Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Chicago bound!

rizzo9247

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go Cubs! Rough year for 'em, but we'll do better next year, lol.

Boutique bassmakers Lakland has their shop in Chicago, somewhere on the north side not far from Wrigley, I think. I've never been there.

I'd recommend visiting what's considered to be the best record store in the US, Jazz Record Mart, located downtown. You'll be blown away by the vinyl and cds they have of jazz and blues. The owner started Delmark Records and people working for the store also started Alligator Records and Living Blues Magazine (as I recall), as well as a bunch of others.

Dis is da page for dat rekerd store over dere - dat's how we taak in Chicaago

It's located right downtown, so I imagine you'll walk along Michigan Avenue or hit the top Chicago deep dish pizza spots downtown (Uno's is way better than Gino's, and I know because I was fired from both places back in the day, lol) so it's not out of your way.

The blues clubs have moved to the north side, near Wrigley. When I'm home I always try to hit B.L.U.E.S. on Halsted, mainly to try and catch "The Barroom Preacher" Jimmy Johnson, brother of Hi-Fi Records star Syl Johnson (who I have been digging on my iPod a lot recently). Across from BLUES and also on Halsted Street is another club called Kingston Mines, which is a big hit with tourists and has two stages and plenty of music, tho a bit corny at times. Rosa's Checkerboard Lounge on the South Side near the University of Chicago also has some good acts. Jazz Showcase has the best jazz, but nothing like you have in NYC. Just don't tell 'em you're from NYC or you'll get an earful of how Chicago is better than NYC!

I'd recommend visiting what's considered to be the best record store in the US, Jazz Record Mart, located downtown. You'll be blown away by the vinyl and cds they have of jazz and blues. The owner started Delmark Records and people working for the store also started Alligator Records and Living Blues Magazine (as I recall), as well as a bunch of others.

Don't miss Val's Halla in Oak Park, either, just a short El ride from the Loop. Pure vinyl heaven. Unbelievably eclectic selection. And Val is a trip. She used to work at Capitol Records in the '60s. Man, has she got stories to tell.

hit the top Chicago deep dish pizza spots downtown (Uno's is way better than Gino's.

+1,000

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

hit the top Chicago deep dish pizza spots downtown (Uno's is way better than Gino's.

+1,000

I've had both. My favorite is ... PizzaPapalis. :shocked: But if you're going to have Chicago-style pizza in Chicago, those would be the two choices.

Now a Chicago hot dog you can only get in Chicago. :cool:

If you have time to stop in Toledo, visit Tony Packo's. This is "the" Tony Packo's that Klinger used to rave about on the TV show M*A*S*H*. The walls are covered with hot dog buns autographed by celebs including Jamie Farr. (It's more satisfying, IMO, than visiting the Cheers bar in Boston.)

It doesn't look like my favorite Chicago bands will be playing this weekend. (The Handcuffs, The Goldstars.)

+1,000

I've had both. My favorite is ... PizzaPapalis. :shocked: But if you're going to have Chicago-style pizza in Chicago, those would be the two choices.

And as for what actually constitutes "Chicago-style pizza"...nah. I'm not even gonna go there.

Being a lifelong New Yorker, I don't feel qualified sounding off on what constitutes good deepdish pizza. New York pizza is another story entirely. But that being said, when I've been in Chicago I've been to Gino's East and Giordanos. Both of which I'm told are chains.

I've heard about the original Uno's which is downtown. And I also heard about Pizzeria Due. But I haven't been to either one.

Another place to check out that I personally regret not visiting? Buddy Guy's Legends. I hear that Buddy regularly hangs out at the club. And when I was in town for the Crossroads festival a few months ago I missed out on Buddy jamming with Jimmy Vaughan the night before the gig. But Buddy was absolutely amazing the following day.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

"Goin' to Chicago, sorry but I can't take you

There ain't nothin' in Chicago for a monkey woman to do..."

