Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best freeware synths 2010

RipperTronic

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What are your favorite freeware softsynths (on either PC or Mac)?

PC:

http://www.geocities.jp/daichi1969/softsynth/

89 banks of patches here (incl. 20 banks of SOS NL 2 patches which partially ned some editing ´cause these were made w/ older versions of Synth 1) ...

http://www.mediafire.com/?5olf8uriplxkd90

also look for the 1st 3 entrys of "technogremlin" for categories of tested freeware here,- it´s updated continuously

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=52382

not synths, but big free reverb test here ...

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php?p=462116&postcount=37

A.C.

> yelllow tools indepedance FRee, pro tools structure free

Well, but these are mainly samplers, aren't they? I meant actual synthesizers - i.e. software capable of generating sound by itself (including wavetable synths, as that is still considered a synthesis technique, strictly speaking).

Hey, while googling around I found this site:

http://krakli.com/

which reports the following "I have already mentioned it but now I can confirm that fans of Krakli can look forward to the release of a Computer Music exclusive in their freeware special which will be released in the UK in October." (snip) "R.I.P. will be featured as part of a collection of 99 amazing free-plug ins for music producers, as selected by Computer Music magazine. The collection containing 99 effects, synths, other instruments, utilities and more will be issued with Computer Music Special 44, which also includes a complete guide to all the featured plug-ins, plus step-by-step tutorials. The magazine/DVD will be available from 20 October in the UK, with worldwide distribution to follow."

So there's gonna be some special coverage on freeware synthesizers on the October issue of CM: that's interesting.

There aren't that many that I keep coming back to...of course KVR audio has a listing.

One freebie I found there that I like is "Superwave P8".

Superwave P8 is a good freebee, a bit specialized on that "supersaw" thingy, but it´s old, which makes it necessary to test it for the "multicore bug".

All older freeware synths for PC made w/ Synthedit before Synthedit itself was able to run on multiprocessor machines have this bug and that means you can only run ONE instance of that plugin in a host. If you use 2 or more instances, it crashes the host.

So,- we should talk about the new and updated 2010 freebees for PC only.

Daichi Synth 1 is also a old one, but was updated 3 times this year.

There´s a follow up synth for Superwave P8, but is commercial now.

A.C.

> RMXL is a good one

Also this one is Windows only... anything for Mac?

I believe, 99% of freeware is for PC and most Mac users are using payware only,- w/ some exceptions as always.

But I know, many Mac (and Logic) users I know, have a PC in addition, running a VST host to use all the VST plugins for PC.

There are different ways they link the different platforms,- FX Teleport, VST system link (if they have Cubase/Nuendo on Mac and VStack on PC) or simple connections via MIDI and lightpipe p.ex..

I doubt, there´s much freeware for the Mac,- otherwise you´d get many answers here.

A.C.

I doubt, there´s much freeware for the Mac,- otherwise you´d get many answers here.

That's rather faulty logic, frankly.

One of the best sites for freeware VSTs for either platform is www.dontcrack.com. Lots of options available (890 freeware offerings for Mac, 1101 for PC).

:wave:

Thx for correction, I wasn´t aware of this relation.

Well, I switched to PC many years ago,- the latest Mac I have is a G3 running Logic 4.8 and Sounddiver 3 talking MIDI to hardware instruments ... :-)

A.C.

One that I use quite a bit is Basic64. It's great for those vintage video game type sounds. I use Vivaldi fairly often also, which is an FM synth. I'm sure there are others I use often that were free, but my memory ain't so great.

The free plugin I definitely use the most is Voxengo SPAN. It's a frequency analyzer, not a synth, but it's butter.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's the list of freeware synths - in alphabetical order - selected by Computer Music Special for their "ESSENTIAL SELECTION 2010" (issue No. 44, out today in the UK):

Alionoctis Free (PC): Atmospheric synth

Analog Box (PC): Modular synthesis system

Angelina (PC): Breathy vocal synth

Arppe2600va (PC): Classic ARP 2600 emulation

Autogun (PC): Adventurous synth

Avatar ST Basic Free (PC): Atmospheric synth

Chimera (PC): Out-of-this-world synth

daHornet (PC&Mac): Virtual analogue synth

DSK Synthopia 2 (PC): Three synths in one

FMMF (PC): FM synthesiser emulator

Jasuto (PC&Mac): Powerful, fully modular synth

KX*Synth-X16 (PC): Classic EMS VCS3 emulation

MinimogueVA (PC): Classic Minimoog recreation

P8 (PC): Virtual analogue synth

PhysiX (PC): True physical modelling synth

Plastique (PC): Casio HT'700 recreation

Rainbow (PC): FM, additive and subtractive synth

Rez v2.0 (PC): Virtual analogue synth

R.I.P. (PC): Special edition pad synth

S3B (PC): Atmospheric pad synth

TAL*Elek7ro (PC&Mac): Virtual analogue synth

TAL*Vintager (PC&Mac): Simple monophonic analogue synth

Texture (PC): Virtual analogue synth

Vogue Quattro (Mac): Microtonal polysynth

Too bad the vast majority of them is PC-only, and I'm wondering how many of these PC synths were made with SynthEdit. Surprisingly enough, Ichiro Toda's "Synth 1" (which is not made with SynthEdit afaik) is not in the list! Hmm...

NB: there is a separate selection of free samplers and other instruments on the same issue.

Here's the list of freeware synths - in alphabetical order - selected by Computer Music Special for their "ESSENTIAL SELECTION 2010" (issue No. 44, out today in the UK):

thx for the list !

I'm wondering how many of these PC synths were made with SynthEdit.

Plugins made w/ Synthedit don´t have to be bad,- there are some good commercial ones made w/ Synthedit basicly,- Memorymoon "Memorymoon", "Messiah" & "ME80" are made w/ Synthedit as also Sonic Projects OPX !

Surprisingly enough, Ichiro Toda's "Synth 1" (which is not made with SynthEdit afaik) is not in the list! Hmm...

Yep,- "Synth 1" is a classic and even better in vers. 1.12 from 2010.

Unfortunally, w/ this update, many of the patces done w/ older versions don´t sound exactly the same anymore,- I´ve found some of the SOS NL2 patches behave incorrect.

A.C.

Hey, thanks for the list. Yeah, it is too bad that most are PC, but I'll check out some of the Mac stuff (I use both PC and Mac, but the Mac's what I use for audio stuff).

Archived