Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fender Rhodes "Jetson's Edition"?

MuzikTeechur

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, that's the education model of Rhodes. Berklee College of Music had tons of them when I attended. They fed into a central control unit where the instructor could listen to any individual player in the room through headphones, and other features as well. But I recall that they got pretty beat up fairly quickly.

It might be worth something as a collectors instrument if you tune it and repair what the owner says should be done. I had a felt tip hammer Rhodes with the old tines and I didn't like it. It might have been fine for light jazz or not. The felt tip hammers were much to mellow and the reasons those tines were redesigned was they broke, literally. I'd take my Mark 1 Suitcase Piano over that any day, if I planned on playing it.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I see these now and then on ebay. Even in great condition, they don't fetch a high price since they're so heavy.

The old Raymac tines are indeed a lot easier to break, and harder to find for replacement. But it's a very cool tone.

Would it have the square resonator bars too? I suspect it would.

I wouldn't mind a full set of the square resonators. There was a transition period in the early 70s with new tines, new hammers/neophrene tips, and old resonators. The fabled "model E" rhodes - a rental piano in high demand during the halcyon days in LA - was one of these pianos. It appeared on Steely Dan, Al Jerreau, lots of artists.

I wouldn't mind a full set of the square resonators. There was a transition period in the early 70s with new tines, new hammers/neophrene tips, and old resonators. The fabled "model E" rhodes - a rental piano in high demand during the halcyon days in LA - was one of these pianos. It appeared on Steely Dan, Al Jerreau, lots of artists.

I think you're referring to the Eddie Reynolds modded Rhodes. I don't think it had the square tonebars. There was a silver colored tonebar they used for awhile after the square ones.

I believe the guts of the student models were identical to the normally marketed ones. I bought a 1972 student model and put the guts into a regular case and still have it.

JP

1935 Mason & Hamlin Model A

Korg Kronos 2 73

Nord Electro 6D 61

Yam S90ES

Rhodes Stage 73 (1972)

Archived