Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Piano!

Dave Pierce

I didn't have time to post this yesterday. My wife is so cool. I mean, really, so cool.

I came home yesterday, and she had surprised me by replacing my crappy rental piano with a really nice rental piano -- a Yamaha U1 upright. I really plays very, very nicely. Light-years better than the old one.

According to the serial number, it was made in 1971. Seems to be in great shape (although I'm certainly no expert on acoustic pianos).

Plus, it's a nice shiny ebony, which matches my home MUCH better than the old wood one did.

It's good to be king. :D

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice, Dave! Congratulations. Since you never check FB you probably didn't know Audrey hinted at a surprise she had for you on my page before she sprung it on you ... ha!

So she got one that matched your decor, so I guess you won't be needing to consider taking my upright. :)

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

Nice, Dave! Congratulations. Since you never check FB you probably didn't know Audrey hinted at a surprise she had for you on my page before she sprung it on you ... ha!

So she got one that matched your decor, so I guess you won't be needing to consider taking my upright. :)

Yeah. It would be easy to joke that matching the decor was her issue. But the truth is it was important to me too. This is the first home that we've owned, and we are slowly trying to decorate it to be a reflection of our own tastes and preferences. In July we replaced the chairs and couches, and at that point everything in the living room was timeless and tasteful black -- except for the piano. It really stuck out like a sore thumb.

It looks really great now.

But I wasn't expected to get such a good quality piano! I've wanted one for a long time, but there are lots of things I could spend money on, and it's been hard to prioritize an expensive, top-notch piano to the top of the list.

Anyway, I don't think I'll be letting the rental company get this one back. I think they will credit six months of rental towards a purchase, so I'll figure out how to buy this thing next spring, if all goes well. And if not, well, I can at least keep renting it. ;)

BTW, Michelle, Audrey showed me the video from your show, very cool!

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

BTW, Michelle, Audrey showed me the video from your show, very cool!

--Dave

Thanks, Dave! There will be more up at some point ... my son has been really sick with colds and flu and I'm exhausted, but when things get less crazy I'll be posting vid of my own that will be longer clips, better quality, etc.

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

Kewl. :thu:

I grew up playing a Yamaha U1 in my parent's house. It was built in the late 60s. It's still there and still plays great. Just goes to show how long a well-maintained, well-built piano can last.

I bought my P22 10 years ago & it really still seems "new"

Yamaha P22 Upright / Nord Stage 2 SW73

Archived