Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - Running

Phred

Too many musicians neglect exercise. One can speculate why that is: irregular hours, bad eating habits picked up from being on the road or being around bars, and probably other things. And sometimes it's difficult to see the connection between being in shape and pursuing your work/passion. But it's there. If you sleep better, if you have good circulation and good posture, then you'll perform better in all aspects of life. Dave Ferris' story might be inspiring to, say, good runners who are trying to become great runners. But the same story might be intimidating to someone who is struggling just to overcome years of inertia. Like if you're just starting to learn jazz and someone plays a Herbie Hancock cut and says "see, this is the goal. Do this."

I believe the most important thing with exercise is to find something you can do every single day and then do it. Every single day. If it's a part of a daily routine, then you will start to look forward to it, conciously or subconciously, and you'll miss it if it's not there. Make it the organizing principle of your life. That doesn't mean it's the only thing you do or care about. That means it's the one thing you don't sacrifice to anything else. Don't worry about how much you're doing at first. The goal at first should be to shift from inertia to momentum, and to keep some kind of momentum going. From there, you'll eventually find the comfort level. If it's a brisk walk for 30 minutes a day, then that's fine. That's infinitely better than doing nothing at all.

I gets preachy about this stuff. If you read this far, thanks for indulging me.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I'm also a long time (30+ years) runner and triathlete and have done all manor and distance of races from 5K's to Ironman distances (including 13 Boston, 6 NYC, 3 Chicago, a couple of LA and countless other less noteworthy marathons) with a personal best in Boston of 3:01:47.

I had to give up marathoning a number of years ago, when after a number of knee procedures, my ortho told me to "stop running, or have double knee replacements". Most my damage was likely caused in my earlier years when runners did little else but run. There wasn't really any crosstraining with weights in the 70's and we just ran more and more miles.

Back in the day, my typical daily schedule would be 7 miles in the morning, 5 or 6 at night, with a long run (10-15 miles) on Saturday and Sunday was a rest day. We know NOW that a regimen like that is harmful to the body, especially without special attention to strengthening the muscle groups that support the knees!

I stopped serious distance running and keep my distances to 10K and under now. I now focus on long distance road cycling and my knees are able to cope with those stresses much better. That and the occasional tri keeps me fit and sane!

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

Hi All,

This post is not on the topic of music or keyboards.

I have a relatively new passion; running. About 2.5 years ago, I was 50 lbs heavier and not in shape at all. I started eating better and lost a lot of weight, but I still wasn't excercising.

So in November '09 my wife convinced me to get a gym membership. So I treadmilled, and did some classes and enjoyed it okay.

Well, in April I entered my first organized race - a 5km (3.1 mile) race. I started going to the gym with a purpose, to train for this run. I ran it and did well, and learned some stuff. Then I did a 10km (6.2 mile (edit to fix typo)) race, and just yesterday did another 5km, and beat my personal best by over 2 mins.

Yesterday, while still on a runner high, I signed up for my first 1/2 marathon (21.1 km or about 13 miles). I am stoked about it, and can't wait, although I also keep wondering, 'am I nuts...??'.

I wish I discovered this earlier in life.

I believe that there are other runners out there... Post here if you feel like it.

Man, can't believe I didn't see this thread until now.

Good job signing up for the half marathon. I really love that distance...it's long enough where you really need to train if you don't want to die, but it's not so long that the long runs can be drudgery. My guess is you'll love it...then the marathon (26.2) is not far behind.

I've enjoyed reading the running history of all of you.

Here's my history:

I started running (actually going out running a distance) at age 8. My dad was a runner then (he didn't do it very long and hasn't been a runner now for 30 years), and I used to go with him.

