Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - Running

Phred

Running is great! I'm not as well trained or fit as I was for my first half marathon in 2012, but woke up at the crack of dawn 4:00 am today to travel 1.5 hrs to run a historic half with my 8-man running team. It was great!

Congrats, Justin! Stick with it!

Running is great! I'm not as well trained or fit as I was for my first half marathon in 2012, but woke up at the crack of dawn 4:00 am today to travel 1.5 hrs to run a historic half with my 8-man running team. It was great!

Congrats! My goal for next year is to be able to run 6.2 miles, (10K.) It's just a matter of building up my endurance.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

It's official. I'll be running the Goodwin Community Health Center Father's Day 5K. Next month. My goal is to be able to run it in under 30 minutes, but if I can beat my previous 5K time, I'll be happy. My pace for that was 10:23/mile. Any tips and tricks for gradually improving my pace?

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

It's official. I'll be running the Goodwin Community Health Center Father's Day 5K. Next month. My goal is to be able to run it in under 30 minutes, but if I can beat my previous 5K time, I'll be happy. My pace for that was 10:23/mile. Any tips and tricks for gradually improving my pace?

Justin, consider going to a track and doing speed intervals. Something like: run 2 laps at your current distance pace and then one lap at a pace faster than your goal pace. The fast lap doesn't have to be sprinting, but fast enough to only be sustainable for one lap. Repeat for as long as you can without stopping.

It will make you more comfortable with longer distances, and your speed will improve. You should of course observe all precautions stretching etc. etc.

Good luck!

Joe

Awesome Work Justin!! And others on here of course!

I did my first triathlon of the year this past weekend, and ended up pretty happy. The swim was in a pool, which is quite a bit different than open water. My event times were:

500M swim - 10:32

Transition 1 - 6:33 - (including a 600-700 meter run from the pool to the bikes...)

36KM bike - 1h 08 minutes

Transition 2 - 1:20

5KM run - 23:35

My total time was about 1hour 50 minutes.

I am especially happy with my 5k run time as my legs were like jello.

I am disappointed in my swim, not of the time, but as I had to stop and rest at a wall. I am still struggling with pacing while I swim, and in a pool it's a bit more troublesome. They start people every 10-15seconds, and seed you based on a time you think you can swim 500M in. So you are always acutely aware that there is someone right behind you. Getting passed in the pool is unnerving, so I try to keep my speed up, and tend to start too fast.

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

Justin, consider going to a track and doing speed intervals. Something like: run 2 laps at your current distance pace and then one lap at a pace faster than your goal pace. The fast lap doesn't have to be sprinting, but fast enough to only be sustainable for one lap. Repeat for as long as you can without stopping.

It will make you more comfortable with longer distances, and your speed will improve. You should of course observe all precautions stretching etc. etc.

Good luck!

Joe

I'll have to find a track in my area first, but I'm definitely up for trying that. I'm also doing a lot of full body strength training (no heavy lifting, just more reps with light to medium weights.). That, plus a nice 3.5 mile run every other day has definitely helped with getting my weight down to where I'm most comfortable with running, (170 lbs.) but I definitely want to try that track workout, gotta find a track first!

Hardware

Software

You don't really need a track. Its certainly helpful, but not necessary. All you need is something to track distance and time. Evenly spaced street lights, or around the block or whatever. I used to use a parking lot that I figured was about 400m. The trick is something consistent. Try doing something like this:

Run at your normal pace (or a bit slower) for say 1mile. Do the middle 1.5 miles alternating 400 m fast and 400 m recovery(3 of each should give you 1.5 miles). The fast should be faster than regular pace(but not so fast as you can't do 400m maintaining pace), and the recovery should be slower. Recovery is to get heart rate back to reasonable pace. You could even start your recovery with a walk, (50m or so) and gradually jog for the rest. Then a nice easy 1 mile.

Don't over do it. I promise that your speed will improve.

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

Even better. The street I live on has a 1/4 mile stretch on one side of my house that's kinda flat, the other side has a 1/4 mile downhill stretch. Best of both worlds right there! What I'd like to do is start with the speed interval! then eventually I'd like to start working in some hill training. But one thing at a time first.

Hardware

Software

Any tips and tricks for gradually improving my pace?