Speaking as a monkey woman, I beg to differ. ;)

I would never describe you as a "monkey woman," 'Mama. You all right, girl!

(Actually, I don't even know what a "monkey woman" is...but it sounds cool. :laugh: )

"Goin' to Chicago, sorry but I can't take you

There ain't nothin' in Chicago for a monkey woman to do..."

Speaking as a monkey woman, I beg to differ. ;)

I would never describe you as a "monkey woman," 'Mama. You all right, girl!

(Actually, I don't even know what a "monkey woman" is...but it sounds cool. :laugh: )

In context it doesn't sound complimentary...

I've been to Gino's East and Giordanos. Both of which I'm told are chains.

I've heard about the original Uno's which is downtown. And I also heard about Pizzeria Due. But I haven't been to either one.

Another place to check out that I personally regret not visiting? Buddy Guy's Legends.

Due's is one block from Uno's (get it - 2, 1) and yet isn't as good as Uno's. Uno's is the only real chain - Giordano's has a handful of places now - but the one in Chicago is the real deal. I like the cornmeal crust of Gino's East, but to me it's overrated, especially because they remodeled their old place, which was half the charm of Gino's. Uno's wins on sauce and the 'sausage wheel', which is as good as it sounds.

Buddy Guy's original place closed down in 2009 and I haven't made it to the new place. I forget even where it is, but the old one was one of the top places to hear great blues. Definitely worth checking out.

Being covered with fur and living in a tree sounds cool? I wanna party with you, Mama!

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

By the way, Bass Club is now located at 1455 W. Hubbard Street, not in Alsip, which was its original location. It's part of another music store now.

The new Buddy Guy's Legends is beautiful and has a great sound system.

"For instance" is not proof.

By the way, Bass Club is now located at 1455 W. Hubbard Street, not in Alsip, which was its original location. It's part of another music store now.

Make sure you take note of Bass Club Chicago's hours. I got shut out the last time I was in town and thought they might still be open around 6 PM on a Friday. But they have some really sweet fish in stock!

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Make sure you take note of Bass Club Chicago's hours. I got shut out the last time I was in town and thought they might still be open around 6 PM on a Friday. But they have some really sweet fish in stock!

Yeah. It's kind of hard to find, too, back off of an alley. I banged on the door repeatedly, but no one answered. Perhaps they had been forewarned that I was coming.

Home at last!

Friday started off with train ride up to Wrigley for the Cubs/Cardinals game (Cards came out on top 7-1). Before the game, we made a stop at Wrigleyville Dogs for a dog with all the fixins..nice...

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r279/rizzo9247/IMG_20100924_124035.jpg

After the game, we took a nice stroll over to the Chicago Music Exchange. Unfortunately I did not play anything as traveling with three women forces you to make some sacrifices along the way, but I did manage a couple of pictures.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r279/rizzo9247/IMG_20100924_170131.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r279/rizzo9247/IMG_20100924_165606.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r279/rizzo9247/IMG_20100924_165548.jpg

After walking around town and seeing the sights, dinner on Saturday was at Pizzeria Due as we weren't going to wait over an hour for Uno's, but it was quite tasty.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r279/rizzo9247/IMG_20100924_213316.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r279/rizzo9247/IMG_20100925_121017.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r279/rizzo9247/IMG_20100925_185834.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r279/rizzo9247/IMG_20100925_185804.jpg

Sunday we had lunch at Billy Goat Tavern. The burgers were so good, we had to go back Monday for seconds.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r279/rizzo9247/IMG_20100927_140325.jpg

Also on Monday, I dragged the traveling mates to the Bass Club. Yes, it was a bit of a hassle to find, but well worth it. My favorite of the bunch was a Nash 63 Jazz Bass that was beyond delicious, I was very close to bringing it home (sorry no pictures!)

After a flight delay, I managed to get back to my house and unwrapped a present...

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r279/rizzo9247/IMG_20100918_154701.jpg

Archived