My first organized running came in high school where I ran 4:32 for 1600 meters and 9:48 for 3200 meters. In 1984 as a high school senior, I set the Wood County (Ohio) Cross Country Championships meet record of 15:48 for the 3.1 (5,000 meters) mile course, a record that still stands today. I then went to college and ran for Ohio Wesleyan University. I eventually ran PRs of 9:21 (indoor 2 mile), 14:58 (5k); 32:25 (10k), 1:15 (half marathon) and 2:55 (marathon). I've run 7 marathons and two ultra marathons (a 50 miler and a 40 miler that was up a mountain and back down).

I'm now 44 and haven't been a competitive runner for about 10 years now. I still run (currently about 25 miles a week) but I don't really race much anymore at all. Since being less obsessed with running (in my ultra marathon days, I ran as much as 140 miles a week; but usually in the 90-110 a week range), I have put on some weight, and I find that 25 miles a week by itself doesn't really help with the weight reduction too much for me, and I don't want to run 100 miles a week anymore. So, over the past 10 years I've weighed as much as 197 pounds and as little 133, and I've hit both extremes a couple times. I'm currently on the way back to being fit and am including my stalwart Power 90 along with running to help me get down to where I really should be at about 140 pounds or so (I'm currently about 175).

I'm still involving myself with running though as I am a summer track coach for the Youth Boosters track team (4th grade to 7th grade) in town (my son is in 5th grade and runs on the team, setting a program record in the 1200 meter run last summer). My daughter is in 8th grade and is a varsity runner for her CC and track teams (she almost won her first CC race on Tuesday but was outkicked in the final 100 meters). Anyway, it's fun watching both of them run. My son has a chance to be really really good as he's already better than all the boys on the middle school team, and he can't run on that team for 2 more years still.

Have another cross country meet to watch tonight, and of course it's going to be 93 here today.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

How have you guys found running on your knees? Reason I ask is I've recently started to develop some nagging knee pain in each knee separately. What has helped a lot is cycling - I'm a road cyclist with a relatively nice race bike, and spinning fast for about an hour to 1.5 finally gets the pain worked out and mobility back in. I'm thus scared to try running again.

I've never had an knee pain. My problem (which is common for guys over 40) is with my calves and Achilles tendons; on again off again, so I have stretches when the running is going really well and then I have an injury setback. It's why I've incorporated other types of training to go with the running.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

I've been getting in worse and worse shape as a result of stress, sedentary lifestyle and depression. Blood pressure was bad - like 195/125 bad. Was badly overweight, skin was breaking out, etc.

Swayed by the infomercials I bought a used, legal box of P90x DVDs off craig's list. Best thing I ever did. The workouts are difficult and taxing, no gimmicks or shortcuts. I felt good enough to get back on the road bike. I've put on some muscle, lost a bunch of weight, blood pressure is 110/80, skin's cleared up. That Tony Horton guy in the infomercials is legit.

I completely agree about Tony Horton and the Beach Body stuff. I bought Power 90 (precursor to P90X) in 2003 and have gone through many rounds of it since. It is really awesome. I just finished Day 4 of my current round last night, so I'm just getting back into it. It's really crazy. Just in two sessions of weights (the other two cardio), my biceps are already noticeably bigger and harder. It's insane how quick the initial gains are.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

• 1 month later...

UPDATE: I did my 1/2 marathon (21.1KM), and I am super pleased with how I ended up doing. I came at 1h49m16s, which was right under my goal time. The weather started a little chilly (about -1C), but warmed up to about 5C midway through the run) to me, a perfect day for running. I think that there were a lot of PRs set that day.

My final 3km were brutal on me though. My brain kept telling me to stop. Right at the end I could actually see the finish line and my body was saying, 'you should just walk the rest of the way...'. I didn't, I held in there and made it across. It took a couple of days for my legs to feel normal, but now I am ready to go once more.

Aside, I also started P90X recently, not full on yet because I was still training for my run. I have been interspersing the strength days with my running days... Anyway, so far I love it.

