Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - Running

Phred

Running 10K in slippers would be difficult, and I would think you could injure yourself easily. I have never tried it, nor have I tried the 'barefoot' running shoes that seem popular, so I may not know what I am talking about.

Speaking of injury... I have a question for you experienced runners... On the weekend, I was out for a run and at about the 5k mark my knee started to ache. This as the first time that I have ever had any joint pain like this while running. I got worse, so I stopped at about 6.5K and walked home (maybe 1k) . The next day it was achy and stiff, but not terrible. Now - it's perfect. Should I go get my knee looked at? Should I see if it happens again?

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

Shoot, Dave F, 18:45 is an amazing time! My fastest is 20:00 flat - but still very proud of myself. At the moment I'm really frustrated: in the summer I jumped from a very high wall (as if I were 16!) because a few buddies and I had got locked in our college having a few brewskies on a Friday eve, and security had locked up. I've been kicking myself ever since. I've found that eating correctly and running is the surest, most natural, least expensive way to keep yourself fit and healthy. Can't wait for my leg to heal fully. :thu:

I used to run a lot in my younger days, until my hips started going out. Last March I had to have the left hip replaced. After rehabbing it, I have found that cycling and swimming to do it for me. My previous post to the contrary notwithstanding, I used to love to run. "Living hard will take its toll"
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

Shoot, Dave F, 18:45 is an amazing time! My fastest is 20:00 flat - but still very proud of myself.

Thanks Cliff but it was more due to my inexperience with running that distance. Has I mentioned it was my first 5K , I'd only done 10K, halfs and full marathons.

I was a still a youngster at 44 too. :laugh: I'd be hard pressed to break 21:00 thirteen years later. I remember hitting the first mile split in 5:40 with a running club member and thinking HOLY S..T !!! I'm going way TOO fast, what the hell am I doing ?!...I've got 2.1 more miles to go!! I somehow hung on but it was VERY painful--more so then any Marathon I've done. :cry:

Here is someone everyone should know about...If you guys want to see someone who's REALLY fast and just turned 61, check out my friend Nolan Shaheed. He holds WORLD RECORDS in many age group categories in the 800, 1500 and 5K. He's a great Trumpet player who as worked with Stevie, Count Basie, Marvin Gaye, the Temps and many others.

http://www.nolanshaheed.com/Bio.htm

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=15251

http://www.letsrun.com/2010/shaheed0128.php

There's an audio interview at the bottom of the page, very cool, check it out.

http://recoveryourstride.blogspot.com/2010/01/nolan-shaheed-fast-guy-with-fastinating.html

Personally I don't know how he does it with the food thing, he weighs under 130. I'm always eating little snacks here and there. At dinner which is my only "full meal" of the day, I chow big time.

He's very humble around other musicians, never "talks" about his running. You wouldn't know he's even a serious runner much less a World Record holder, elite runner.

• 2 months later...

Timely re-appearance of this thread for me. Kevin & Dave, both those stories point out that even if one has the desire to run, one must also have the health.

Me and my buddy signed up for the May 1st St. Luke's half. Soon after, he fell off a ladder and broke two ribs, I had complications from minor surgery that sidelined me for 6 weeks, then he started having achilles problems!

I am finally back on the treadmill but there is another twist. I got the treadmill for free with next to zero hours on it, yet it started to make a noise such that I had to increase the volume of the movies I was watching to the point where my kids might hear curse words upstairs. We had it checked out and found that it is covered under an extended warranty bought by the original owner. And God bless her, she has seen to it that we get a new one, so I picked out this:

Nordic Track T5.3

They were supposed to deliver it yesterday, but refused citing weather (icey driveway). It is now scheduled for Tuesday.

Sooooooo, my brother came over yesterday to take the rear roller boss off mine to replace his which is broken and not available. He swapped on his broken one so now I don't have any treadmill at all and my 12 week Hal Hidgon plan starts tomorrow! (Nordic Track is coming Thursday to set up the new one).

It seems like this half marathon wasn't meant to happen! But it will, doggone it! I think I have the base line fitness to skip a few weeks of the plan, but I don't want to if I don't have to.

Regards,

Joe

• 2 months later...

Well, I ran my first half yesterday! Not too bad, felt good until about mile 11, then I had to gut it out a bit. Took 8 oz. water at mile 5, and then 8 more and a gel at mile 8. Finished at 2:19.

Nice course, the St. Lukes Half Marathon in Allentown, PA. Very well-run race, weather was perfect. 12 bands along the course, only two had keyboarders and both were playing old Korgs.

Regards,

Joe

All-Right Joe! Great looking course: http://lehighvalleyhalfmarathon.com/

Saw your results at: that website: 10k split 1:03:19 overall 2:19:22 10:45 pace! Way to go dude! You Da Man! Looks like you finished on a track, maybe at that William Allen High school? That's pretty cool, just like the Olympics-finishing on a track!