Good info on the link below. Runnerworld web site is a wonderful resource. Some key things to remember as you increase your level of intensity, is injury prevention. Alot of info on their web site about that. One thought that has helped me, is to cross train with a bike. Helps me get a good workout when I don't always feel like running. Also, add weight training to strengthen muscles. Again, lots of good info on runners world web site about that. They have videos, doctors giving tips, etc.

www.runnersworld.com/race-training/solving-5k-puzzle?page=single

Any tips and tricks for gradually improving my pace?

Good info on the link below. Runnerworld web site is a wonderful resource. Some key things to remember as you increase your level of intensity, is injury prevention. Alot of info on their web site about that. One thought that has helped me, is to cross train with a bike. Helps me get a good workout when I don't always feel like running. Also, add weight training to strengthen muscles. Again, lots of good info on runners world web site about that. They have videos, doctors giving tips, etc.

www.runnersworld.com/race-training/solving-5k-puzzle?page=single

Big +1 on Runners World.

Great article, but a couple things confuse me. 1.). What exactly is a tempo run, and 2.). What does it mean to run repeats or repititions?

Hardware

Software

Alright, so let me see if I've got this right. A workout involving repeats is basically where after warming up with maybe a light jog and some stretching, I would run, for example, 4 sets of 500 meters with a recovery period in between (no wait, that's an interval workout, or are they kinda the same thing?), and a Tempo Run is where I would run, for example, a distance equivalent to a 5K or more, at a pace that's challenging, but comfortable at the same time. At least, that's how I'm interpreting the information in those two articles. Slowly, but surely, I'll get the idea.

Hardware

Software

Thanks, Dave. I have a 3.5 mile course that I mapped out, which I've been running at least twice a week, three times a week at most, and with a bit of walking and stretching to cool down afterwards, it's quite a comfortable run. My normal pace for that course is usually 11:00, sometimes 10:45, although I'm not sure how much I should trust the MapMyRun app! ;). What I think I'll try to do for my tempo workouts is do this course a little slower. There are several side streets too, in my neighborhood, so it will be easy to add another half mile if I feel comfortable and want the extra challenge. Over the next few days I'll try doing an interval workout, a tempo run, and maybe an easy hill workout, but what I want to do is build a routine that I can stick to, and maybe change it up a bit from time to time.

One thing's certain, I've been running just for the fitness aspect over the past few years, but I'm seriously getting a lot of enjoyment out of it. Not only that, but completing my first 5K this past week, and connecting with others here on the KC forum is really getting me inspired to keep on running!

Hardware

Software

Another question--I do a few different stretches after my runs and workouts, but what are some of you guys' favorite stretches to do? I'm just curious because I would like to change up the different ones I do (basic standing quad stretch, calf stretch while leaning against a wall, a lot of the ones I used to do in P.E. class 15 years ago) but again, I would like some variety. All of this info, BTW, is very much appreciated! Thanks again!

Hardware

Software

I can't recall if you mentioned it, but using a GPS watch is quite helpful. It tracks your distance and pace with some other stats. I find it useful when running in new territory to keep track of how far I've gone and I definitely like it during races to regulate my pace each mile. I started out with a really cheap one several years ago and eventually updated to a recent Garmin. Great tools for runners.

One thing's certain, I've been running just for the fitness aspect over the past few years, but I'm seriously getting a lot of enjoyment out of it. Not only that, but completing my first 5K this past week, and connecting with others here on the KC forum is really getting me inspired to keep on running!

It IS enjoyable. I love going to the trail for my long run, my wife drops me off, takes the kids to the park and picks me up 8 miles down range. Back on the trail it is quiet and remote. There is a meditation-like benefit to it, which interestingly I don't get on the treadmill watching Breaking Bad!

And races - it is cool to be among "your people", other runners.

I will run as long as I am able. To quote Kara Goucher: "Running is the best gift you can give yourself".