Pull ups suck though... A tip that I learned for anyone else who is having trouble doing pull ups, is to do negatives. Get your chin above the bar by jumping or standing on a chair, and slowy, using your muscles, let yourself back down. A tip for the tip, is don't only do negatives, as you will trick your brain into thinking you can't do an unassisted pullup. Start by trying to do as many pullups as you can, and finish your set with negatives. It has done wonders for me.

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

Phred,

Congrats on your running! I'm a runner, and will be looking to do The Lehigh Valley Half next spring. I top out at about 8 miles now. My goal for this year was 400 miles and one 10 miler. The 400 isn't going to happen, but the 10 miler likely will at the end of October.

I often thought about a runner's thread on this Forum. I know Forumite Stepay is a distance runner. We had a gig Saturday and I had some nagging anxieties about it for some reason, 5K on the trail and a nap took care of that and I think I played my best ever!

There is a trail by my house in Long Valley. An old rail road bed that goes clear to High Bridge - 15 miles, mostly along a river. It's remote, beautiful and well groomed - all granules. I usually do speed intervals once a week at the track and then two medium distance runs per week on pieces of the trail. I love it. Although once I was charged by a fighting dog that I managed to scare off with a primitive scream that I don't where it came from, probably just fear; but that incident scared me so now I carry mace. I'm also a little concerned about bears.

Good luck and keep running! Definitely do that half. And you are not crazy!

Regards,

Joe

I know where that is. My buddy lives in Lambertville.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I'm not running yet, but I've finally gotten my ample butt off the couch. I joined Weight Watchers 7 weeks ago, and have lost 20 lbs. so far. I already had a gym membership, free, through my health insurance, so I decided I needed to start using it.

I set a goal for myself that was met this past Saturday. We had the "Taking Strides for Breast Cancer 5K walk". I participated in that, and felt great afterward.

So my next goal is a 5K coming up in December. I want to try to run at least part of it.

But, I may just walk it, because my wife may want to participate as well, if I can get her started.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

UPDATE: I did my 1/2 marathon (21.1KM), and I am super pleased with how I ended up doing. I came at 1h49m16s, which was right under my goal time. The weather started a little chilly (about -1C), but warmed up to about 5C midway through the run) to me, a perfect day for running. I think that there were a lot of PRs set that day.

My final 3km were brutal on me though. My brain kept telling me to stop. Right at the end I could actually see the finish line and my body was saying, 'you should just walk the rest of the way...'. I didn't, I held in there and made it across. It took a couple of days for my legs to feel normal, but now I am ready to go once more.

Aside, I also started P90X recently, not full on yet because I was still training for my run. I have been interspersing the strength days with my running days... Anyway, so far I love it.

Pull ups suck though... A tip that I learned for anyone else who is having trouble doing pull ups, is to do negatives. Get your chin above the bar by jumping or standing on a chair, and slowy, using your muscles, let yourself back down. A tip for the tip, is don't only do negatives, as you will trick your brain into thinking you can't do an unassisted pullup. Start by trying to do as many pullups as you can, and finish your set with negatives. It has done wonders for me.

Hey Phred, nice job on the half marathon! I know a couple guys who have been running for 20 years who can't (and never could) break 2 hours for a half marathon.

Congrats!

Steve (Stevie Ray)

I'm not running yet, but I've finally gotten my ample butt off the couch. I joined Weight Watchers 7 weeks ago, and have lost 20 lbs. so far. I already had a gym membership, free, through my health insurance, so I decided I needed to start using it.

I set a goal for myself that was met this past Saturday. We had the "Taking Strides for Breast Cancer 5K walk". I participated in that, and felt great afterward.

So my next goal is a 5K coming up in December. I want to try to run at least part of it.

But, I may just walk it, because my wife may want to participate as well, if I can get her started.

Good for you, Mr. Nightime!

Regards,

Joe

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Great for you Mr. Nighttime!!! t feels so great to start doing something like this. My goal is to maintain some level of fitness for the rest of my life. No more being out of hape and unable to keep up with my kids again. They are going to have to kepp up with me!!