I'm into trail running lately, next up for me is this Saturday, May 7th, a grueling 14 mile trail run called the Xterra Malibu Creek Challenge up the old Bulldog trail. Beautiful views of the Pacific ocean but lots of extreme mountain climbing. Check out the course and elevation profile info at: http://www.trailrace.com/malibu.html Keep up the running-and playing!

When most people go to work, they work. When musicians go to work, they play. Which do you prefer?

Good time MAN!!! I drink way more water than you. Or at least more often, maybe not more total...

I am training for the Ottawa city 1/2 Marathon in May. I have run a bunch of five and 10 Km races this year and love every one of them...

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

Hey thanks, Man! It was a good day. I had to stop to urinate at mile 3, though. Definition of eternity: waiting for a woman to come out of the bathroom during a foot race!

That was my mistake, but when the race starts at 8:10, between coffee and hydrating and waiting 45 minutes at the start, it's an inevitability.

That 22K elevation profile is sick, Dude! Good luck to you on the trail.

Regards,

Joe

Been there with the bathroom thing, I share your frustration! I've seen some pretty "unusual" bathroom stops on many races-including a girl who decided to use a tree on a grassy parkway boulevard in the middle of Los Angeles-no modesty at all! (but this is prob. a topic for another thread)! :)

Ran a full-course preview of my upcoming 22k back on April 16th. Ran out of water around mile 11, saw a big'ol rattlesnake crossing right in front of me at mile 12.5 and managed to finish in 2:43. My goal for this course next Sat. is 2:30.

When most people go to work, they work. When musicians go to work, they play. Which do you prefer?

Jim, good for you and impressive - that takes a lot of discipline on the road.

Still Learning, rattle snakes??!! If I had a rattle snake on my ass at mile 11 yesterday I woulda been a goner. Be careful.

Regards,

Joe

Joe P-a big congrats on your first Half finish, that's terrific man ! Yeah the infamous "pit stops", they always come at the most inopportune time. Sounds like you ran a good conservative time and came out injury free, that's what it's about. Make sure to take a few easy weeks before easing back into any serious training.

When I was racing halfs, I remember my trouble spots were always around 9 miles or so. But if you're running on empty, those last 2 miles at mile 11 can seem like 20, I know.

Hey good luck to you Phred in Ottawa. Must be right around the corner. Don't go out too fast and try and have fun with it. Is it your first ?

SL--I gotta get out there and run with you guys . My only lame excuses are the gas prices and traffic. :blush: I'm just sticking close to home if I'm not gigging these days.

Stopped at Future Track that Sunday awhile back, met Gloria and mentioned you. Also didn't know that Phil worked there. We've run every year at the Rattle Snake Run in Griffith Park from the Race Ready people's house. We run up to the Hollywood sign, Phil usually kicks everyone's butts; he's a great runner, really strong on the hills.

Speaking of hills, good luck Sat. at Malibu Creek. Bulldog is the second toughest hill trail run in LA imo. The first being the MT. Wilson Toll road 10 mile climb out of Eaton Park in Pasadena. One year preparing for the Long Beach Marathon, we ran that long Bulldog loop something like 6 Saturday mornings in a row. :cry: I hope the weather cools down a bit for you by Saturday, I think it's supposed to.

My running is going well. I had 3 consecutive weeks at 40 miles and then last week the bod was telling me to take the mileage down a bit to 32. Gonna see if I can get back to 40 this week and hold it again for awhile. Running 6 days with one day totally off. Also going 2 days to the gym for about 35-40 minutes of stretching, core stuff and my new trigger point massage toy I've had for a few months now. It takes all the kinks out of my calves, IT band, hamstrings, quads, etc. This new "Grid" along with the older "TP Massage Baller" and "Quad Baller" are the main reasons I've been able to get my mileage back up to a respectable level. Highly recommended for all runners.

http://store.tptherapy.com/The_Grid_Revolutionary_Foam_Roller_p/tpt-grd.htm

A few days a week I've also been doing about 15 minutes or a little over 1.5 miles barefoot on the inner artificial grass surface football field at the Glendale College track. My feet, and other connective leg muscles feel much stronger since I've been doing this.

At my age, you have to look for every little advantage to keep you in the ballgame... :)

Dave, I messed up up... I am going to run in the HALF marathon in May (may 29th)... Not full... That is one heck of a 21.KM typo... Sorry about this.

My 2nd official 1/2 Marathon, but I have done the 21.1K distance quite a few times on my own before.

I may do the full 42K next year.

Again, sorry for the typo. I fixed it now...

Hey Dave, thanks for the encouraging words.

Phred, somehow I missed your post but good luck in your second half.

Family/time permitting I plan to do at least one half every year. I was lucky because I teamed up with a friend and we did most of the long runs together and a 10K in preparation.

Regards,

Joe

Dave:.....Yeah, it would be great to run with you! We meet every Tues. (anywhere from 25 to 75 people) at 6pm at the Oak Park High School track for a 75 minute track workout, and every Thurs. at Chesebro Canyon (smaller group) at 6pm for a 45 minute trail run. I would love to run Griffith Park-never done that. Pick a weekend that works for you and I'll do my best to meet ya there!