Connecting with others is good here. Also meeting other runners on your level is a blast. It puts you on in contact with a whole new cross section of people you would have never meet otherwise. You may have some running clubs in your area that run maybe once a week to get a long run in, often to train for a run in the future or, just to run and stay motivated, depending on the club. All ages and levels are usually found in these clubs so you will find others who will be at your level. If you live in the states..

http://usafit.com/

First interval workout done this morning. I warmed up with a mile of light jogging, the workout was 3x1/4mile running a bit faster than my race speed (not sure exactly what the pace was as I don't really have a way to track it other than MapMyRun, which I don't really trust a lot, and I don't think it can track interval workouts,) with some walking/light jogging for recovery in between each set, followed by a light jog for 1 mile plus stretching for my cool down. I was quite comfortable with this workout, felt good afterwards. Did some calisthenics and strength training this evening, felt great afterwards.

Hardware

Software

Rainy day today. Looks like either eliptical or treadmill work for me. I think I'll pick eliptical. It's more comfortable for me to run outdoors than on a treadmill, where I don't have to worry about shortening my stride. Don't get me wrong, I like warming up and cooling down on a treadmill, but I'll only do a running workout on one as a last resort.

Hardware

Software

You should try running in the rain! Unless it is torrential. Some races fall upon bad weather and it is good to have some wet weather training experience. It also feels pretty good!

I hate running on the treadmill. Only in very desperate situations.

Invest in a good rain jacket designed for running. Then simply decide that you are running, if it is rainy, cold, hot, whatever... The biggest hurdle mental hurdle for me was to get past making the decision whether or not to run, because it is too easy to decide to not :)...

Well, the weather decided to clear up yesterday, so I did a slow, steady 2.85 miles, with an average 11:42 pace. Like I said, slow and steady... Back to interval training on Wednesday. Now here's another question: could I mix up my interval training and hill intervals from week to week (regular interval training one week, hill training the next, and alternate between the two), or should I just stick to running intervals for a while, then focus on hill training later on?

Hardware

Software

Another question, guys. (sorry, lol!) What are some good tips to avoid heel-striking? From what I've read and watched on YouTube, the best way to avoid it is to not run completely vertical, but with a slight forward lean, so the leg goes behind me. Just wondering if if that would be a good idea to start practicing, or are there other things I might want to try?

Hardware

Software

Another question, guys. (sorry, lol!) What are some good tips to avoid heel-striking? From what I've read and watched on YouTube, the best way to avoid it is to not run completely vertical, but with a slight forward lean, so the leg goes behind me. Just wondering if if that would be a good idea to start practicing, or are there other things I might want to try?

I do not think it has been conclusively decided that heel-striking is bad. It has been observed that natural runners belonging to peoples with little modern world contact are toe-strikers, and those funny shoes have been developed, which I haven't tried. I have also heard that transitioning to toe-striking via those funny shoes can require significant adjustments by your body and that it takes a considerable amount of time (weeks). But for your current mileage, Justin, I wouldn't worry about it, just keep doing what you're doing. My two cents!

Keep Running,

Joe

Alright, I'm participating in Runner's World's 40-day Streak Challenge...

CLONKETY CLONK CLONK

It lasts from Memorial Day to Independence Day and the premise of the challenge is to run at least one mile a day for 40 days. I've mapped out a 1.25 mile course around my neighborhood and I've noticed my time get a little faster and faster each day (Yesterday's average pace was 9:12.) It's definitely getting me stronger, but I still want to do one or two more 3-milers before my 5K in a couple weeks.

Hardware

Software

Did a 6.25 mile run today. Ran the first mile at a 9:45 pace, and slowed down for the rest, around 11:00-11:30. A little tiring, but a whole hell of a lot of fun!

Hardware

Software

That's my furthest distance--for now!! The next big run is the Father's Day 5K I'm doing next Sunday. I'm so pumped for it! I want to get one more speed workout and possibly a slow 3.5 or 4 mile run before the big day.

Hardware

Software

I will say this, too. My clothing choices as of late have definitely benefitted my ability to run longer distances, and has helped my speed--just gravitated to 3" running shorts, and a singlet. Furthermore, Over the last year, I've found a bunch of singlets in various thrift shops in my area, still looking for more shorts as I only have one pair of 3" shorts. I'm the most comfortable I've been in a long time.

Hardware

Software

Just bought a foam roller today. Can't wait to incorporate that into my cool downs. Will definitely be utilizing it after my 5K tomorrow!

Hardware

Software