Thanks Stepay, I am very happy with my time, it pales in comparison to a lot that are up here (like your PR - wowza...), but for first go, I'll take it.

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

Great for you Mr. Nighttime!!! t feels so great to start doing something like this. My goal is to maintain some level of fitness for the rest of my life. No more being out of hape and unable to keep up with my kids again. They are going to have to kepp up with me!!

Thanks Stepay, I am very happy with my time, it pales in comparison to a lot that are up here (like your PR - wowza...), but for first go, I'll take it.

Whether you're fast or not is all relative. A buddy of mine has run 1:08 for the half...that seems fast to me, but then the American Record held by Ryan Hall is in 59:43...THAT'S insane!

When you consider 95% of American adults can't run ONE mile without stopping, and you ran that half in what likely was in the top 50% of that race (if not even a little better), then that's pretty good brother! Now it's time to run even faster or try 26.2!

Steve (Stevie Ray)

I ran the Inaugural Los Angeles Rock & Roll Half Marathon just this past Sunday. I'm proud to say that for the first time in my life I ran a sub 2-hour Half! I came in at 1:55:59 (bib# 10230), not to bad for a 49 year-old eh? It was my first "Rock & Roll running event and it won't be my last, it was a blast and that company knows how to put on a massive street party! You can check out all the fun at: L.A. Rock and Roll Half Marathon Three weeks before that on October 3rd, I ran my very first full marathon (the Camarillo Marathon) and clocked a 4:36:30
When most people go to work, they work. When musicians go to work, they play. Which do you prefer?

I ran the Inaugural Los Angeles Rock & Roll Half Marathon just this past Sunday. I'm proud to say that for the first time in my life I ran a sub 2-hour Half! I came in at 1:55:59 (bib# 10230), not to bad for a 49 year-old eh? It was my first "Rock & Roll running event and it won't be my last, it was a blast and that company knows how to put on a massive street party! You can check out all the fun at: L.A. Rock and Roll Half Marathon Three weeks before that on October 3rd, I ran my very first full marathon (the Camarillo Marathon) and clocked a 4:36:30

Congrats on the PR for the half! You guys are making me want to do one in the spring.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

Thanks stepay! breaking 2 hours was actually one of my New Years Goals for 2010 that I set for myself back in 12/2009. It feels Great! And BTW I totally agree that race times are highly personal achievements. I know guys that work harder to run 2:50 half marathons than guys that run 1:50 half marathons, it's all about setting personal goals and doing your very best to achieve those goals. ---me, I just run so I can drink beer and not end up with such a big beer belly that I can't reach the keys on my boards!
When most people go to work, they work. When musicians go to work, they play. Which do you prefer?

Just picked up on this thread. Great to read that so many fellow members here run, walk, etc..

I ran, a bit, in my 20's; eventually found that my knees couldn't handle it. I did keep up, somewhat, with cardio, and weights in my 30's, but let things slide a bit in my 40's: I would fast walk a few miles a week, started letting gear/PA moving become my weightlifting.... So the weight I lost in high school - close to 50 lbs - started creeping back on to me.

Moving out to CO has probably been the best thing for me physically. In a little over two years, I've dropped 30 lbs. While we've got lots of uber in-shape people out here (tri-athlete+ types), I would not classify myself in that category. My doctor, who's about 3 years older than me, has climbed all but three of Colorado's 14,000'+ peaks.

Just staying active, walking a bunch, going on hikes at 8,000' and above has done a lot. You learn very quickly what kind of shape you're in when you find yourself doing an uphill walk from 14,050' to 14,250'.... Plus my wife is a freakin' gazelle at this hiking/climbing thing; she flies on the high trails.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Thanks stepay! breaking 2 hours was actually one of my New Years Goals for 2010 that I set for myself back in 12/2009. It feels Great! And BTW I totally agree that race times are highly personal achievements. I know guys that work harder to run 2:50 half marathons than guys that run 1:50 half marathons, it's all about setting personal goals and doing your very best to achieve those goals. ---me, I just run so I can drink beer and not end up with such a big beer belly that I can't reach the keys on my boards!

