Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Quality speakers for the M08

BroMor

Hi, folks.

I bought a KC550 about three years ago to go with my DG Yamaha. The KC really is a power-house (in my price range). Tom Sawyer smokes.

Last summer ('09) I bought an M08 - finally portable weighted keys. As it turns out, I am doing less rock.

So, I would like a full-range set of speakers for my keyboard. I want to project the piano as perfect as I can get it - but under a thousand U.S. I am playing nursing homes, and small outdoor-in-the-park concerts. We are a trumpet, oboe, baritone, keyboard and vocals.

Any suggestions, please?

Thanks,

Walt

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

K10 works fine in nursing home - just because it can get LOUD doesn't mean that it has to. I have a pair of K10's, lot of my shorter and smaller gigs, I only carry one (doesn't weigh a whole lot more than the CM30 that I also have as a small monitor. I don't use the CM30 as much since I got the K10's (although it is good sounding as long as I never overdrive it). At age 69, I don't carry more than needed.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

QSC K10s - for a nursing home? How about a couple of Roland CM30s?

Outdoor gig with that line up - is everyone miked? Your KC550 if there's no PA. One of your CM30s as a monitor if there is.

This is what is referred to as "shortsighted thinking". Today it's a nursing home, tomorrow it's a block party for 100 people.

But hey, whatever floats your boat. :thu:

OK, mono. You mean you don't see any value in the stereo patches? Am I missing something?

A thousand watts, by the way, geez! The KC550 is 180 watts. For ball-park same price, I am wondering how that is even possible.

I played Sunday and had available to me 2 Yorkville amps. I used a Kawai stage piano and I went stereo for the first time ever in a live job. I have ALWAYS used mono in the past. The Kawai sounded the best it ever has, especially the EPs which I think are usually pretty lame but functional enough for a live setting. The pianos sounded much beter also.

I have no idea what it sounded like out front.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

OK, mono. You mean you don't see any value in the stereo patches? Am I missing something?

A thousand watts, by the way, geez! The KC550 is 180 watts. For ball-park same price, I am wondering how that is even possible.

It's called Class D amplification, and the specs may be a bit suspect. But those new K's are loud and clean.

Without rehashing the subject there's nothing wrong with going stereo. It's a personal choice, although the ability to send a mono signal to the mains is rather important once you get to that level.

There's also nothing wrong with a couple of cheap powered Peaveys at your level. If you want to go out to the top end of your budget, a pair of Eon 300s are around a grand. They'll reproduce a piano that's about as accurate as the piano in a MO. ;)

I have a single CM-30 - which I use either with very small acoustic guitar / keyboard group very occasionally - but this is in a small room the size of a larger home living room. It is clean sounding - until you hit its limit, then it squashed up quickly. My main use for it is to put it on a mic stand, put it a couple of feet away from me, and use it as a monitor in cramped situations where the FOH main sound system gets a direct feed and all I need is a monitor.

I also have a pair of the older JBL EON10's - you can pick up used ones in good condition for about $300 to $350 each - I use them now for the family keyboard in our living room, but I did gig with them until I got the QSC K10's. They have more than enough power for what you are describing. Trust me - more than enough is MUCH BETTER than just enough or less than enough.

I had a pair of off-brand "DJ" type powered speakers - 10" with 100watts, they worked fine for vocal stage monitors, but had a big honk on one or two lower notes on the keyboard, where they were resonant. They were a bunch cheaper than the JBLs, but did not sound so good.

In your situation, I'd much rather buy only one GOOD cabinet now, then add another later as funds become available (if you decide you need it) than buy two lesser-quality cabinets -- that road always leads to dissatisfaction.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Bill, I looked up class D amps. It looks like they have efficiency advantages. Were you saying that the QSC K10s, or the KC550 are class D? I am guessing that the QSC is class D since you get more bang for the same buck. Would you be kind enough to clarfiy?

Sven: I wish I had the money to plan for my eventual fame. :-)

QSC Ks, current JBL Eons and PRXs, and now even some Behringer powered cabs have class D amplification in them. Peavey has just released a series of dedicated class D power amps, but I don't think they have any powered speakers with this technology - yet. But it's coming if not here already, and it could already be here because I really don't keep up with all of it.

If you really want to think long term, a quality powered speaker like a K10 or K12 now with another when you can afford it will give you years of satisfactory amplification, and will probably far outlast your MO. But sometimes you have to think shorter term. In that case buying used over Craigslist isn't a bad way to go.

Also, check the forum's classified ads, as I think there might be some active monitors for sale by people here, including the E/V SXA360.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Archived