Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

15" speaker for guitar - recommendations?

xanda-panda

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi you helpful lot. I want to get a cabinet with 2 15" speakers to accompany my 4x12" cabinet. Can you recommend any particular speakers that work well with guitar (and preferably bass too)?

Thanks!

I have an old Standell Imperial amp with a single 15" JBL that sounds just awesome. Don't recall which model JBL it is but it's amazingly well balanced across the spectrum.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

XP,

Speaker selection is kind of like guitar or amp selection, it's truly a matter of taste. But +1 on the JBL's. Scott's probably referring to the D130 series. (Fender orange frame 15's are also JBL D130's)

Unfortunately JBL D130's have not been manufactured for years, but you can find them from time to time on ebay. However, Weber makes a repro. See his "High Power Series, The "California 15."

https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/

Other 15's I personally prefer are Altec 418's (also no longer made)some Electro Voice and several Jensen models.

DC

XP,

I'm not an expert, but as far as I know the main difference between the two magnet types is power capacity / head room with AlNiCo breaking up earlier than Ceramic.

Another nice thing about Weber speakers is that unlike the Altec's or JBL's mentioned earlier which always came with aluminum center domes is that you can order them with paper domes if you want to reduce the top end bite (treble) a bit.

Personally I kind of like the aluminum centers, I think it imparts a bit of horn-like quality, but to each his own.

Additionally, Weber also sells a device called a "Beam Blocker" that is used to reduce "top end bite." Ted (Weber) is also a stand up guy you can actually talk to one-on-one for advice and he stands behind his work.

He's also got an online speaker forum you might want to check out and post your question in. I'm sure there's some folks there with a lot more speaker expertise than I have.

DC

Forum: http://www.tedsforums.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=c2dh6ifilkbo9f8gdv9i1ce0f0&board=12.0

Thanks again. I'll definitely look into them. I'm going to be using my Ampeg V4 with a 4x12 (G12H30s 70th anniversary speakers) and a 2x15. The ampeg has two 'speaker out' jacks so this should work, right? Have I overlooked anything? I don't think I've ever seen anyone use two cabinets with different sized speakers connected to the same head before.

The 4x12 is 8ohms and the Ampeg can handle 8, 4 or 2 ohms so an 8 ohm 2x15 cabinet should work fine I think.

Could somebody let me know if I'm about to ruin my amp or anything!?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks,

I've noticed on the Weber link there are Ceramic Cali 15 speakers with a "Guitar" or "Bass" cone type that you need to select before ordering. Can anyone suggest which would work the best for both guitar and bass without compromise on quality?

There seems to be no option for 'cone type' for the Eminence Big Ben Redcoat. Does that mean it's tailored for bass, would it work as well for guitar? Does any of this even make much difference!?

I'll be using it mainly for guitar but I want a great bass speaker as well in case i use it for bass.

Thanks.

Best thing to do is ask Weber or Eminence. They are the experts with their speakers. Just tell them what your application is. I'm just guessing, but a lot of your choice will have to do with how loud you need to play and your style of music.

Remember the original Fender Bassman's had 4 x 10" low power speakers, but it turned out to be one of the most killer guitar amps of all time.

Oh, and speaking of Bassman's - I use a 50 watt Bassman head with a Fender 1 x 15" (JBL D130) Showman cab. It's awesome with guitar and not bad with a bass, but I don't push it as hard when playing bass.

DC

Lots of great info here; a good thread to bookmark for future reference. :cool:

Just so everyone knows- while Weber Speakers are indeed still in production, sadly, Ted Weber passed on last year...

In Loving Memory - Ted A. Weber

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Remember, xanda-panda- go with either

two 16-ohm 15" speakers wired in parallel in your 2x15 cab for an impedance of 8-ohms

-or-

two 4-ohm 15" speakers wired in series in your 2x15 cab for an impedance of 8-ohms

to go with your 4x12, for a total combined impedance of 4-ohms when both cabs are connected to the amp.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Archived