Yep...highly personal achievements is exactly right. Some people have the inherent talent to roll out of bed with no training and beat me on my best, most fit day of my life, and that hardly seems fair, but that's why you train and goal set based on your OWN talent level and set achievable goals. The nice thing is that you get to set new age group goals as you get older.

I used to run so that I could race well. Then I ran to stay fit and try to keep the weight off. Now I run in part to try to keep up with my kids who at age 13 and 10 are kicking my butt!

Steve (Stevie Ray)

My goal is to maintain some level of fitness for the rest of my life.

That is simply the best way to look at the big picture.

A BIG congrats Phed on your half time, smokin' man. Your training paid off. :thu:

Still Learning- likewise. I know breaking 2 hours for the half is a big goal with many runners so an extra congrats to you on that. We had optimum weather this past sunday so I'm sure that helped. Still as crowded as those R&R events are (I tend to stay away from those, don't like crowds anymore, been there done that) that's an excellent time that corresponds with your Camarillo Marathon time. Congrats on finishing your first Marathon and at 49 no less! :thu: If you only do one or a hundred, the first one is always special.

Mr. Nightime--good for you man. The hardest thing is to start. Ease into it, let your body tell when to increase the intensity and distance. Don't worry about running for right now, walking the 5K would be great! Definitely get your wife going, a couple that trains together, stays together. :)

If I could give any advice to beginning runners or people simply trying to get fit it would be- Listen to your body. Don't do too much too soon, save it for tomorrow, next week, 3 months, a year from now. Look at the big picture. When I run do my Sunday run with a group of runners on the trails , I often get asked the most common question by fellow runners---"so what are you training for"?

My answer is simply, "life and quality of ". :):cool:

My wife and I are running the San Antonio Rock and Roll half marathon in a few weeks. I've been a short distance runner - 3 to 5 miles - for 20 years, but I'd never run more than about 6 miles till a few weeks ago. This Saturday the training schedule says we're running 10 miles. That'll be a personal record.

The running and training together is fun and good for us as a couple, and of course the staying in shape part is good for quality of intima... err, life!

My issue is keeping my weight up... I'm 52, 6 feet tall and only weigh 142 lbs. I'm having to eat more to keep from looking like a scarecrow...

I don't run (though I used to as a kid - track team and whatnot), but I do a lot of walking, and the docs say that my heart and lungs are fine.

Were I to take up exercise, it would probably be a bicycle and some light weights (not trying to be the next Arnold Swartzenegger). Enough to stay in shape, not compete.

I believe the most important thing with exercise is to find something you can do every single day and then do it. Every single day.

I'm not a runner, but have gotten back into doing a yoga routine almost every morning before heading off to work.

I look forward to doing pullups on the monkey bars outside our office building again too.

• 3 weeks later...

I signed up for my first half: St. Lukes Lehigh Valley, May 1, 2011 - yikes. I'll be doing Hal Higdon's plan, along with some short races beforehand (I've never raced).

St. Luke's Half Marathon

There are live bands along the route.

I picked up a used treadmill last weekend for free - Sears ProForm 725TL with a total of 6 hours and 3 miles on it! Never been on a treadmill either, but it should keep me in decent condition through the winter, no excuses now.

Regards,

Joe

Good for you Joe!!! I thoroughly enjoyed my first half. I was very nervous a few days after I signed up, but training helped settle my nerves. I am doing my next half at the end of May. My next race is a 10k on new years day. Could be very cold here...