Phil is a great guy eh? He ran Boston 2 weeks ago, as did about 4 others from our runing club. Phil is one of my running inspirations-for a lot of reasons!

I've got one of the old-style foam rollers and I do rolling exercises like This I need to do more stretching/rolling, I always feel better afterwards but I never seem to have the time/energy to do it. A lot of club members swear by post-race massages and I think I will actually try my first one after my race this Saturday. After running/hiking that Malibu Creek/Bulldog trail I think I'm gonna need it!

You're doing about the same mileage/week as me, I'm also running 5 to 6 days/week, I'm starting to get interested in the barefoot stuff, just finished reading "Born To Run" by Christopher McDougall and he talks a bit about it. Let me know how it works for you.

Think about running with me in Griffith Park and hit me up if that's something you'd like to do. A bunch of us are already signed up for the Long Beach Marathon in October-gonna be a nice big partay!

I am finally back on the treadmill....Nordic Track T5.3

Joe, while I'm undecided on the Rhodes, I do plan to pick up that treadmill or an elliptical machine. ;)

Eventually, I may ease into running around a track but no distance running or marathons for this old man. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Jim, good for you and impressive - that takes a lot of discipline on the road.

When you have as many (newly discovered) food allergies as me, it's not so hard! :) I cannot eat any processed meats (no nitrites or nitrates), anything with artificial food dyes, and no sulfites. Puts a limit on the diet, for sure.

I am finally back on the treadmill....Nordic Track T5.3

Joe, while I'm undecided on the Rhodes, I do plan to pick up that treadmill or an elliptical machine. ;)

Eventually, I may ease into running around a track but no distance running or marathons for this old man. :laugh::cool:

Good for you, Prof!

Set yourself up. I watch DVD's on my laptop and run the audio through the speakers (just finished watching "Ray"). Between the speed adjustment and the incline, you are sure to find something comfortable yet challenging. I don't know much about eliptical machines, but the treadmill is directly translatable to real distances, speeds and inclines, i.e. you will know your limits with certainty before you go to a track. On an elipitical I'm not so sure.

Regards,

Joe

• 4 weeks later...

So I just ran my 2nd ever 1/2 marathon this weekend, and I was happy-ish with my time. I chipped 1:50:12, which was a little slower than I wanted, but pretty good none the less. I couldn't believe the crowds. 10,500 people in the race, and another 5,100 in the Marathon that we joined up with later.

I loved it, and I am ready for my next one this October. Also, next year I believe I will be training for the full marathon, but I am having trouble getting my head around the commitment involved.

There were a lot of signs held up for motivation "You can do it" "Don't give up" that sort of thing. Others were a little bit more creative. The best signs that I saw :

- SHUT UP LEGS!!!

- If it was easy, I would do it!!!

- It seemed like such a good idea in January didn't it?

- Worst parade ever!!

- Run like you stole something!!!

- Toenails are overrated.

And in my mind, the funniest, held up at around the 18k mark by a cute blonde lady:

- You have great stamina, call me 555-5123.

So I just ran my 2nd ever 1/2 marathon this weekend, and I was happy-ish with my time. I chipped 1:50:12, which was a little slower than I wanted, but pretty good none the less. I couldn't believe the crowds. 10,500 people in the race, and another 5,100 in the Marathon that we joined up with later.

Excellent Phred, congrats !!

That is a large field ! Like I think I said earlier in the thread, I tend to stay away from the large events these days. I enjoy being able to walk right up to the start without the parking and other logistical problems associated with big races. It's nice at the end too not having to hassle with the throngs to get to your car and get outta there.

Thanks Dave.

Parking: Getting there was fine. Getting OUT of the lot I chose, not so much. I was in p3 of an underground lot, and it took my 45mins to get out... The line up of cars was insane.

The part about the big field that was hard was the actual running. The water stations got crammed up and I was forced to slow down (I brought some of more own water in hopes to avoid the water station slowdown, but it didn't work).

The run I am doing in October is much smaller, about 500 people, and much more enjoyable from a running standpoint. Although the crowd and support from this big run was really fun. It was nice to see the 1000s of supporters cheering us on, calling us by name, (it was printed on our number).

I may lose one, doesn't really hurt, but is a bit purple. I wonder why, as I do this distance on my own fairly regularly, and have never had any trouble with it.

Phred,

Did you change shoes? I believe the slightest mis-fit can make your toes impact the front of the shoe. Hundreds or thousands of small impacts later and the nail is lost. The problem is worsened on downhills.

I bought new shoes and put about 40 miles or so on them before the half but still had the toenail problem. I think it was downhills on pavement that did it.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it! :)

Good luck!

Regards,

Joe

No - I bought new shoes before the run, and I knew enough not to wear them.

Good theory on the hills. This race had a lot of hills that I didn't properly anticipate. I have prepared for the hills by doing hill training, but I ran up and walked/slow jogged down during my training. I ran down during the race. That might be the difference.