.

Dad was a great musical instrument collector, with 30+ violins and at least one of most instruments known to Western man, including a piano and an organ. Even a guitar or two, though not good ones. People tell me he had a talent for woodwind instruments, though what he loved was the violin, and he really didn't have a talent for that! LOL

He was very good to me, buying me instruments and taking me to lessons, etc. One thing I learned from him was that I often saw him reading music, but he played by ear a lot, too, so I just took it for granted that a musician could do both. I learned later that a lot of "ear" guys - really good players - are scared witless of those little black dots on a page, and I've known some accomplished classical students (advanced technique and reading skills) who were afraid to play "Happy Birthday" by ear - I kid you not!

Mom? She played viola in orchestras as a kid, but mostly I heard her play big band and classical 78s on the stereo. Once in a while she'd drag out the violin or sit down at our old out-of-tune piano, especially if she'd had a beer or two.....

My great grandfather played fiddle when he immigrated from Ireland. He taught my grandfather, who played for barn dances, etc. His daughter, my mom, played piano for her church from the age of 13 until she was in her 80's. And her brothers all played instruments ranging from guitar and banjo to clarinet and trumpet. There was even a concertina in the house when I was very small. My cousin has an instrument she inherited from our grandfather that's some kind of cross between a bowed instrument and a harp. My dad played guitar, but only if he thought no one was around to hear him.

I think a lot of abilities skip generations.

Neither of my parents are/were musical. But my maternal grandfather played saxophone in the midwest when he was younger (he was a carnival barker around this time) and my paternal grandfather played jazz violin in the borsht belt in the late 20s/early 30s. They were also both very handy and so am I.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Archived