I like running on a treadmill, but personally I find it more difficult than running the road. Some find it easier, but not me. My advice is to have seperate pace goals - one for road and one for treadmill. They do not need to be the same. Also, it is a little harder to stay motivated on the treadmill. You don't have to turn around and get home like you do on the road. You can step off at anytime. I watch tv, or listen to music on the treadmill, and I don't on the road.

P.S - How did someone take 6hrs to go 3 miles? I suspect you forgot a digit? ;)

Hey Phred,

Thanks for the advice on the treadmill pacing. I never thought they could be different. I'm gonna try to hook up some kind of A/V, I was thinking of renting DVD's from the library and watching movies. Last year I lost a lot of time waiting for ice to melt and came out sluggish. I figure it will also help me in the summer when I find it too hot since the treadmill is in my basement.

10K on New Year's Day in Ottawa??!! Wow, that's gutsy!

No typo on the treadmill data, somebody was definitely not motivated. And those are SLOW miles - even for walking. It was from a friend of my sister-in-law, a woman of size with knee problems...

Regards,

Joe

Doing simple math, that is 0.5 Miles per hour. That is the slowest speed on any treadmill I have ever run on. Also most default to that speed if you just press start (ie - not using a program or anything else)... Perhaps they never used it and just pressed start and went away for 6 hours... Or, they didn't know how to speed it up.

I'm 57 and I average around 30 miles a week but much slower these days. Although last week I had a moment of insanity were I randomly bumped it up to 51 miles running everyday...trying to re-capture my youth. :laugh:

Well since that week of bumping up the mileage to 51 running 7 days straight, (that used to be a normal marathon training week) trying to re-capture my youth, I've been injured. :(

I ran 63 miles 9 days in a row. About day 4 or 5 I started noticing this numb pain on the bottom side , of my right foot, towards the outside. So as typical "runner mentality" goes, I didn't think much of it. After the 9th day in a row the pain after I completed a 7 miler was so severe I could hardly walk. This was Sept. 22.

I tried taking more "off days" and generally scaling back my runs for a month hoping it would go away...it didn't. Went to the podiatrist on 10/17, she took some x-rays, nothing serious showed up like a fracture ( though she told me stress fractures usually don't show up on x-rays) , she thought it was just a deep tendon strain or bruise. She "ordered" me not to run for 3 weeks so I've just been alternating the road and mountain bike and a little gym stuff. I've got a few more days here, it's feeling much better, so hopefully I'll be back running a little by 11/16.

I'm actually enjoying the Mountain bike the most. I've been climbing these Verdugo mountain fireroads in the back of my house 3 or 4 days a week. It's a 3 mile climb, usually takes 40-45 minutes to get to the top. Gets my heart rate up big time. It can be scary coming down though, a lotta loose rocks and huge ruts in the road, really pretty dicey in places so I'm constantly on the brakes.

But I really miss running, hopefully my foot will be cool by next week.

Joe-good luck training on your half. Hal Higdon has some excellent books on training. I have a few of them myself. He's a nice guy to talk to as well. I think I met him at the Boston Marathon Expo years ago.

Well I had my first session on the treadmill last night. Never been on one before. Did 4 miles on it and felt really good. Took some getting used to, and I almost fell off about 2 miles into it because I went to wipe my face with my shirt and accidentally stepped on the stationary side rail. Managed to save it, though. Lesson learned: pay attention to form at all times. When I got off it was the old sea legs/land legs deal which I didn't expect.

It's a good surface, the deck is very forgiving. I had my stereo on but was pretty much staring at a wall. I want to watch DVD's on my lap top eventually, or maybe get a TV down there (basement).

Dave, thanks for the well wishes on the half. I like the looks of the Higdon plan because it is mostly running without drills like speed and hills. It is running, cross training, stretching and strength, I can deal with that, I hate hills but I do repeats and intervals regularly.

And Phred, you were right, I screwed up the numbers on the treadmill use, it was 2 hours & 6 miles. Still not too shabby!

Regards,

Joe